Flights via mainland Europe to the UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Flights via mainland Europe to the UK

Post by Kili01 »

This interested me so I checked with Flight Radar 24. There are actually 10 flights arriving and departing from Paphos Airport today. 8 of them are being shown as RyanAir including the ones to London and Liverpool. RyanAir have or certainly had, 3 aircraft based at Paphos, so I suppose they are keeping busy!

Dee
Wererabbit

Post by Wererabbit »

OK so Paphos Liverpool on 8th and 12th show £39flights on Skyscanner..... Until you try to book them then there are insufficient tickets. There does seem to a paphos Stansted flight on the 14th that is bookable at £23 but its cutting it fine and is going to be expensive for onward travel. I have to get to Edinburgh and currently no Megabus into Scotland and trains are too expensive.

Ah well have decided to stop thinking about until 9th when Scotland are supposed to announce which airbridges with no quarantine on return they agree to. Will be quicker to do connecting flights straight there rather than trying to get there from London.

Thanks for all the replies
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its all speculation and airlines trying to bait people with cheapo tickets for flights that might not fly, only certain thing is to wait for an official announcement from the government.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Indeed it is.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

To be allowed into Cyprus you need to complete a Cyprus Flight Pass and to do that currently you need to be a citizen or legal resident. Or have obtained special permission from the govt. If no negative covid test certificate within 72 hours of the flight is held then the test is taken on arrival at the Cyprus airport for 60 euros (This potentially changes from August 1st and whilst the flight pass is still a requirement Covid testing at a Cyprus airport is not available for tourists and a neg test certificate no older than 72 hours before take off must be produced).

The flights from the UK are currently taking place and people can book them however it is the passengers responsibility to ensure that the necessary documents are carried as they may be asked for at the check in desk or at boarding. Airlines have the right to refuse boarding just like if you didn't have your passport. No refunds will be given for denial of boarding. As the flights are taking place they are arriving into Cyprus and are able to then take passengers to the UK.
I am sure that quarantine in the UK ends soon but a UK form still needs to be completed before arrival at UK border control.
WHL

Post by WHL »

panoscouse wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm To be allowed into Cyprus you need to complete a Cyprus Flight Pass and to do that currently you need to be a citizen or legal resident. Or have obtained special permission from the govt. If no negative covid test certificate within 72 hours of the flight is held then the test is taken on arrival at the Cyprus airport for 60 euros (This potentially changes from August 1st and whilst the flight pass is still a requirement Covid testing at a Cyprus airport is not available for tourists and a neg test certificate no older than 72 hours before take off must be produced).

The flights from the UK are currently taking place and people can book them however it is the passengers responsibility to ensure that the necessary documents are carried as they may be asked for at the check in desk or at boarding. Airlines have the right to refuse boarding just like if you didn't have your passport. No refunds will be given for denial of boarding. As the flights are taking place they are arriving into Cyprus and are able to then take passengers to the UK.
I am sure that quarantine in the UK ends soon but a UK form still needs to be completed before arrival at UK border control.
Spot on
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Neighbours of ours flew back from Paphos to Stansted, on Saturday with Ryan Air. Other neighbours, who have residency, returned back on the same flight. The ones returning to the UK had to fill in an online form before they travelled. I booked the flight for them using my UK euro credit card, but ryanair changed the currency to pounds sterling, even though the price shown was in euros, and I got a lousy exchange rate.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 am I booked the flight for them using my UK euro credit card, but ryanair changed the currency to pounds sterling, even though the price shown was in euros, and I got a lousy exchange rate.
From what I've seen before, even if you change the booking system to display the price in your local currency it charges in the currency from where the flight will depart from.

I was costing up flights to and from Morocco just a couple of weeks ago as we wanted to fly into one destination from UK and back to UK from a different Moroccan airport so although both were with either easyJet or Ryanair the return flight was always in Dirhams when I reached the payment page.

We changed our minds given the current situation and thought we would be better to be self-isolating if it became necessary in a place where it's already been handled successfully, so we're going to the Canaries instead....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

They charge in the currency of the credit card. Price was shown in euros. Card was a UK one so was charged in pounds at a lousy exchange rate. There appeared no way keeping the euro currency, which was shown on the booking page, and it was only when checked my credit card bill that I noticed I had been charged in pounds. So if you are booking from Cyprus to the UK use a Cyprus credit card.
Wererabbit

Post by Wererabbit »

OK so I booked with Ryanair to Stansted from Paphos yesterday it was £23 and it did actually fly, shocking!! There was virtually no one on it and there seemed to be just the one flight at a time.

I filled in the UK locator form which states you are to show on arrival but no one even asked if we'd completed them let alone looked at them. Maybe it saves somewhere when you use the site otherwise bit of a pointless exercise.

Coaches are running with only window seats being used so one person per set.

As much as this whole situation is absolutely horrible the one silver lining here was despite having to wear a mask travelling was great = calm, ordered and with space to yourself.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for posting your experience of a flight to the UK. It shows that you can get a flight and that the checking of documentation is not too bad..
Trev..