Where IS the most expensive Carlsberg in Paphos?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Where IS the most expensive Carlsberg in Paphos?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Bearing in mind that I get through a fair number of 24 “slabs” over the Summer, I like to think that I’m reasonably attuned to the cost of the amber liquid.

However, whilst out shopping today in the old town, we called at the bar at the top of Kinyras street, in the pedestrianised bit in Kennedy square

1 x 33 CL bottle of Carlsberg was a staggering €2.90 (and no, I don’t mean a 63cl)

As a comparison, when out and about in the villages, I mostly pay €2 for a 63cl bottle. In the tourist areas, anything from €2.50 to €2.75, for a “63”.
But this is an absolute rip off.

Any other “must avoids” that anyone’s aware of.

CL
Cheshire Lad

Re: Where IS the most expensive Carlsberg in Paphos?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

What I expected was Tourist prices.
What I got was Tourist +++

Still, I have invested 6 euros in a lesson which says that there will be no follow on business. Probably a small price to pay for extortionism
Voted with my feet
CL
WHL

Post by WHL »

You got to be kidding, I take it you never visit any bars around Europe... on second thoughts why not stay in doors, its alot cheaper :lol:
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@WHL. Thanks for your response, in my work with the EU, I’ve actually visited all of the 27/28 countries

@ everyone....Than you for you4 opinions. No I didn’t spend my life indoors. However, I will in future be more selective as to whom I give my pension in exchange for beer tokens.

Strangely, no one has mentioned value for money.

Whilst I’m happy being a contributor to the economy, I have no desire to be a contributor to a Cypriot pension fund

I have freedom of choice and I’ll exercise it.
CL
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cheshire Lad wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm @WHL. Thanks for your response, in my work with the EU, I’ve actually visited all of the 27/28 countries

@ everyone....Than you for you4 opinions. No I didn’t spend my life indoors. However, I will in future be more selective as to whom I give my pension in exchange for beer tokens.

Whilst I’m happy being a contributor to the economy, I have no desire to be a contributor to a Cypriot pension fund

I have freedom of choice and I’ll exercise it.
CL
Cheshire lad im sure the Cypriot pension fund pot , is looking alot healthier with your six euro contribution, :shock: :D
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

CL I would certainly be shocked at the prices you mention, for the quantity... If I did pay that amount it would be the first and last time :-(
Trev..
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Agree with you Cheshire Lad. What some places charge for drinks is awful especially a small bottle of water.
Keep away from the posh places they are a rip off.
glowred

Post by glowred »

I have to agree with Cheshire Lad, I do not frequent any of the restaurants that only serve 33cl bottles of beer for silly prices. I recently had a trip out to one of the restaurants in Argaka and they charged €3.90 for a 66cl bottle a total rip off in my opinion for average food, plastic tables and paper serviettes. In contrast la vigna in coral bay charge the same but provide a different service. As Lloyd said if you go to an establishment that is offering more than a local taverna style of service you pay more. Luckily there are tavernas and restaurants to satisfy everyone’s taste and pocket so we can all vote with our feet!

Neil
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Its well known and obvious that the nearer to the tourist spots,the more you will pay. My local village oasis ?,,,2 euros large bottle of Carlsberg :D
Tsadaken

Post by Tsadaken »

Hi Glowred - You mentioned being charged 3.90 for a small beer in Argaka. Don't know if it was the same place we stopped at last week but as it was lunchtime we asked for 2 cans of soft drinks - only to be told we only sell it from the post - so we both had a large soft drink ( don't know exactly how much was in them but think about 50cl - apart for them being a tad on the flat side we felt totally ripped off at the 3.50 Euro charge each. Whilst appreciating that they need to make a living we felt we had been conned - charging inflated prices for an inferior product. Needlessly to say we will not be back
Tsadaken

Post by Tsadaken »

Hi Glowred - You mentioned being charged 3.90 for a small beer in Argaka. Don't know if it was the same place we stopped at last week but as it was lunchtime we asked for 2 cans of soft drinks - only to be told we only sell it from the post - so we both had a large soft drink ( don't know exactly how much was in them but think about 50cl - apart for them being a tad on the flat side we felt totally ripped off at the 3.50 Euro charge each. Whilst appreciating that they need to make a living we felt we had been conned - charging inflated prices for an inferior product. Needlessly to say we will not be back
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

glowred wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 am I have to agree with Cheshire Lad, I do not frequent any of the restaurants that only serve 33cl bottles of beer for silly prices.
What a pity as you will miss the nice restaurant "Muse", very popular with locals as well and they obviously don't mind getting only small bottles or draft served as it is nearly all year packed with Paphian's and tourists.
As far as I remember also at Gino's Pizzeria I could not see any large bottle of beer on the menu, but then their Pizza is delicious... :) and I don't care as I prefer a decent bottle of Italian red with my pizza... :D

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Not beer, but Diet Coke and in Sklavenitis cafe it costs €0.60 in a glass with ice and just down the road at Papantoniou with the same presentation it costs €1.20. Sklavenitis is the more pleasurable to use - in fact often meet friends for a coffee or occasionally have lunch there.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 am I have to say that with many Brits the main thing is beer as long as it is cheap and they are satisfied with whatever second rate food is served alongside that main 'amber nectar' course! :lol:

Thankfully I am not in that Category ... I like to have a Carlsburg when out for a meal, and I like good food. Fortunately I know places where these two items go together well, and at a very cheap price.
Trev..
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Cheshire Lad wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

How can you equate a beer, especially a lager, with value for money? Personally, I hate the ice-cold type lagers (inc. Keo) that are sold here and in the UK. I'd rather have a glass of water.

However, craft beers vary to a huge extent that no two beers are the same. Value doesn't come in to it unless your downing six pints on a Saturday night (SteliosBWFC, where are you???)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The only place I know the cost of a large Leon is Santa Marina in Coral Bay and that's only because it's posted on one of the Windows. I can't say I've ever checked the price of a pint, if the bar looks welcoming we go in.

Jim
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

@david at LWH. I think that the idea of value for money is evading you. Given that beer is the same quality in all of the location, what is the added value to paying the extra cost.

Just a quick one.....
Cost of a 63cl Carlsberg €2.75. Let’s call this the benchmark. What do you get?
Sea Breeze: Yes
View of the Harbour: yes
View of the old fort: yes

Now..Bar at Kennedy Square. Cost of a 33cl Carlsberg €2 90. This is a 100% hike on the previous cost . What do you get?
Sea Breeze: Err...No
View of the Harbour: No
Uninterrupted view of Kennedy Square Car Park: Yes
Choice of traffic lights to watch: Yes
Architectural: Nice view of a dilapidated Ex Police Station

And just in passing. Never in my life would I have attached the adjective “posh” to the Kennedy Square Bar.

CL
memory man

Post by memory man »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Come to that I never check the price of price of petrol in a garage; never have in 50 years.

Exactly the same with me.
If I need petrol, I just pop in to the nearest filling station.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I don't drink Carlsberg!
We don't do posh or pretentious but we expect the food is cooked well and tastes as it should. You shouldn't have to pay extra for that....
We check the price of food and drink before we enter the premises.
If we don't like them, we don't go in.
We also check the price of petrol - it's actually cheaper at one of the main road service stations near us than at our nearest supermarket (Morrisons).

I'm with CL on this - don't go back there again.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cost of beer at home...... one bottle opener

Cost of beer at resturant/ cafe/ bar
Rent
Rates
Tax
Staff wages
Staff social insurance
Electricty
Gas
Heating
Aircon