Geroskipou Bypass

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Earlsfield

Re: Geroskipou Bypass

Post by Earlsfield »

So actually not a by pass at all....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes it is. It bypasses the centre of Geroskipou.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As Earlsfield says, not really a bypass if it finishes where
Max' s sketch shows. Turn right and it takes traffic right into the village square, turn left it goes back to Konia and the motorway junction.
Jim
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

It’s really just an easy way to get onto the industrial estate, which in itself is good for me, I usually leave my car in The Peugeot garage for servicing. And it’s a long way around back to Kato Paphos, now I will be able to take a short cut across the ravine, which at the moment is impassable. It’s already easy enough to by pass Geroskipou using the A6 or the new lower coastal road.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

A lot of people will be happy in future to use that new road to reach the main ring road which transfers the traffic from the end of the motorway all the way down to the hotels at the coast. So far the road through Yeroskipou center is horrible to use as it is always a bumper-to-bumper traffic...
(Just thought how much faster an ambulance will be to reach the General or Blue Cross etc...)
Max
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

I am not suggesting it is not a good idea, it is, but to suggest it is a bypass is misleading, and actually, driving through Yeroskipou is never a chore, I actually quite enjoy it. Now an alternate route from the Harbour up to the Old Town would be a real bonus, although probably just a pipe dream!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:00 pm Yes it is. It bypasses the centre of Geroskipou.
In your dreams.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why are you so argumentative? Recently you seem to have taken a grumpy pill, and it is getting really really boring.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Earlsfield wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am I am not suggesting it is not a good idea, it is, but to suggest it is a bypass is misleading, and actually, driving through Yeroskipou is never a chore, I actually quite enjoy it. Now an alternate route from the Harbour up to the Old Town would be a real bonus, although probably just a pipe dream!
Well take it up with the municipality then. They are the ones calling it a bypass.

And people often have to wait 15 minutes plus to get through Geroskipou.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Looking at the drawing Max did it only takes traffic into the Industrial estate or out as the case may be. No traffic will be diverted away from the village centre so there will still be the fifteen minute wait.
Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I would say it is Not a bypass. I drive through Geroskipou on different occasions at times and have never ever been held up for more than a couple of minutes.
All things are possible
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:20 pm
Earlsfield wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am I am not suggesting it is not a good idea, it is, but to suggest it is a bypass is misleading, and actually, driving through Yeroskipou is never a chore, I actually quite enjoy it. Now an alternate route from the Harbour up to the Old Town would be a real bonus, although probably just a pipe dream!
Well take it up with the municipality then. They are the ones calling it a bypass.

And people often have to wait 15 minutes plus to get through Geroskipou.
It’s probably a cunning ruse to get the money, and no people don’t often wait 15 minutes to get through the town, even in rush hour, whenever that is.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I can understand extending the road from Blue Cross/McDonalds junction to the industrial estate, that could be very useful
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:53 pm I travel through Geroskipou a lot; it has never, ever, taken me 15 minutes to pass though...5 mins being typical.
Lucky you. I guess it all depends on the time of day, but I've experienced longer delays than that, and I know other people have because of comments made on Facebook.

But honestly, what does it matter? The powers that be opted to call it a bypass. Perhaps the Greek equivalent means something different and it was lost in the translation. Perhaps somebody who can actually speak Greek might like to check and see if that is the case. But does it really matter? A new road is being built. Whether it bypasses a quarter, half or three quarters of Geroskipou is not really the point.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:22 pm Looking at the drawing Max did it only takes traffic into the Industrial estate or out as the case may be. No traffic will be diverted away from the village centre so there will still be the fifteen minute wait.
Jim
From there they can drive past the sculpture park and miss out the main square.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 pm
Jim B wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:22 pm Looking at the drawing Max did it only takes traffic into the Industrial estate or out as the case may be. No traffic will be diverted away from the village centre so there will still be the fifteen minute wait.
Jim
From there they can drive past the sculpture park and miss out the main square.
Yes they can but you can just about get two cars past each other either into the square or just past the sculpture park so not a good route for anything larger. We use the route down from Konia several times a week and even without the new road can get congested.

Jim