Immigration today ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by galexinda »

As for those who haven't even bothered to get the MEU1 - surely even the asylum seekers have a more legal right to be here as at least their presence is on record with the Immigration Department?
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

I was enquiring because my partner cannot apply for the MEU3 since she has only resided in Cyprus for 3 years. We are both in the Gesy system and receive the full healthcare that system provides. Therefore I am still unsure what immediate benefits an MEU3 would be to me because if my partner has to leave Cyprus then obviously I would also.leave.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The one thing ive learnt in life is, if you want peace of mind, do things by the legal book ,,,,,ducking and diving will only come back to bite you on the bum one day.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Went to see the agent who handled our application 6 months ago was told because of the volume of applications could be another 6 months before we hear anything, they are concentrating on the most recent ones.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Both myself and my wife hold MEU1 certificates issued on 26/11/14. Does anyone know if the Immigration Department will entertain applications for MEU3s marginally before the 5 year qualifying date of 26/11/19. Any advice?
Pinleyb93

Post by Pinleyb93 »

Went to Immigration 3 weeks ago yesterday, received our Meu 3 in today's post.
boycott

Post by boycott »

What does one do with the newly acquired MEU3?

Do you carry it with you in Cyprus?
When one travels abroad?
Do you need it to get back into Cyprus?
memory man

Post by memory man »

I came across this info. today......................

New Residency Certificate from January 1, 2021

Cyprus authorities will issue a new type of residence certificate which will be in line with the Withdrawal Agreement and will protect the UK nationals’ rights as citizens, even after Brexit.
As of January 1, 2021, at the end of the Transition Period, the holders of MEU1 or MEU3 will be entitled to request this new residence certificate.

another certificate !!!!!!!

LINK TO SOURCE
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Varky wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:56 pm Both myself and my wife hold MEU1 certificates issued on 26/11/14. Does anyone know if the Immigration Department will entertain applications for MEU3s marginally before the 5 year qualifying date of 26/11/19. Any advice?
The simple answer is NO. You have to have proof of living in Cyprus for five years. IE; Bank statement, electric bills for five continuous years.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But of course Varky may well have been here 5 years or more and may be able to prove it. I doubt the date on his MEU1 is when he actually arrived here... He just has to be able to prove he has been here continuously for 5 years ...
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

So, off we went to Immigration Dept. today with all the necessary documentation and copies to start the MEU3 process. Up to the 2nd floor in the lift. Came out the lift to be welcomed by a jam packed room with people spilling out into the lift lobby. So we turned around and got back into the lift before they had closed behind us and we came home.

So, what is the best time/day to go there. Any recommendations?
emgee

Post by emgee »

They close at 2.30, try mid-day.

Good luck.

Alan
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Slightly off topic, today went to transport dept on the Mesogi road to change my UK drivers licence for a Cyprus one. I arrived at 10:45 and took ticket no.83. The 2 women were dealing with no. 50, so I sat for a long wait. After an hour they were then dealing with no.55, so I said to myself at that rate they'd get to my number around 4pm after they'd gone home, so that's what I did; drove home to try another day!
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

There in lies a perceived problem with using agents, they effectively queue jump.
I have seen them go behind the staff counters at our local Transport office and leave a pile of applications with paper clipped cash on them for the staff to deal with. Our local office has two clerks and they deal with the steady flow of orderly but generally cheesed off queues. Once an agent pops in to leave their clients paperwork one of the staff drops serving the line of customers and gets on with the paperwork the agent leaves. they make no secret of the process.
Cant say I'm complaining or even "innocent" as I used an agent who charged €30 to complete the gift of property division paperwork to my wife some years ago and that saved several hours at the Land Registry.
Our local Citizens Service Centre does not do licence swops from UK to CY, they have notices displayed to that effect.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As far as I know the Citizens Centre do not do UK drivers licence change for a Cyprus one
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

bromerzz wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm There in lies a perceived problem with using agents, they effectively queue jump.
I have seen them go behind the staff counters at our local Transport office and leave a pile of applications with paper clipped cash on them for the staff to deal with. Our local office has two clerks and they deal with the steady flow of orderly but generally cheesed off queues. Once an agent pops in to leave their clients paperwork one of the staff drops serving the line of customers and gets on with the paperwork the agent leaves. they make no secret of the process.
Cant say I'm complaining or even "innocent" as I used an agent who charged €30 to complete the gift of property division paperwork to my wife some years ago and that saved several hours at the Land Registry.
Our local Citizens Service Centre does not do licence swops from UK to CY, they have notices displayed to that effect.
Hadn't even thought of that. Doesn't that make them effectively illegal, if they are basically bribing government employees to get favourable treatment, or have I misunderstood you?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We had free help years ago with our MEU 1 application and we never had to attend. We just enclosed photos, passports etc
Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Well we did our own MEU3 form filling, absolutely no hanging around, we had everything ready as they asked, home in less than an hour with no agents fees at all, it is not rocket science, I am fairly dense in these matters but even I had no problems, Our new MEU3 came withing a couple of weeks in the post, we were advised to get the new MEU3 asp, and we did not wait for the last hurrahs of Brexit to get it done.

I honestly wish all members good luck getting the correct MEU3. we found it a breeze.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

JimX wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 am Well we did our own MEU3 form filling, absolutely no hanging around, we had everything ready as they asked, home in less than an hour with no agents fees at all, it is not rocket science, I am fairly dense in these matters but even I had no problems, Our new MEU3 came withing a couple of weeks in the post, we were advised to get the new MEU3 asp, and we did not wait for the last hurrahs of Brexit to get it done.

I honestly wish all members good luck getting the correct MEU3. we found it a breeze.
Like you we did the same. We sailed through with not a single problem. Without the huge charges that Gwenny makes
All things are possible
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Well as I posted earlier applied six months ago still waiting.