Ants

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Ants

Post by WHL »

Is it me or is there many more ants all over the place this year, could it be because of the very wet winter we had ?, just curious, thanks.
memory man

Re: Ants

Post by memory man »

We were bothered quite badly with the small ants last year,
so we went to the woman in Chlorakas and bought ( her suggestion )
a liquid which added to water gives a spray and a couple of green ant traps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxforce-Indoo ... B07CBJTFGG

They worked wonders and so far this year - no ants.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

memory man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:42 pm We were bothered quite badly with the small ants last year,
so we went to the woman in Chlorakas and bought ( her suggestion )
a liquid which added to water gives a spray and a couple of green ant traps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxforce-Indoo ... B07CBJTFGG

What woman in Chlorakas? Is there an "ant whisperer"?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I don't know the name of the shop, but there is a big sign
and its almost opposite to a tyre shop called Christodoulos Dimou.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I bought Ant Powder from Euromania-Geroskipou and that works.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hi guys, my question was to find out, if you have seen an increase in ants this year?
memory man

Post by memory man »

memory man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:42 pm

I replied as above.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

No, in fact, we have less this year than last year also No Mozzies.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Maybe they have migrated over to the East of the Island :?
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 pm No, in fact, we have less this year than last year also No Mozzies.
Agree on the fewer mozzies, but most importantly, no little flies in my red wine!
memory man

Post by memory man »

DavidatLWH wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:36 pm
Lincoln wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 pm No, in fact, we have less this year than last year also No Mozzies.
Agree on the fewer mozzies, but most importantly, no little flies in my red wine!
That's because all the flies have migrated over to my house :x
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would say less ants in the main, too. More rats though, because the owner of a field nearby cleared it of all the old vines that were growing, and the rats sought new homes. The traps were busy...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

We’ve recently moved and been inundated with ants. It’s been crazy. Got a really good spray from plantfix on Polis Rd. No more ants! We’ve not really had any mosquitoes this year. I’m in the garden now and no bites 😁
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Definite increase for me this year. I've never had them in the house before and am battling with them daily. As soon as a crumb drops - they are on their way! The trouble is that with garden areas all around, I can't spray or put powder everywhere.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If they are the very very small ones inside we use Aroxol spray from a couple of feet away. If they are in the garden I use a kettle's full of boiling water ..
Trev..
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

We have spent a fortune on ant powder and spray this year, they are relentless, we seem to have them under control and then within two weeks we are over run again, if we accidently leave the dogs food bowl down in the kitchen, I don't know how they know the dog bowl is in there but there will be a trail of them coming under the front door and there they are all in a long line, we were told when moving into this house that we would never get them under control and I am starting to agree with the guy that said this....I need to buy shares in ant powder and spray,
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Cherry345 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 am We have spent a fortune on ant powder and spray this year, they are relentless, we seem to have them under control and then within two weeks we are over run again, if we accidently leave the dogs food bowl down in the kitchen, I don't know how they know the dog bowl is in there but there will be a trail of them coming under the front door and there they are all in a long line, we were told when moving into this house that we would never get them under control and I am starting to agree with the guy that said this....I need to buy shares in ant powder and spray,
Cherry I had the same problem, until I went to Plantfix. They sold me a small bottle of liquid that is diluted at home and since I've sprayed the house, no ants. I was absolutely plagued by them. One crumb left on the countertop was enough. Now, no problems, dog bowls on floor are untouched and I can leave food out without worrying. The bottle costs €12 and lasts a long time. I sprayed a few times initially and now don't bother. Perhaps a quick spray every few months if they come back.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Back in UK had ants coming from behind cabinets onto the kitchen worktops (yuk) and was told by someone who worked for a very famous pest control company to spread ant powder down but them brush it very finely over the whole worktop area, the idea is ants won’t walk into a clump of the powder but will walk through the fine dust and take it back to their nest.

We were about to go away for a couple of days so I did this and never saw another ant in the kitchen.

Thankfully haven’t had any ants in the house over here as yet, but I now do this outside and it helps keep control of them, especially if you can leave it down a couple of days.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 pm Back in UK had ants coming from behind cabinets onto the kitchen worktops (yuk) and was told by someone who worked for a very famous pest control company to spread ant powder down but them brush it very finely over the whole worktop area, the idea is ants won’t walk into a clump of the powder but will walk through the fine dust and take it back to their nest.

We were about to go away for a couple of days so I did this and never saw another ant in the kitchen.

Thankfully haven’t had any ants in the house over here as yet, but I now do this outside and it helps keep control of them, especially if you can leave it down a couple of days.
Surely putting ant powder, over a work surface, where food is about, is a no no?, I know you went away for a few days, but others on hearing this might not be going away.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thanks Jimgym, I will pop into Plantfix tomorrow to have a look, its nice to know I could win this war lol.