Kitchen Knives

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Kitchen Knives

Post by MacManiac »

We are considering buying a new Chef’s knife and a new Carving knife. Can anyone recommend where we can look for a reasonable selection?
Maggie B

Re: Kitchen Knives

Post by Maggie B »

I would HIGHLY recommend Global knives. Scary on your pocket . . . . . . . . But, even scarier for the poor onions you are going to shave to within an inch of their lives!!😆

I love, absolutely love cooking. The Japanese knives are just SECOND TO NONE.

I started out with a Cooks Knife, which was on offer in my local ironmongery shop for around £50 a few years ago (In UK). Got the bug . . . .And am now the very proud owner of many Global knives. My ultimate is to own the Carving Knife . . . . . . . But, my OH still loves his 42 year old Sabatier carving knife, so I ain't getting one any time soon!

My knives are extremely precious to me and I take great care of them. In fact, I reckon this is a whole subject in itself.

However, all I can say with absolute assurance is; don't buy cheap and cheerful because they will NOT last you at least 42 years. 🤔😁

Maggie B

PS I know for sure my Global knives will be passed on, and used by my children when I am happily cooking stews in heaven. 😁
WHL

Post by WHL »

Maggie B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:28 pm I would HIGHLY recommend Global knives. Scary on your pocket . . . . . . . . But, even scarier for the poor onions you are going to shave to within an inch of their lives!!😆

I love, absolutely love cooking. The Japanese knives are just SECOND TO NONE.

I started out with a Cooks Knife, which was on offer in my local ironmongery shop for around £50 a few years ago (In UK). Got the bug . . . .And am now the very proud owner of many Global knives. My ultimate is to own the Carving Knife . . . . . . . But, my OH still loves his 42 year old Sabatier carving knife, so I ain't getting one any time soon!

My knives are extremely precious to me and I take great care of them. In fact, I reckon this is a whole subject in itself.

However, all I can say with absolute assurance is; don't buy cheap and cheerful because they will NOT last you at least 42 years. 🤔😁

Maggie B

PS I know for sure my Global knives will be passed on, and used by my children when I am happily cooking stews in heaven. 😁
Totally agree, my daughter bought us a couple as a gift, and then the other kids started adding to them, and now we have a full set, the only problem is they are very very sharp, so always take care or you will be cutting your fingers.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I would also recommend Global knives even though the price might bring tears to your eyes, they are well worth the investment. I have a full set and can’t imagine being without them.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:59 am Maggie, I trust you never put your 'extremely precious' knives in the dishwasher :o
NEVER ever, EVER. 😈 THE morning I opened the dishwasher after 'Him indoors' had done the dishes and I found my beloved global vegetable knife in there. . . . . . . . . . . Was the morning he knew without any shadow of a doubt . . . . . . . .how close, so very close . . . . . He came to being a EUNUCH. :twisted:

Just a No No.

Maggie B

PS Austin 7, I am a patient and understanding person (seriously) but, there are some things in this life that just turn me into a complete BAMPOT. 🤣🤣🤣
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

WHL and Aphrodite, I thought it was only me that 'Loved ' my knives so much! 🤣🤣

Please please go onto utube and type . . . . .'something like' how to use a global knife. There are too many to choose from but, one 2.5 minute clip changed my cooking life and how I prepared food. . . . . .And more importantly, how I used a knife.

It drives me flipping crackers watching chefs chop chop and chopping stuff, when they really should be using their knives with respect . . . . . . . And slicing, slicing slicing stuff. In the words of the the Japanese Master NO CHOPPING, You must srice srice srice. (His words).

Once I properly learned that, there was no going back. I practiced, and within NO time at all, I have just got it because it made complete and utter sense to me. Don't blunt your blades.

Maggie B
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Dammit Austin 7. I have just realised you were taking the Michael. The TITLE Reprobate suits you so Well!!! 🤣😍 In fact, I so could have used a bad word . . . . . . . .but, I am a LADY. 👿

MB

Plonker 🤣
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Very tasty . . . . . . . . . I imagine? 😲🤢

MB
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

WHL. A sharp knife is FAR far safer than a blunt one. A lot of peeps just don't get that!

A sharp knife is like 'slicing through butter with a hot knife' as you know. But, trying to to cut through anything with a blunt knife is like when you put so much pressure on something to cut it . . . . . . And slightly miss!!!! That's when the blood and pain starts. 😲😨😭

Maggie

PS. However, I have said previously, this is a whole subject in itself. Some people will dislike Global knives because you have to just get that 'balanced' feel in your hand when you're preparing food. I Love ALL of their big knives but, the wee dinky Global vegetable knife I have, just doesn't do it for me. It's as sharp a razor but, I prefer my Victironox £5 veggie knife because it feels right in my hand and I can peel tatties in the blink of an eye. 😁
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I do not like what are usually sold as vegetable knives as I find the blades too short. I used to pinch one of Dave's knives from his cheffing days, until he got fed up with me blunting it on carrots and the like and bought me a Sabatier which I still use many years later although after being sharpened so much, the blade is now curved where it used to be straight! I also have a set we bought in a box from Sozos (as is usual with that store, we went in for one thing and came out with much more😀) and I choose which knife to use according to what I am doing.
And although I bung just about everything in the dishwasher, my kitchen knives NEVER go in there, being lovingly (and carefully, because I keep the blades very sharp) washed by hand.

The worst cut I ever had was when I was slicing a French stick and the bread knife skittered across the crusty top and cut into the first joint of my finger. It is very difficult to sharpen a serrated edged blade, and this particular knife's best days were behind it - thus proving that sharp blades are less dangerous than blunt! 😀
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

This thread is one of the reasons reading this forum is so much fun. Lots of suggestions about very expensive (and desirable) knives but no suggestion about where I could buy them from.

Our old knives - and they are old - are Sabatier. I found a set on Amazon at a good price yesterday. “Result,” I thought and then discovered that they could not be sent to Cyprus. This is an increasing frustration as Amazon, and its resellers, will send stuff all over Europe but not here.