So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Varky

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Varky »

Les Bean,

Not sure about the 31st date. Maybe would be a loss of face in front of the electorate. On the other hand if an extension did come into force then he could point to it being parliament's doing so that if a general election were to happen soon then it would strengthen his hand as I think he would win a general election. The labour party want a second referendum (I think but they are not sure), the lib-dems clearly want to remain, but on the basis of the 17 million who voted out they could both end up losing a lot of support. The only problem for the conservatives is the Brexit party which could split the tory vote.
All the shenanigans that we have seen in parliament has done nothing to give confidence to the electorate that they, parliament, have any idea how to run the country and this could have an effect on turn out at a general election. A pretty sorry state if you ask me.
Jimgward

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Jimgward »

I posted on here previously, that informed speculation is that Boris wants to avoid the UK being in the EU on the 1st January, as money laundering and tax avoidance laws would come into force in the UK. Something many wealthy people are dreading.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think if we could all trust that the government was trying to honestly do what was best for the country and the people in it, then we wouldn't have a problem. Some kind of free-trade deal with the EU is necessary - whether Norway, Canada, Switzerland models or whatever.
out
Also, drop the crap about Sovereignty and control of our borders and immigration - we always had it. Also, the crap about EU laws....

If we leave, fine, but do it honestly, with integrity and in a way to leave the entire populace in at least as good a financial position.