Top Tips

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Top Tips

Post by Dominic »

Some times juicy tips get posted, and it is all too easy to miss them. The best will be saved here. If you see a post that was particularly informative, and deserves a wider audience, then send me a PM or start a thread about it. Basically, let me know about it.

If I think it is indeed, a top tip, then I will add it here. Don't be offended if I don't post it though. Only the very best tips will appear here.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Cleaning Your Pool After The Dust

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm I am not a pool cleaner, but owning several pools the last 33 years
in CY, some advice:

As there is more water in the pools as normal after the good rain
leave the pool alone that the fine dust can settle to the ground for 2 days (pool pump off).
Then hoover SLOWLY, not in filter position but on position Waste as most filters cannot
cope with the fine dust which will then come back in the pool. Mind the water level!
Good success. (I hate pool cleaning)
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Top Tips

Post by Dominic »

Lincoln wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 5:25 pm Put your email address in your passport where it ask's for contacts.

An american was in malaya. he changed some money at a exchange counter and left behind his passport and boarding pass. It was not noticed for 20 minutes, when another customer pointed it out. There was no address or telephone number inside it but only an email address. the teller quickly sent an email Soon the american was back to collect his passport as he was checking emails in the taxi,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:41 pm If your property is more than 6-8 years old, here's something you should do without delay.

I'll bet, like me, most people never get around to periodically testing those widgy little taps (see pic below) which you'll find on the water inlet pipes on your sinks, WCs, dishwasher and washing machine. By testing I mean turn them off, then on, every 6 months or so. If you don't do this regularly you will find that the taps may seize up completely. If they seize up, you won't be able to turn the water off in the event of a tap or hose failure. Last year we had a plumber go through the whole house and replace every single one of these taps and hoses. Why?

One day I was sitting at the office desk at home when I heard a loud whooshing noise. It took me 10 seconds to figure out that the noise was coming from the cupboard under the kitchen sink. One of the flexible inlet hoses to one of the taps had burst and water was gushing everywhere! Fortunately, the widgy tap was not seized up...and I was able to turn it off, assisted by a pair of pliers. Had I not been able to turn the tap off, the outcome would have been a lot, lot, messier. Had I not been at home, the outcome doesn't bear thinking about.

Following this incident I tested all similiar taps in the house and found that 30-50% of them had seized up. So to prevent anything like this happening again for a long time, I had all the hoses and taps replaced with new. Several hundred Euros of course...but peace of mind.

Go check your taps...and if over a certain age would suggest replacing them and the accompanying hoses with new. You just never know when they might fail.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

SNAKE BITES AND YOUR PET
Devil wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm Any vet will provide a loaded hypodermic syringe with antivenin for a couple of €€. You can carry it with you, ready to inject in the animal's flank. It is valid for 5 years. It must be injected ASAP within 30 mins of the bite, otherwise it may cause more harm than good.