S1 Healthcare - How long will it continue in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

S1 Healthcare - How long will it continue in Cyprus?

Post by galexinda »

People already living in the EU who have their healthcare funded by the UK, including pensioners and students, will have their healthcare costs covered for 6 months if we leave without a deal.

The government has proposed to each EU member state that, if we leave without a deal, existing healthcare arrangements continue until 31 December 2020 in the same way that they do now.

Discussions are ongoing but if arrangements with all member states have not been finalised by 31 October, Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock has today confirmed the government will provide support to around 180,000 UK nationals living in the EU who currently have their healthcare costs paid for by the UK for a 6-month period following exit day. This includes pensioners, students, those on disability benefits and UK workers temporarily posted in the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... 31-october
WHL

Re: S1 Healthcare - How long will it continue in Cyprus?

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm No mention then of the bi-lateral agreement that was in place before eu, for both pension increases and medical payment
I think that agreement died a death, when Cyprus became an EU member.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

So after the 6 month period will the option to pay a small percentage of our income to remain in Gesy ?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Mrblobby wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:32 pm So after the 6 month period will the option to pay a small percentage of our income to remain in Gesy ?
If the bi-lateral agreement is gone then I can't see that being possible unless you're a permanent resident. I'm a long way from State Pension age and my plan was always to get the MEU1 then pay private until I had my MEU3 at which time we would be eligible to join GESY.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm The email I recently received from the Ministry of Health confirms my membership of GESY with an S1 form until 'INDEFINATELY' and also confirms I need to make no contributions. Wonder if this will change!
Robert, a Pensioner can join Gesy with an MEU 1
Trev..
Robert

Post by Robert »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm Robert, a Pensioner can join Gesy with an MEU 1
Currently yes but as a 3rd country national it will depend on what is agreed. Gesy states you are a beneficiary if "a) you are employed, or b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or c) you have been granted refugee or supplementary protection status, or d) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or e) you are insured in another EU Member State." So if you're a pensioner on an MEU1 without "insurance" from the UK (ie an S1) I read that as you will not be covered until a permanent resident.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

My carer is a 3rd country national with 'Temporary Residence visa'. I pay Social Insurance for him based on his wages. He is covered by GESY. So I would see no reason (if it comes to the crunch) why UK citizens who are also residents of Cyprus, would not be covered by GESY.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The reason your employee is covered is because he is working which is the first GESY qualifying criteria. Retirees and early retirees as third country nationals will need to have MEU3/permanent resdiency unless there is some other agreement made or they may have to get a job until they get their MEU3!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way