Ants

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lazydaze52

Re: Ants

Post by Lazydaze52 »

WHL - maybe should have added gave work surfaces a thorough clean when we returned. In the same situation if I hadn’t been going away I would have treat one stretch of work surface at a time and kept all food prep to another area of the kitchen(assuming you have the room to do this of course). I haven’t had a problem internally with ants over here but I use this method outside very successfully.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:36 am WHL - maybe should have added gave work surfaces a thorough clean when we returned. In the same situation if I hadn’t been going away I would have treat one stretch of work surface at a time and kept all food prep to another area of the kitchen(assuming you have the room to do this of course). I haven’t had a problem internally with ants over here but I use this method outside very successfully.
I have never seen so many of the buggers , the garden, walls , drive , is swarming with them, we have put powder across all the outside doors and windows, and that has stopped them coming into the house.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

WHL you don’t want to kill them on the spot, you need them to get the powder on their body then the theory is they take it back to the nest and it should kill off the rest of the nest. I don’t think you ever get totally rid of ants but it keeps them in check quite well.

My personal fight this year is crickets, loads of them in the pool skimmers every day and the cat’s water bowl, not to mention the noise at night! But on the plus side do crickets eat ants???
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:11 pm WHL you don’t want to kill them on the spot, you need them to get the powder on their body then the theory is they take it back to the nest and it should kill off the rest of the nest. I don’t think you ever get totally rid of ants but it keeps them in check quite well.

My personal fight this year is crickets, loads of them in the pool skimmers every day and the cat’s water bowl, not to mention the noise at night! But on the plus side do crickets eat ants???
We live next to a field, and im wondering, if the wet weather we had this year, contributed to the increase .
AlanGW

Post by AlanGW »

About 6 years ago we were plagued with ants and I remembered how my Father dealt with them years ago. I bought some Boric Acid powder (500 grams) from the pharmacy here in Cyprus. I mix 2 teaspoons of sugar and half a teaspoon of the Boric Acid together and then using a little boiling water stir it to a smooth paste. I then put it on the ant runs in pools about an inch in diameter and they feast for a couple of days. They take the mix back to their nest and feed to the young and then........no more ants. Safe on food surfaces and works equally well in the garden.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

nholleran wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm Hi Jimgym
Can you please advise the name as we had a problem early in the year so would be good to have it at the ready if they decide to come back.
Thanks Neil
Hi Neil, the product is called Fendona, costs €12 from Plantfix and is diluted 10cc per litre. It has so far cured our chronic ant problem, and we had millions of them!
Last edited by Jimgym on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Austin7 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm
Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 am Hi Neil, the product is called Fentona, costs €12 from Plantfix and is diluted 10cc per litre. It has so far cured our chronic ant problem, and we had millions of them!
I use that product to deter ants, mine is called FENDONA 6SC (not Fentona) and diluted 5cc per litre. I use one of those pump up pressure sprays that gives out a fine mist. Very toxic stuff to be finely sprayed along doorways (in and outdoors) and any other entry points. Important to keep animals away until it has dried. Certainly very effective and keeps the house clear of ants for many weeks at a time. I bought mine in the Paphos Homecentre.

https://www.pestcontrol.basf.co.uk/en/P ... E-6SC.html
Oops thanks Austin, my typo! Will amend post. Mine is diluted at 10cc which is what man in shop told me. Works a treat, no ants!
El tel

Post by El tel »

I have had problems with small ants and brought out from the UK a product called Nippon , which is a liquid and comes in a small tube. Failed to find it in Cyprus although the shops I tried had heard of it .
It is very effective and requires a small amount which the ants feed on and take back to the nest , cleared a nest in two days.

Terry
El tel

Post by El tel »

El tel wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:43 am I have had problems with small ants and brought out from the UK a product called Nippon , which is a liquid and comes in a small tube. Failed to find it in Cyprus although the shops I tried had heard of it .
It is very effective and requires a small amount which the ants feed on and take back to the nest , cleared a nest in two days.
You can buy it on Amazon for £2.95.

Terry
El tel

Post by El tel »

Think I edited it wrongly . :-)

Terry