Vitamin deficiency

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Vitamin deficiency

Post by WHL »

Paul

Re: Vitamin deficiency

Post by Paul »

Some years ago I read about a man who drank so much water a day he flushed all the essential minerals out of his body.
This resulted in him having a heart attack and losing his life.

Beer the nectar for men, it just shows God loves you, next pint please!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally I stay away from processed/frozen, food, fresh fruit, meat, veg, all plentiful and cheap here in Cyprus
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm Some years ago I read about a man who drank so much water a day he flushed all the essential minerals out of his body.
This resulted in him having a heart attack and losing his life.

Beer the nectar for men, it just shows God loves you, next pint please!
Of course, this is absolute RUBBISH. So let's assume you put it here as a simple joke. Minerals and vitamins start to be absorbed by the body in the Oral Pharynx and then also absorbed in the alimentary canal. They then continue to be quickly absorbed all the time. Water will not flush out the Minerals and vitamins absorbed.
Last edited by Lincoln on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All things are possible
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Years ago I nursed a lady who was unable to walk, and was doubly incontinent. Her diagnosis was B12 deficiency, soon she was back to normal and discharged.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL, not entirely true. My brother-in law thought that the best way to get over his stomach upset was to drink large quantities of water. As his symptoms persisted he continued with his water only regime. A few days later he collapsed and was admitted to intensive care at his local hospital. Later he was told that he had nearly died which was due to the fact that his bodies mineral balance was so depleted of sodium, magnesium, calcium etc. Particularly the sodium.This could have been avoided had he also taken electrolytes to preserve his mineral balance.
I seem to remember from school days that the part of the digestive system that you mentioned is the alimentary canal, not as posted.

Dee
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

My wife and I have recently gone from vegetarian to vegan, with the addition of a daily B12 supplement. I read up on this, and learned the reason why this is so necessary today.
If anyone is interested, apparently, B12 is short for cyanocobalamine, which indicates that it contains the element cobalt- the only vitamin to contain a mineral/element, and is produced by soil-dwelling bactaria. It isn’t a common element, and some soils are deficient in it. Grazing animals ingest it when they pull up grass with bits of soil and roots attached- [NB only grass-feeding animals, NOT factory farmed animals- ie only 10% or less of animals], and most meat is therefore low in B12.
When early humans ate roots and unwashed vegetables, and drank from nice muddy pools or streams, they got ample B12- we only need micrograms per day. However, with modern hygiene in processing and packaging, much of the B12 is lost.
I’d often wondered why our cats and dogs always preferred to drink from a muddy puddle rather than a clean bowl of tap water- now I know!
Jon.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:00 pm WHL, not entirely true. My brother-in law thought that the best way to get over his stomach upset was to drink large quantities of water. As his symptoms persisted he continued with his water only regime. A few days later he collapsed and was admitted to intensive care at his local hospital. Later he was told that he had nearly died which was due to the fact that his bodies mineral balance was so depleted of sodium, magnesium, calcium etc. Particularly the sodium.This could have been avoided had he also taken electrolytes to preserve his mineral balance.
I seem to remember from school days that the part of the digestive system that you mentioned is the alimentary canal, not as posted.

Dee
I think your reply is meant for someone else and not me?
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Austin7....Can you tell me where you buy this form of B12, as I have been taking the cyanocobalamin but would prefer the other, I have never seen it in the health food stores in the UK or Cyprus.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cherry345 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 am Austin7....Can you tell me where you buy this form of B12, as I have been taking the cyanocobalamin but would prefer the other, I have never seen it in the health food stores in the UK or Cyprus.
I buy since years a the Konia chemist this B12 product from one of the most renowned producer worldwide and pay ca 11 Euro for 30 pills...

Max
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

Thank you Austin7 that is fab, the price online is amazing, so I will get hubby to order some, and in the meantime will pick some up from the chemist you mentioned Max, its great to know of a place you can actually go and buy some from if ever we run out, we have been taking the synthetic version for about four years since giving up meat although we do eat fish, ..but definitely think the more natural pills are going to be better, I think I just gave up years ago of ever finding the right one's so have just made do with the cyanocobalamin ....I always forget to try and find things online....so many thanks for your help it is really appreciated....and thanks WHL for starting this thread.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I also take B12. Buy from the local Pharmacy Methylcobalamin 30 tabs and cost €9.46 Instructions in English. To be dissolved under the tongue. 1000 ug
All things are possible
jeba

Post by jeba »

I find prices of vitamines and minerals in Cyprus mindboggling. Which is why I buy them in Germany where I´m paying 55 cents for 17 effervescent tablets. My favourite variety contains per tablet 100% of the daily recommended doses of Vit C, E, B1, B2, B6, pantothenic acid, folic acid, niacine, biotione as well a 300% of B12 and 67% of magnesium (I mainly take it for the latter). Here I saw 20 effervescent tablets of 1 g Vit C each for € 6,70. At Amazon you could buy 100 g for € 2,49. Really mindboggling. Doesn´t anybody feel like starting an import business?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Interesting thread thanks WHL!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Jeba,
I agree with you, Vitamins and minerals in pharmacies here are ridiculously expensive... I have been ordering the ones which I want on line for some years now. Otherwise I buy replacements when I’m in the UK... Boots often have offers of 3 for the price of two.

If everyone did the same maybe, just maybe, prices here might be less expensive!

Dee