Momentous Songs of the 60’s/70’s that influenced you

Post anything to do with music here. Been to any good gigs? Let us know!
Jimgward

Momentous Songs of the 60’s/70’s that influenced you

Post by Jimgward »

I’ll start with Nights in White Satin - the standard “slow dance” in the early 70’s for me...

[media] [/media]
memory man

Re: Momentous Songs of the 60’s/70’s that influenced you

Post by memory man »

The slow dance song for me was " Please Stay "

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Favoured make-out album was Dark Side of the Moon.

Brain Damage/ Eclipse.

Play it loud. There is no other way.

Incidently, for years I thought the final words of the first part (Brain Damage) were "actually there's no more words". Thanks to the subtitles on this clip I now see they actually said "I think it's marvelous".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

This one did it for me in 61. Fell in love with my future wife to be & we both still love the song. Another slow dance but great memories from music of that era. Nice one Jim & perhaps we might see you on the Song Chain someday?

Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through The Grapvine

Still like this record today & it brings back happy days when I couldn’t wait to be a bit older!
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

"In a broken dream" Python Lee Jackson.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

For those that didnt know the vocals on "in a broken dream" were supplied by a very young Sir Rod Stewart c.a 1970

It was one of the earliest "singles" that I bought and I think I may still have it !! I had an old "Dansette" which was my first ever record player, back in the day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_Lee_Jackson

This post has sort of give me a kick up the backside. I have boxes and boxes of albums and some singles covering 1970 until the CD era and I saw the other day on Amazon some quite cheap £ 40-£ 50 old school style record players that convert to digital via USB etc

Have any of you peeps had an any recent experience in playing old vinyl, are these any good, and any recommendations of makes etc ????
Last edited by Mirek on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Getting back on subject, for me its this

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Associated with the songs, momentous or not, let's have a look at the technology of the 60s and 70s.

Between 1964 and 1974 I had the privilege of working with Stefan Kudelski, whose company was the leading Nagra audio portable tape recorder in the world. We did vast amounts of research and studies on recorded sound quality by nearly every means. At the beginning of my experience there, commercial audio recording was exclusively on analogue magnetic tape. This was not a strictly linear technology and consequently introduced a certain amount of harmonic distortion. This was of course incorporated into the vinyl discs of the time.

At the time, some excellent amplifiers were produced with minimal distortion, including the Leak and, above all, the Williamson. These both relied on the KT 66 beam tetrode as output valves, although the loudspeakers of the day didn't quite measure up to them. Nevertheless, the audible sound quality from top-end commercial vinyl discs was very good. I still have a goodly number of them, some excellent some less so.

Towards the end of my stint with Kudelski, 12-bit was coming in and, with some jiggery-pokery, produced reproduced sound which was superior to the analogue sound. I have one vinyl disc and a number of early CD discs with the really excellent sound quality, way above that of the traditional 33 LP, dating from the mid-70s. In fact, some of them will give modern sound reproduction a run for its money. Today, of course, decent sound is digitally recorded at 16-bits and mastered down to 12-bits on CDs which, in my opinion, provide superior sound quality than 16-bit recordings, because of really skilful mastering.

The big problem today is probably still at the level of the loudspeaker. In the 1970s, a decent loudspeaker system would weigh anything up to a hundred kilograms with the most excellent transducers. These were fine for professional studios but hardly suitable for home use. I still use speakers which I bought in the 1970s, top of the range, home use types, fairly large by modern standards and weighing 30 to 40 kg each. I have never heard better from modern compact speakers, although I have cloth ears! Today, of course I cannot appreciate their sound because of age-deterioration of my hearing. Notwithstanding, I shall not change them for smaller models.

As an ex-professional in the art of sound reproduction, and as an engineer, I claim that much of the publicity of facts and fiction has always been a load of twaddle. For example, some users still rely on the old KT 66 valves (tubes) and claim that their sound quality is far superior than with semiconductor amplifiers which do not have the nonlinearity in inherent in vacuum tube technology, thanks to massive negative feedback. They forget that amplification is only one of many means to an end. If I were to go into more technical details, for example about amplifiers, this article could be 10 times longer. I am quite prepared to state that at least 90 percent of the publicity around sound equipment for the home is generally hype. This is not to say that you cannot buy a decent sound system at a reasonable price, but the prices often unreasonable for the level of quality that is offered.

I could go on for hours dictating just a little of what I know from experience beyond hi-fi but I am sure that Dominic would have kittens trying to read it all! :-) :-) :-)
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

A short story & not as comprehensive as Devil's but as a student at the General Electric Company in 1959 some latched onto a series of lectures at the College. They came in full of enthusiasm after the first lecture & were told that the sound on vinyl deteriorates each time it is played suggesting that the stylus begins to damage the grooves. None had the means to prove that but as Devil suggested, our hearing gets worse as we get older but decent speakers helps to compensate as do good headphones. To try & answer Mirek's question, not all songs have been converted to digital so I still browse shops selling vinyl & occasionally find something I want & put up with a few crackles
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

An interesting comment! The main response is that there are styli and there are styli. The weight of the stylus onto the disc is important, the lighter the better on condition that it does not jump out of the groove or even try to do so. Also important is the shape and finish of the stylus; ideally it should have a very thin oval section so that it can enter the thinnest shape on the disc. The downside is that the stylus wears very quickly and has to be changed to get the best high-frequency response. Of course, such expensive styli may not be in everybody's pocket as polishing diamonds to shape is not easy. The finishing used to be done by master craftsmen in Amsterdam.

As stated, with a little exaggeration, many record players ploughed up the discs almost as well as a farmer in a muddy field!

In my old age, my high frequencies have all but disappeared but it is not as bad as it sounds; with my hearing aids on I can still hear Kennedy stretching his hand almost to the bridge, albeit with the distortion of the electronics in my lug hole. What is interesting is that I can still appreciate these high frequencies because any undesirable overtones are probably lost in the hearing aid.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I suspect we are drifting away from Jimward's original post. This song left an impression on me from that era

The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

One of many...
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Oakland

Post by Oakland »

Hi Guys

Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey

Les
Oakland

Post by Oakland »

Hi Guys

Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey

Les
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Cool new fan video of the all-time classic.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.