Thrips infestation on ficus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Thrips infestation on ficus

Post by kansas »

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but perhaps there's new information available? We have a lovely healthy looking ficus, about 1.5M high, in a large pot. New leaves are forming daily so it doesn't appear to be too distressed. However, the dreaded thrips are attacking it and healthy leaves have started falling off throughout the day and each morning I find about 20/30 leaves have fallen off during the night.

Last year, foollowing advice, I sprayed it with a mix of washing up liquid and water but I may have been too heavy handed with the washing up liquid because ALL the leaves fell off in a matter of days.

Has anyone got a tried and tested solution? Or should I just hope that the thrips will vanish when it gets colder?

Thanks in advance
DavidatLWH

Re: Thrips infestation on ficus

Post by DavidatLWH »

Ficus is a very sensitive plant and needs both foliar and root treatment, esp the latter. As with most problems, the ideal person to see is the plant protection lady in Chlorakaas - more-or-less opposite the coffee shop and tyre place. She will sell you the right stuff, which is either a two-part or three-part treatment.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks for your recommendation David. We visited the lady today. She was very helpful and sold us a mix to spray the ficus, and a small bottle of something to mix with a bucket of water and pour onto the roots. I'll use the root treatment first. Last night I sprayed with a very light mix of washing up liquid and followed it up with a spray of plain water this morning. So far so good.....
oylero

Post by oylero »

Here was my experience a while ago. I fully endorse the root treatment. The ficus hedges fully recovered :)

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4613&p=49545#p49545
oylero
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I tried various bio/organic treatments on a sick ficus but none worked. The root treatment is a must - I don't think any bio treatment targets the roots, which is essential.

Ficus is a plant you have to keep an eye on - any leaf falling should be checked immediately. They don't like being allowed to dry out.