The Pros and Cons of Flu Jabs

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
trevnhil

The Pros and Cons of Flu Jabs

Post by trevnhil »

+++ ADMIN NOTE +++

This is a spin off thread where we debate the pros and cons of the flu jab and vaccinations in general.
Trev..
JimX

Re: Flu Jabs..

Post by JimX »

Glad you have been lucky to avoid flu, I had a seven weeker some years ago and survived, you will be saving the local Health Service a few euros, that cannot be a bad thing, do stay well Austin though.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 am Have you seen the rubbish that goes into these jabs, building up year after year. I've managed perfectly well without them for 80 years, I don't intend to start now. :shock:
If you are going to make statements like that could you at least back them up with some sensible data?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am
Dominic wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am
Austin7 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 am Have you seen the rubbish that goes into these jabs, building up year after year. I've managed perfectly well without them for 80 years, I don't intend to start now. :shock:
If you are going to make statements like that could you at least back them up with some sensible data?
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207.php

How about this for starters. I just don't trust big pharma companies to be 100% honest about their products that make them billions of dollars/pounds. I know it's everybody's choice to decide for themselves, my decision is to opt out and increase my doses of Vitamin C.
Outside of the first point, that the flu vaccine isn't necessarily very effective (which in itself doesn't mean it doesn't work all the time, just some of the time) where is the data in that article? It just reads like the same anti vax propaganda which too many people are following these days. The result of that is that countries are now seeing an increase in measles and other illnesses that should have been eradicated ages ago.

--- EDIT ---

Actually, scratch that. I clicked your link to the wellness centre and my comments are based on that article. I will have a look at medicalnewstoday as well.

Ok, the first article from Medical News Today I thought was perfectly reasonable. It tells you what goes into a flu jab, and why. It seems to directly contradict your second article though.
Paulo

Re: The Pros and Cons of Flu Jabs

Post by Paulo »

I suffer with autoimmune disease and have to inject biological immunity suppressants weekly, viruses such as the flu can lead to hospitalisation for somebody like me. I have been having the flu jab for several years with no side effects and I haven't had the flu in this time even though I've been around several outbreaks.
I think it's quite irresponsible for people to say that the flu jab doesn't work when it saves countless lives every year, it's the same kind of attitude that deters parents from giving their children the MMR jab and leading to the increased rise in these viruses.
(the wellnessway link is just a load of propaganda from the anti vaccination brigade)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Following medical advice for many years I have been told never to have the flu jab as the risk of side effects is too high.

No antibiotics either and many other medicines are also to be avoided at all costs eg unable to have any x-ray or other tests that involve the use of iodine. Hence in the past 5-6 years I have only ever taken one paracetamol on three separate occasions when I suspected I was going down with a throat/chest infection. Just use a herbal cough medicine for a dry cough or teaspoon of honey to soothe the throat (no lemon as I react to that).

Last time I had to see a doctor for a quite severe chest infection was in 1995. I try to stop anything like throat/chest infections that may affect my breathing very early, keep warm, plenty of rest and lots of home made soups! I never take any supplements or eat specific foods to help prevent or alleviate any symptom. However, I do avoid people who cough or sneeze and public places that are stuffy and/or overcrowded. Washing hands is also a practical way of cutting down the spread of germs.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you haven't had to see a doctor since 1995, who has been giving you the medical advice not to have the flu jab?

And what if you have a broken leg?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

''Last time I had to see a doctor for a quite severe chest infection was in 1995''. Over the years I have seen doctors, been admitted to various private clinics and state hospitals and am currently under investigation. However, no chest infections requiring intervention by a doctor since 1995. Broken leg = I would go to A&E which has the records of all the medications they must not use - too many known allergies - a copy of which is kept in my purse, in case I am unconscious (as happened a few weeks ago).
JimX

Post by JimX »

Surly this should we should not have the Flu Jab is down to the individual, personally at my age I feel it stupid not to get the jab done, if you feel it not worth your time then don't get one, simple as that.
Last edited by JimX on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Totally agree, JimX, and if you hadn't posted your comment I would have done so. It's very much up to the individual to do the research, discuss with their care provider, and decide for themselves.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

