staying in cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ROXYANGELO

staying in cyprus

Post by ROXYANGELO »

if I came to Cyprus to stay, would I need a visa etc
emgee

Re: staying in cyprus

Post by emgee »

Go to the Library and get a book out.

Alan
ROXYANGELO

Post by ROXYANGELO »

sorry about that. we are both coming in Feb 2020. With the intention of working. Coming from sunny Burnley. We are staying 28 days in a hotel to use that time to get settled i.e. get rental/car/etc
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

ROXYANGELO you will be pleased to hear that not everyone here is as rude and unhelpful as emgee
WHL

Post by WHL »

ROXYANGELO wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm sorry about that. we are both coming in Feb 2020. With the intention of working. Coming from sunny Burnley. We are staying 28 days in a hotel to use that time to get settled i.e. get rental/car/etc
Regards working here and living here, its all up in the air until we all know how Brexit works out?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

You will have to register with immigration if you decide to stay longer. They are very helpful and for us it was a fairly simple process, but we did use an agent. It is easy enough to do on your own though.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It may be advisable for you to do so some research before taking a big step like this. You don’t say if you have qualifications to do anything which may be useful if you are looking for work here. Adding to the uncertainty about the future is the problem of Brexit, especially if we leave the EU without a deal. If you are simply looking for work in restaurants or bars, many of them are closed in Feb. it is winter here too and not the tourist season. Wages are also very low and hours of work are long if you can find work. If you have useful qualifications you should do your own research to see if there are any openings here? You should also arrive with sufficient funds to support yourself for up to a year in case you can’t find work. In other words don’t leap before you look at practicalities. Good luck!
Dee
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Austin7 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:51 pm
Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 pm You will have to register with immigration if you decide to stay longer. They are very helpful and for us it was a fairly simple process, but we did use an agent. It is easy enough to do on your own though.
Might not be so easy after Brexit
Maybe not. We came here pre EU and it was simple back then. Who knows post Brexit!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 pm You will have to register with immigration if you decide to stay longer. They are very helpful and for us it was a fairly simple process, but we did use an agent. It is easy enough to do on your own though.
Maybe not. We came here pre EU and it was simple back then. Who knows post Brexit!
No way was it simple, you had to get permission to work, you had to have a Cypriot partner if you wanted to start a business, you needed permission to buy a property etc etc etc.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

WHL wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 pm
No way was it simple, you had to get permission to work, you had to have a Cypriot partner if you wanted to start a business, you needed permission to buy a property etc etc etc.
It was very simple for us, we bought property with no problem and didn’t want to start a business so that part was irrelevant. I e never found the Cypriot immigration department at all difficult.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:54 pm
Sorry Jim, I must disagree here, it wasn't simple, particularly if you wanted to work.... Perhaps you. were pre EU, but when they were close to joining
I will say again, it was simple for us. Far easier than I thought. I can only speak from personal experience 😁
emgee

Post by emgee »

Before we came to live here 16 years ago, we did lots of research, via Library books, visiting the Island and being members of a couple of forums. Please read Dee's comments for further advice. Poor wages, poor conditions and competition from single Eastern Bloc youngsters are your competition in the jobs market.

Good luck and bring enough money to last 12 months with you.

Alan
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Brexit could be your deal changer as then you’ll no longer be a EU citizens in respect of employment, rentals have increased greatly on the island in the last 18 months greed being the main issue !!!
I would do plenty of research there isn’t a great deal of work unless in the tourist industry in the Paphos area a large percentage of expats are retired. Limassol being much larger could offer more in the employment stakes, but the better jobs require that you speak/write Greek
Best of luck with your research
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The uncertainty over Brexit is an added complication as nothing is set in stone. Even before Cyprus joined the EU Immigration could be difficult, and you have to register with them if you intend to stay here. We came in 1999, too young for acceptance for free health care here, we had to take out private health insurance, provide copies of all our documents, they gave us a list. Even with all documents listed, you could still be sent away to fetch something else not on the list... we also had to bring up to date copies of all bank accounts held to prove that we had sufficient income to live here. Also proof of purchase of a property, or rental contract. It wasn’t easy, even with all the right paperwork. Since Cyprus joined the EU the whole immigration became more straightforward and they introduced an appt system, People who arrived here later had an easier start as EU citizens. No one knows how rules will be interpreted if we leave the EU without a deal. Or whether non EU citizens will automatically be allowed to work here. We will find out in due course before 31 Oct.

If you want to come here to work, perhaps you could find the time to research things and to start learning Greek which would help your employment prospects. Come for a holiday first if you haven’t been here before.
Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Yioula wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm rentals have increased greatly on the island in the last 18 months greed being the main issue !!!
:roll:

Or, alternatively, it may be the simple laws of business ... mainly that of supply and demand perhaps?
J B
ROXYANGELO

Post by ROXYANGELO »

Thank you for all your replys. We did live in Cyprus before for about 6/7 years albeit working cash in hand etc. My wife worked for a Cypriot business but it was more relaxed then in 2003. We have visited on holiday since. Just weighing up our options. Financially we are fine. Famous last words. We have a chance to work part time with some of of our old contacts maybe. We just want to chill out for 3/4 years etc.