Immigration today ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Immigration today ...

Post by MacManiac »

My wife and I went to Immigration today to try and sort out our MEU3 documentation. My goodness ... I wish we had never bothered. We arrived at about 10.00 and went up in the lift. We had even managed to find a legal and easy parking space outside.

The lift doors opened and we were assailed with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. There was a queue outside the waiting room and, although we did not notice immediately, there were dozens of people sitting on the the stairs as well. A British couple were leaving and wished us “Good Luck”. The waiting area was heaving with people (at a guess there must have been seventy people crammed in there).

What was even worse was that I could see no staff there at all. The enquiry window was closed.

We realised we could not wait as my wife would not have been able to stand for hours on end. We adjourned for coffee and I went back up there about an hour later. The enquiry window was still closed and there were even more people than before waiting. The paid agents were getting quite frantic too. I spoke to a couple of people and nobody could explain what was happening.

Tomorrow I shall ring Gwenny’s Red Tape and see what help they can offer. What a farce ...
MacManiac

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by MacManiac »

As my wife almost died last year, and was bed-ridden for months, this has almost been the first opportunity for us to visit Immigration.

Thank goodness for the self-righteous...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

It was fairly organised when people were given an appointment but now people can just turn up with the required paperwork, complete the application form and have the interview for MEU1 or MEU3 it was bound to cause chaos and certainly unfair on those who do have an appointment.

Whilst many people may be leaving the process until the last minute, many of those applicable for MEU3 are doing it as soon as they reach the magic 5 year eligibility date.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

A friend went yesterday at 11.30 and she said it was ok. Only 2 people in front of her. Might be worth another go if you can face it?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If Gwenny is unable to help I have been given the contact number for Melanie 99173608 who offers a similar service and accompanies you to Immigration which is certainly not a place for people who are in ill health but necessary to be there to have the photograph taken. Hopefully MacManiac one of the agents will be able to fast track you through, taking into account your wife's ill health, even to the extent of walking you both directly into the office where the interview takes place.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

These headlines are in the Cyprus Mail today..
"British expats in Cyprus given an extra year to apply for residence permits"... to December 31st, 2020

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/09/18/brit ... e-permits/
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thank you for the positive comments regarding Immigration. My wife’s health is a hundred times better than last year but she is still unable to deal with standing for any length of time. I shall contact Gwenny tomorrow and avail myself of her services. The news that Trevnhil quoted I read this evening with much relief. And the information regarding Melanie is very welcome. We are as legal as it is possible to be (MEU1, legal rental agreement, registered for tax etc.) and would just like this sorted. It is heartwarming when forum members come up with positive and friendly advice.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Glad to hear your wife is getting better. Good luck with getting MEU3 sorted. As you may know, we used Gwenny for the convenience of it and I am glad we did. We were in the immigration dept. for about 30 seconds, photo taken and off we went. It took about 3 months for the document to arrive but all sorted now and one less thing to worry about.
boycott

Post by boycott »

What form does the MEU3 come in? ie an A4 piece of paper like the MEU1, or a credit card type like the ID card?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

boycott wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am What form does the MEU3 come in? ie an A4 piece of paper like the MEU1, or a credit card type like the ID card?
An A4 piece of paper with all your details on.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Thank you Jimgym.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Today, 27 Sep, a 2 1/2hr wait. My application was refused previously by Nicosia because my 5 year Utility statement was from CYTA. I now have to go to EAC to get a Statement even though the letter refusing my application said Utility bills for telephones were acceptable. When I get the EAC Statement my application will be approved.

Alan
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:24 pm It was fine when I did it early this year, but then I didn't leave it to the last minute 8-)
Some don’t or didn’t get a choice to get their MEU3 at an earlier stage, my 5 yr period was up end of September so my appointment is in Oct and as I work I am limited to what date I can go, I don’t unfortunately have the flexibility of some
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
boycott

Post by boycott »

Well there is no panic at Limassol Immigration for MEU3's.

Went in last week to make an appointment, saw the lady dealing with them straight away and was given a sheet of paper of what was required, (different to what is online, no utility bills required, just bank statements, title deeds, photo, passport, Alien papers), told to come back with documents between 0745 and 1030 any day.
Went back following day seen straight away, application approved and told to come back following week for confirmation papers and did so and then told MEU3 will come by post within a month.

All easy peasy.
emgee

Post by emgee »

I started the process in April. Told by immigration to return with documents any day which I did. Plan B You now have to make an appointment, which I did then got a letter on Wednesday saying CYTA Statement unacceptable as a Utility input.

Alan
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just don't understand it emgee as it is only recently that the documents for MEU3 provide an option, rather than when we did it last December and had to provide one of everything. This is the most recent list of documents required for MEU3:

If you already have the MEU1 [yellow slip] and have been here for 5 years, then you need to apply for your MEU3 [permanent residency]. Please note the procedure for this has changed in that you can now go down to Immigration with all the following documentation and they will process this whilst you wait [it is not known how long you may have to wait but it means if you go with all your paperwork you only have the one visit to make!]:

- completed MEU3 application - they will give you the simple form to complete when you arrive at Immigration. You can see the form and download copies if you wish [one per applicant] here moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf/All/D1D71A1CD6E43223C2257D2C00459524?OpenDocument
- Yellow slip [MEU1] and copy
-Rental agreement for last 5 years, and copy OR property sale contract and copy, OR title deed and copy
-Utility bills or statement for last 5 years and copy OR
-Water or electric bills or statement for last 5 years and copy OR
-Bank statements for last 5 years and copy OR
-Social insurance certificate for contributions for last 5 years by month and copy
-Passport and copy
-Marriage certificate and copy
-€20 per person application fee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

How do wives manage to provide 5 years utility bills if everything is in the name of the husband ??
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

They accepted our Five years of electricity bills even though they are in my name only....
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

If you have an mue1 why do you need to get involved in the rush at immigration for an meu3 ? What is the advantage of one over the other as things stand currently.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One immediate advantage of MEU3 is that the person is eligible to the GESY state healthcare system which is a great incentive for those who retired early and now live in Cyprus and previously had to rely on private medical cover until they reach the state pension age applicable to their respective country.

There is a huge difference between right to residence and permanent residence and information can be found on other official websites.

For the sake of a €20 fee, completing an application form, providing documented proof and attending an interview I fail to see why people are so reluctant to regularise their residence status once they are eligible after 5 years of living in Cyprus.