Where IS the most expensive Carlsberg in Paphos?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Re: Where IS the most expensive Carlsberg in Paphos?

Post by MacManiac »

Argaka bars and restaurants are undergoing a change in what they charge. I suspect the “restaurant” you were charged €3,90 for a 63cl bottle of beer was the place we used regularly for a few years until their prices skyrocketed. It would appear, according to local rumour, that they are discouraging afternoon drinkers as they are positioning themselves as a “boutique restaurant”. We no longer use them as we felt we were being ripped off (and never mind the scandal of the turtle cages).

If you want a lovely venue, with sensible prices in Argaka, then try Pas To Kima. Super Cypriot hospitality, good prices and a view to die for.
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@HIC...Though their prices were competitive and their food amazing,

Surely this runs contrary to the Cyprus Restaurateurs handbook....”if trade is going down, put 5he prices up!!

CL
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm Got it in one WHL.

Plus the cost of ambience/decor.

You missed off property, public and professional liability insurance. Our company's is around €1,200 a year, a restaurant's may be much higher.

Plus, for all the work, enterprise and commitment they put in, the owners are entitled to be reimbursed...and hopefully make a profit. But with a four month tourist season and six dead months in the winter, this is never guaranteed. Though their prices were competitive and their food amazing, Mysterium Bar and Restaurant recently pulled down the shutters.

It is VERY, VERY, tough to make money in catering, it's very hard to get right, and the turnover of restaurants and bars over a 5 year period is staggering. It's an industry I would never want to venture into.
Good post & perhaps there are still opportunities to make money. Recently had to travel to London after many years so was a bit bewildered by all the signage. Well the £130 fine for crossing a bus lane left me in no doubt that this is a good business. A pint of Marston at my Hotel cost £8 but it was in perfect condition. Like many who have posted perhaps I am a little poorer but wiser
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

MacManiac wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:56 pm Argaka bars and restaurants are undergoing a change in what they charge. I suspect the “restaurant” you were charged €3,90 for a 63cl bottle of beer was the place we used regularly for a few years until their prices skyrocketed. It would appear, according to local rumour, that they are discouraging afternoon drinkers as they are positioning themselves as a “boutique restaurant”. We no longer use them as we felt we were being ripped off (and never mind the scandal of the turtle cages).

If you want a lovely venue, with sensible prices in Argaka, then try Pas To Kima. Super Cypriot hospitality, good prices and a view to die for.
Oh dear....
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@Earldfield, and @McManiac.
Thanks for your input. I’ll definitely put this one on my “value-for-money list

Appreciated
CL
daveg

Post by daveg »

Surely nobody minds paying what ever for a beer ,but it doesn't go down well when you are charged a lot more than the norm, unless an exceptional venue....
As an example went to a newly opened venue recently, asked whose wine was in the carafe on offer, received a blank look...persisted ,and eventually told it was big standard Keo @ €13 euro a litre! That's an amazing mark up from around €1.50 in supermarket....+ It tastes awful....
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

daveg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:52 pm Surely nobody minds paying what ever for a beer ,but it doesn't go down well when you are charged a lot more than the norm, unless an exceptional venue....
As an example went to a newly opened venue recently, asked whose wine was in the carafe on offer, received a blank look...persisted ,and eventually told it was big standard Keo @ €13 euro a litre! That's an amazing mark up from around €1.50 in supermarket....+ It tastes awful....
Bleurgh, Keo wine from a carton, possibly the worst wine I’ve ever drunk.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 pm
daveg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:52 pm Surely nobody minds paying what ever for a beer ,but it doesn't go down well when you are charged a lot more than the norm, unless an exceptional venue....
Bleurgh, Keo wine from a carton, possibly the worst wine I’ve ever drunk.
Alan
Obviously you've never been to Central Asia and had a boozy session. :-)

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We like the Keo boxed wine.. :-)
Trev..
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm We like the Keo boxed wine.. :-)
Me too....
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Phew.. Thank goodness it is not just us getting rid of the pallet loads at Smart, ha ha ;-)
Trev..
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@mouse. Thanks for your response.

Let see...
You “ bet” that the rents are not cheap?
You’ve never been in there?
You assume that it’s a posy/ posh place?

Hmm. Where do you get your information from?

Still have freedom of choice, and still drinking Carlsberg.

What started out as a Public Service Announcement ( I.e The mark up on the beer at this place is100%+ ) has morphed into outpourings relating to Overheads - which every business has - the cost of “acquiring “ the business

Enough already. I’m off for a pint ( and MY last word on the subject
CL
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

The OP started off describing the price of Keo at a bar in town as a "rip-off". So what do peeps think a rip-off is?

I think a rip-off is charging far more than necessary (to make a decent living) for a daily staple - bread, potatoes, milk, etc. i.e. daily necessities.

No-one if forced to pay over the odds for a pint, or glass of wine, or a plate of food at a restaurant. If you go in to a bar in Kennedy Square then surely it's odds on that the prices will be much higher than in a village taverna. And why not?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Took my wife to the Ritz for dinner followed by champagne cocktails in their Rivoli bar, it was our anniversary, And I stupidly asked her where she wanted to go, trust me the prices would make your eyes water, over twenty quid for a single drink......was it a rip off? No, nobody put a gun to our head, but believe me given the choice, I would of had a good old fish and chips and a cold beer...... so if you are only looking for the cheapest bottle of beer, get it from the supermarket, you will likely moan even if the bar puts on an extra one euro more then the supermarket.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

DavidatLWH wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 pm
Cheshire Lad wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Strangely, no one has mentioned value for money.

How can you equate a beer, especially a lager, with value for money? Personally, I hate the ice-cold type lagers (inc. Keo) that are sold here and in the UK. I'd rather have a glass of water.

However, craft beers vary to a huge extent that no two beers are the same. Value doesn't come in to it unless your downing six pints on a Saturday night (SteliosBWFC, where are you???)
That's a good point actually. We haven't heard from Stelios for a while. I can assure you he hasn't been banned though. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Let's all hope that Stelios is down in the dumps because of his football team's plight, and nothing worse.