Sending wine to the UK.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ast

Sending wine to the UK.

Post by ast »

Is it possible to send a wine box to the UK, not a box of bottles but a 2.5 ltr box.

I have no idea if it is possible or even legal, it is for a gift not any commercial gain.

Any ideas most welcome. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Re: Sending wine to the UK.

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:27 pm Is it possible to send a wine box to the UK, not a box of bottles but a 2.5 ltr box.

I have no idea if it is possible or even legal, it is for a gift not any commercial gain.

Any ideas most welcome. 8-)
If it is Cypriot wine, then there are lots of Cypriot shops in North London, who might have it, and maybe send it for you?

https://www.aspris.co.uk/
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Friends of ours brought us 18 bottles of our favourite wine back with them in their container last year 😁
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I doubt that there would be problems but postage costs for 2.5lt (2.5kg) will be high
David
memory man

Post by memory man »

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It depends if it's a particular brand of wine you are looking for. The choice of Cyprus wines in UK and online is very poor.
We wanted wine from a particular winery, hence why we were very pleased to hear of our friends returning to UK with a container.
ast

Post by ast »

Thanks for the replies but it is probably more trouble than its worth.

It was for a friend who loves the Kolios Dry white they do in boxes, apparently the same is not available in bottles and not available in the UK either so was wondering if i could have sent a box to him.

Always thought the post maybe to expensive but just wondered if anyone had actually do it before. 8-)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

When I was travelling forwards and backwards from Germany to Cyprus in the early 1980s I always had some bottles of my favourite red in the suitcase, but was always disappointed when I opened the bottles in Germany. They never tasted as nice as they did in Cyprus. Only Brandy 1919 from Haggipavlu tasted like it did local.
https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/49 ... -vo-brandy

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 am It depends if it's a particular brand of wine you are looking for. The choice of Cyprus wines in UK and online is very poor.
We wanted wine from a particular winery, hence why we were very pleased to hear of our friends returning to UK with a container.
You have never been to North London have you :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I have been.... a long time ago with a few nights coming back to our hotel on the night bus through Haringey.
You still can't get wine easily from London up north without paying for it with an arm and a leg from a bricks and mortar shop. Online, there's no choice and especially not the one we drink....
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm I have been.... a long time ago with a few nights coming back to our hotel on the night bus through Haringey.
You still can't get wine easily from London up north without paying for it with an arm and a leg from a bricks and mortar shop. Online, there's no choice and especially not the one we drink....
There are a lot of firms that supply restaurants and shops all over the UK where there are Cypriots / Greek/ Turkish restaurants, I had mate who had Restaurant up North and he used to get a delivery every week,, im sure you could find them on line
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

WHL wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:06 pm
PhotoLady wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 am It depends if it's a particular brand of wine you are looking for. The choice of Cyprus wines in UK and online is very poor.
You have never been to North London have you :lol:
Quite. When I lived in North London, even Tesco delivered Keo beer & wine from their Tottenham depot.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Tell me when you find Ayia Mavri please.

Keo beer however, is no problem - they sell it in Morrisons...
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 am Tell me when you find Ayia Mavri please.

In North London, you will find 99% of Cypriot food and wine, if someone really wanted it, they could have it sent to them.
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 am Tell me when you find Ayia Mavri please.

It is sold in the UK
If you want some contact the winery and they will tell you who stocks their wine in the UK...Next
https://www.cyprustrade.co.uk/default.a ... s&ct=Wines
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sorry, we've been away down south for a few days....
There's nowhere on that link which sells Ayia Mavri wine and given the fact the last conversation we had with the owners was they were going to have to close, or sell up as their children have no interest in continuing with the business, it seems even less likely it will be available for very much longer.
Perhaps we shouldn't drink the bottles we still have left?
It's the blue bottle wine that's our favourite.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Interestingly enough, whilst replying to Max on another post about Agia Mavri church I found this whilst searching for our favourite Cyprus wine:
We cant find this wine online anywhere.JPG
We cant find this wine online anywhere.JPG (15.92 KiB) Viewed 4688 times
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

ast wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am Thanks for the replies but it is probably more trouble than its worth.

It was for a friend who loves the Kolios Dry white they do in boxes, apparently the same is not available in bottles and not available in the UK either so was wondering if i could have sent a box to him.

Always thought the post maybe to expensive but just wondered if anyone had actually do it before. 8-)
The box white is a in bottles, it’s Persefoni dry 😊
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
ast

Post by ast »

That's interesting as the guy whom I deal with at Kolios says not, it only comes in the boxes.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

ast wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 pm That's interesting as the guy whom I deal with at Kolios says not, it only comes in the boxes.
I drink the bottles and the boxed wines
They’re basically the same
Red is like of Statos 99
Rose is like Cornetto dry
White is like Persefoni dry
They’re the same grape the boxed white is maybe a little sweeter than the bottled white
When I used to take bottles back to the Uk (carefully wrapped in pitta breads🤣) they never tasted the same, I guess you need the sunshine too 🤣
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no