Public urged to unite to protect antiquities in Yeroskipou

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Public urged to unite to protect antiquities in Yeroskipou

Post by Paphos Life »

Members of the public are being urged to attend a protest on Saturday aimed at protecting an area of rich and significant archaeological interest in Yeroskipou.Organised by the district committee of Akel, it is supported by the Paphos Greens and will take place on Saturday at 10am, next to a small church and the Phaethon Hotel on the seafront in Kato Paphos....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Public urged to unite to protect antiquities in Yeroskipou

Post by Dominic »

There will be a blog about this area later today...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As it is the only huge plot near the sea for such a large project in the Paphos/Yeroskipou area they have to decide soon what they want to do. Another ancient site 500 BC - 300 AM, which can be visited by tourists AFTER it is proper excavated, but already plenty available (Kato Paphos, Tombs of the King, Mosaics etc) or on the other side the chance of an unique high class tourism project not only in Paphos but the whole of Cyprus. This 3.4 billion project would bring multiple benefits for the area beside 10.000 new jobs and a huge state revenue of 750 m Euro. It would bring a different, higher class tourism to Paphos, not only all inclusive as now, which gives the local business only limited income.

When there is so much money involved I am sure that there was a good chance to built above the ancient site in a way without destroying it, but makes it accessible to the public like a Museum in the basements which could bring another business and attraction to the project.

Here one of the many posts so far from this Eden City idea.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/01/21/eden ... g-forward/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As usual money especially huge sums talks, especially in Cyprus, will benefit the Church, the Banks, the Developer and the Govt! So its probably a no brainer as to the result.
Does Paphos sea front need 2 tower blocks of apartments and another hotel, as well as no doubt various commercial buildings all crammed on to the site is debatable? I seem to remember I saw an artists impression of how the development would look and it looked very urban and congested.
I would rather see the archaeological part of the site preserved and a lower density development without being high rise, built there if anything. But as I said money talks...

I hope the public meeting on Saturday will help matters.

Dee