Immigration today ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bromerzz
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:32 am

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by bromerzz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm

There in lies a perceived problem with using agents, they effectively queue jump.
I have seen them go behind the staff counters at our local Transport office and leave a pile of applications with paper clipped cash on them for the staff to deal with. Our local office has two clerks and they deal with the steady flow of orderly but generally cheesed off queues. Once an agent pops in to leave their clients paperwork one of the staff drops serving the line of customers and gets on with the paperwork the agent leaves. they make no secret of the process.
Cant say I'm complaining or even "innocent" as I used an agent who charged €30 to complete the gift of property division paperwork to my wife some years ago and that saved several hours at the Land Registry.
Our local Citizens Service Centre does not do licence swops from UK to CY, they have notices displayed to that effect.

trevnhil
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm
Location: Polemi

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by trevnhil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 pm

As far as I know the Citizens Centre do not do UK drivers licence change for a Cyprus one
Trev..

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Dominic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 pm

bromerzz wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm
There in lies a perceived problem with using agents, they effectively queue jump.
I have seen them go behind the staff counters at our local Transport office and leave a pile of applications with paper clipped cash on them for the staff to deal with. Our local office has two clerks and they deal with the steady flow of orderly but generally cheesed off queues. Once an agent pops in to leave their clients paperwork one of the staff drops serving the line of customers and gets on with the paperwork the agent leaves. they make no secret of the process.
Cant say I'm complaining or even "innocent" as I used an agent who charged €30 to complete the gift of property division paperwork to my wife some years ago and that saved several hours at the Land Registry.
Our local Citizens Service Centre does not do licence swops from UK to CY, they have notices displayed to that effect.
Hadn't even thought of that. Doesn't that make them effectively illegal, if they are basically bribing government employees to get favourable treatment, or have I misunderstood you?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Austin7
Posts: 1253
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Tala - the not so posh as Kamares bit

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Austin7 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Varky and Mike; that's why many of us choose to use Gwenny-Mary. The queueing disappears at a stroke and you have someone to hand-hold you through the process, in and out with no delays. In the case of the Road Transport I suspect you may not even have to go there, you fill in the form at Gwenny's office, then pop back a day or two later to pick up your Cyprus licence.

Just had another thought Mike, why don't you try the Citizens Service Centre in Butcher Boy Rd?
Not quite correct. I had Gwenny's Mum sorting my licence change over which was very easy and quick with her help, but I had to be there to have my photo taken for the licence.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 am

Dominic wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 pm
Hadn't even thought of that. Doesn't that make them effectively illegal, if they are basically bribing government employees to get favourable treatment, or have I misunderstood you?

That may well be true, but it's the way things are done out here.

Austin7 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm
Not quite correct. I had Gwenny's Mum sorting my licence change over which was very easy and quick with her help, but I had to be there to have my photo taken for the licence.

Now that you mention it, you're right. Like Immigration you have to be there to have your photo taken, but at least you are given a time to meet up with your agent and everything is then sorted in minutes, with no hanging around.

trevnhil
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm
Location: Polemi

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by trevnhil » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am

We had free help years ago with our MEU 1 application and we never had to attend. We just enclosed photos, passports etc
Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..

User avatar
JimX
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Location: Tremithousa
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by JimX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 am

Well we did our own MEU3 form filling, absolutely no hanging around, we had everything ready as they asked, home in less than an hour with no agents fees at all, it is not rocket science, I am fairly dense in these matters but even I had no problems, Our new MEU3 came withing a couple of weeks in the post, we were advised to get the new MEU3 asp, and we did not wait for the last hurrahs of Brexit to get it done.

I honestly wish all members good luck getting the correct MEU3. we found it a breeze.
Jim.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:56 am
Location: Chloraka

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Lincoln » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 am

JimX wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 am
Well we did our own MEU3 form filling, absolutely no hanging around, we had everything ready as they asked, home in less than an hour with no agents fees at all, it is not rocket science, I am fairly dense in these matters but even I had no problems, Our new MEU3 came withing a couple of weeks in the post, we were advised to get the new MEU3 asp, and we did not wait for the last hurrahs of Brexit to get it done.

I honestly wish all members good luck getting the correct MEU3. we found it a breeze.
Like you we did the same. We sailed through with not a single problem. Without the huge charges that Gwenny makes
All things are possible

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 am

Jim and Lincoln, clearly your experiences were completely different to that of Varky and Mike Strand who posted their stories at the bottom of the previous page.

Sheer Khan
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Sheer Khan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Well as I posted earlier applied six months ago still waiting.

trevnhil
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm
Location: Polemi

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by trevnhil » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:15 pm

I think I would have emailed some department or other to see why the (apparent) delay .
Trev..

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm

You can send emails till you're blue in the face, Trev; 99 times out of 100 you'll get no reply.

When I was chasing up my, and my wife's, Cyprus state pensions, no-one replied to my emails. Most times they wouldn't even answer the phone. And now I've been waiting two years to get a significant refund from the Land Registry, no-one replies to those emails either. Even to a named individual: head of department!

Perhaps I'd have more success using a fax machine :lol:

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4387
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Just saw this article on Yahoo. There is a reciprocity about this threat...and unregistered expats in Cyprus might get the boot too: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-nationals- ... 34246.html

User avatar
mike strand2
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:30 am
Location: Kissonerga

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by mike strand2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Perhaps I'd have more success using a fax machine :lol:
You might laugh Lloyd, but I've been told it's true!

Jim B
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Immigration today ...

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 am
Jim and Lincoln, clearly your experiences were completely different to that of Varky and Mike Strand who posted their stories at the bottom of the previous page.
Like Jim and Lincoln we were in and out in 20 minutes and that was when the wife had TCN status. I used Gwenny to process certain documents years ago and she couldn't get them processed so did it myself. We waited nearly a year for the MU3 and then got an advocate to expedite them because the wife as a TCN couldn't leave the country without one.

Jim

Post Reply