Geroskipou Bypass

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Geroskipou Bypass

Post by Dominic »

It has been announced that there is to be a new bypass built between Paphos and Geroskipou. Responses to this news were mixed, but we think it is a good idea. We decided to visit the area to see where the bypass will go and who it will benefit. Besides, the map had shown that there was a flea market in the area. What was that all about...?

Read the article and chat about it below...

geroskipou-bypass_masthead.jpg
geroskipou-bypass_masthead.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Re: Geroskipou Bypass

Post by Varky »

Dominic,
What will be the advantages of said by-pass and will they justify the amount it will cost? I am not for or against the proposed by-pass, but perhaps I am missing something. Where does it start and where does it finish?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The building which you call "Flea market" is the old municipal wholesale market with a different use obviously nowadays... :roll:

Max
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

There is already a bypass, from Kato Paphos past the hotels and onto the airport road. Although a bridge over the ravine to the Peugeot Garage be useful!
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Earlsfield wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am There is already a bypass, from Kato Paphos past the hotels and onto the airport road. Although a bridge over the ravine to the Peugeot Garage be useful!
..and to the north, there is the motorway, although the final short road on to the old airport road could do with upgrading.

So, is it a bypass, or a short cut to the industrial estate?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It is a bypass. The original press release said it was going to be over a kilometre in length, which would take it past the industrial area.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am The building which you call "Flea market" is the old municipal wholesale market with a different use obviously nowadays... :roll:

Max
Actually it is Google Maps that calls it a Flea Market.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Seems to me that it only connects the road from the end of the motorway down to the Debenhams roundabout into the Geriskopou industrial estate, thereby cutting out the Debenhams roundabout, which, to me, was never a bottleneck, except when the stadium was being used.Lot of money for minimal gain.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was under the impression it was to run from the roundabout by the American School through to MacDonalds which would divert traffic from the village centre. All traffic leaving the industrial site presently has to go into the village through a housing complex.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Until a route is published we can only speculate. However, it will definitely go further than the industrial zone, because that is closer than a kilometre.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am The building which you call "Flea market" is the old municipal wholesale market with a different use obviously nowadays... :roll:

Max
I hope the mayor applied for the correct permit for a change of use :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 pm I was under the impression it was to run from the roundabout by the American School through to MacDonalds which would divert traffic from the village centre. All traffic leaving the industrial site presently has to go into the village through a housing complex.
Jim
Although that is more than 1km it would make more sense.
gemaba

Post by gemaba »

Jim B wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 pm I was under the impression it was to run from the roundabout by the American School through to MacDonalds which would divert traffic from the village centre. All traffic leaving the industrial site presently has to go into the village through a housing complex.

Jim
You are right Jim. This has been planned about 18 years ago. If you go the the Town Hall in Geroskipou it is marked on a map on the wall. x
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I remember friends showing the footings of their new property (which is now behind the Energy Fitness Gym up from the Blue Cross Centre) the view was like the photo on the blog The Fun to Explore Rocks just total undeveloped ground fabulous view little did they think in the 80s that such developments would be undertaken, I’m sure Max will also remember how this area looked back then.........
I’ve been looking for the photography I took at the time but cannot find it 🥴
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Jim
Although that is more than 1km it would make more sense.
I think it said 1.9 kilometres in the article which would make it about right.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Is anyone able to post a Map with the Bypass marked on it ??
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If I had one I would post it Trev, believe me. :)

The original article in the press didn't have one, at least not in the English speaking press. I don't think we can assume that it is the same plan that they had 20 years ago though. I think they abandoned that one because the route went through an area which turned out to be of archaeological interest. I blogged about it here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/geroskipou_mini_mystery

If you look on Google maps, you can see where they had started building that road some time ago...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Papho ... 32.4297369

This screenshot even refers to the building area as "Geroskipou Northern Beltway".

belt.jpg
belt.jpg (131.8 KiB) Viewed 3966 times

Now, we visited the archaeological site when we were taking photos for the blog, and it looked exactly the same as what it looked two years ago, so perhaps the archaeologists have finished their work?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I believe the road will come like my little drawing shows... but that's only my opinion. It would connect the busy road coming from Konia motorway exit down to Yeroskipou and continue to the "Konia Industrial area"...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That was the conclusion I came to too. Hence the final picture in the blog.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Paphos Municipality this afternoon confirmed that the new bypass road will finally end at the old KEN abandoned building, exactly how my little drawing showed it ...

Max