galexinda wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm ''Last time I had to see a doctor for a quite severe chest infection was in 1995''. Over the years I have seen doctors, been admitted to various private clinics and state hospitals and am currently under investigation. However, no chest infections requiring intervention by a doctor since 1995. Broken leg = I would go to A&E which has the records of all the medications they must not use - too many known allergies - a copy of which is kept in my purse, in case I am unconscious (as happened a few weeks ago).
But they would need to xray that.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hear, hear!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Austin7 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 pm
galexinda wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:25 pmNo antibiotics either and many other medicines are also to be avoided at all costs eg unable to have any x-ray or other tests that involve the use of iodine.
.... but that x-ray wouldn't involve the use of iodine. 8-)
True a broken leg wouldn't necessarily require an x-ray using iodine but there are many x-ray examinations that do eg CT scans, cardiac procedures, urinary tract examinations - at work I wasn't even allowed to draw an iodine based contrast agent into a syringe as one drop on the skin would produce an allergic reaction, so you can imagine what would happen if 50 ml (normal dose) was injected into the blood stream. I did have a hand operation in 2011 and an alternative to the usual antiseptic had to be found as the one commonly used contained iodine. Over the years I have had 4 major allergic reactions requiring inpatient treatment.

Too much talk about my ailments, but hopefully people can see that a flu jab is not necessarily viable in all cases even though as a person with breathing problems and getting older, it would normally be highly recommended.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh sorry, I missed the bit where you said you couldn't have these because of an allergy to iodine. I just thought you had something against x rays.

Best of health to you. :)
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you Dominic, I am very fortunate compared to many other people who are dependent on medications and/or lead a very restricted life style on a daily basis due to illness.

There was a lot of information in my comments, most of it not related to the pros and cons of flu jabs and interestingly my main career was taking x-rays, ie Diagnostic Radiographer, hence my interest in medical matters. In fact when I qualified we used to still dunk the x-ray films in developer, water, fixer and water tanks and hang them on a line to dry, so I have taken an active part in the evolution of the process and expansion of examinations undertaken in the radiology department right through to the digital age.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I used to have the flu jab in UK before we went to live in Cyprus in 2004 and continued to do so in Cyprus until we left in 2016.
I'm an asthma sufferer with what they refer to as brittle asthma - odd things can trigger it very rapidly.

When we returned to UK we were so caught up trying to get stuff sorted for my parents with care for my father, paperwork and eventually his death, I missed the jab and had only been to the doctors surgery once for our obligatory new patient checks and NHS check up.
I didn't give it another thought the next year either then bam!
Oh yes, it got me good and proper - I was in bed for a month, didn't get dressed for a further 2 more weeks just spent my time wobbling around the house and 3 doctors' appointments later, my legs were starting to come back to normal. I lost nearly a stone in weight, surviving on only fluids and later, cartons of cold rice pudding.
So, it's flu jab all the way for me now.... I get mine done for free at the pharmacy just around the corner by the seafront as otherwise you have to be at the clinic with about 70 other people at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning.

If you need it - take it!
If you don't think you do - then don't have it....
But, they're different every year. Last year I had the sniffles for a couple of weeks about 3 days after the shot, this year - I just got a bruised arm from our Greek pharmacist :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:10 pm I used to have the flu jab in UK before we went to live in Cyprus in 2004 and continued to do so in Cyprus until we left in 2016.
I'm an asthma sufferer with what they refer to as brittle asthma - odd things can trigger it very rapidly.

When we returned to UK we were so caught up trying to get stuff sorted for my parents with care for my father, paperwork and eventually his death, I missed the jab and had only been to the doctors surgery once for our obligatory new patient checks and NHS check up.
I didn't give it another thought the next year either then bam!
Oh yes, it got me good and proper - I was in bed for a month, didn't get dressed for a further 2 more weeks just spent my time wobbling around the house and 3 doctors' appointments later, my legs were starting to come back to normal. I lost nearly a stone in weight, surviving on only fluids and later, cartons of cold rice pudding.
So, it's flu jab all the way for me now.... I get mine done for free at the pharmacy just around the corner by the seafront as otherwise you have to be at the clinic with about 70 other people at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning.

If you need it - take it!
If you don't think you do - then don't have it....
But, they're different every year. Last year I had the sniffles for a couple of weeks about 3 days after the shot, this year - I just got a bruised arm from our Greek pharmacist :-)
When proper flu hits you it is a bastard, as you describe.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Agree with both of you, Jim and Kansas.
I would add the following. Since this year Cyprus seems to be short of the flu vaccine, the more people who decide not to have it for their own reasons - the better it is for those of us who want and need it.

End of..

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Not one for taking medication, preventative or otherwise so depend on a healthy diet to build and maintain my immune system. Plus avoiding people with the sniffles or sneezing or worse and washing hands whenever I have been in contact with anything or anyone outside of the home.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just my personal opinion, but having flu jabs weakens your own immune defence system, eat the right foods etc, not for me.