So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Jimgward »

I wonder what the ‘democratic’ Brexiteers have to say?
Swerve

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Swerve »

I say that he has been driven to do so by the remain collaborators! If they can play dirty then so can he!
WHL

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by WHL »

The whole lot stink Pro/Anti Brexit MPs, please dont talk about Democracy, your all Hypocrites .
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:57 am I wonder what the ‘democratic’ Brexiteers have to say?
I'm slightly confused here Jimgward. You as a Remainer presumably support those such as the Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP leaders trying to stop Britain leaving and thereby ignoring the will of the majority who voted in a democratic referendum yet then complain that the PM is trying to enforce what was voted for. Sorry to break this to you but you can't actually have it both ways!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

That's a new one for the list, I've never been called a collaborator before. :-(
What would you call people who put party before country then?
Like Kim Philby, Burgess and Mclean who put the Communist party before their country: what were they called, mmmmmm!!!!

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

From REUTERS:
“LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s Boris Johnson will limit lawmakers’ opportunities to derail his plans for Brexit by announcing his new legislative agenda on Oct. 14 - his boldest move yet in the push to take the country out of the European Union on Oct. 31. Reaction:
JAMES CLEVERLY, CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNING CONSERVATIVE PARTY
“Or to put it another way: Government to hold a Queen’s Speech, just as all new Governments do.”
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But it isn't a new government. there was no general election. All that happened was the leadership changed hands.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:41 pm
Jimgward wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:57 am I wonder what the ‘democratic’ Brexiteers have to say?
I'm slightly confused here Jimgward. You as a Remainer presumably support those such as the Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP leaders trying to stop Britain leaving and thereby ignoring the will of the majority who voted in a democratic referendum yet then complain that the PM is trying to enforce what was voted for. Sorry to break this to you but you can't actually have it both ways!
Almost all remainders support another referendum, where no-deal would be a choice. Let the people decide. Michael Gove himself, said in March this year, that no-deal would not be on the table.
\

3.04 pm March 13th 2019 - Hansard

The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Michael Gove)

I beg to move,

That this House declines to approve leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship on 29 March 2019; and notes that leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this House and the EU ratify an agreement.

Let me begin by paying tribute to our Prime Minister. She may have temporarily lost her voice, but what she has never lost, and will never lose, is a focus on the national interest and a full-hearted desire to do what is right for our country
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm But it isn't a new government. there was no general election. All that happened was the leadership changed hands.
It is a new PM and as such he is perfectly entitled to do as he did in regard to Queens speech. ( taken from Reuters) Typically, a Queen’s Speech is held every year. Johnson is a new prime minister, who took over from Theresa May in July, and so would be expected to have his own legislative priorities.

Because of the volume of legislation that was anticipated ahead of Brexit, the current parliamentary session has lasted more than two years. The last Queen’s Speech was in 2017.

The government says a new program is overdue.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:41 pm
Almost all remainders support another referendum, where no-deal would be a choice. Let the people decide. Michael Gove himself, said in March this year, that no-deal would not be on the table.
\

3.04 pm March 13th 2019 - Hansard

The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Michael Gove)

I beg to move,

That this House declines to approve leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship on 29 March 2019; and notes that leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this House and the EU ratify an agreement.

Let me begin by paying tribute to our Prime Minister. She may have temporarily lost her voice, but what she has never lost, and will never lose, is a focus on the national interest and a full-hearted desire to do what is right for our country
You didn't answer my question. Again the people DID decide and were told that a leave vote would also mean leaving the single market. Again I say, you can't have it both ways, complaining about the PM being undemocratic whilst supporting a group of party leaders who are doing the same thing for different reasons.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

They would probably reply it is perfectly reasonable measure to take considering the actions being discussed and directed by Mr Corbyn in order to overturn a democratic vote to leave the EU.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s Queen Elizabeth has approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to suspend parliament, a statement from the official body of advisers to the Queen, known as the Privy Council, said on Wednesday.
The statement confirmed that parliament would be suspended on a day between Sept. 9 and Sept. 12, until Oct. 14.
“It is this day ordered by Her Majesty in Council that the Parliament be prorogued on a day no earlier than Monday the 9th day of September and no later than Thursday the 12th day of September 2019 to Monday the 14th day of October 2019,” the statement said.
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:24 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm But it isn't a new government. there was no general election. All that happened was the leadership changed hands.
It is a new PM and as such he is perfectly entitled to do as he did in regard to Queens speech. ( taken from Reuters) Typically, a Queen’s Speech is held every year. Johnson is a new prime minister, who took over from Theresa May in July, and so would be expected to have his own legislative priorities.

Because of the volume of legislation that was anticipated ahead of Brexit, the current parliamentary session has lasted more than two years. The last Queen’s Speech was in 2017.

The government says a new program is overdue.
If that was the case he should hold be holding a GE, like he urged Gordon Brown to. He can't have it both ways.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I agree Dominic and I hope he does.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I thought that Parliament from Sept the 12th to October the 9th was not sitting due to the Party Conference Season.

So, we are actually losing a few days only of Parliaments time only, at a maximum 3 days in September (if the 9th is the date, but it could be the 12th and no days lost) and 5 days in October, 2 of which are Sat and Sunday, assuming business is normal after the 14th. Any new deal will not be available until after the 17th October to vote on, there should be ample time to debate any new deal and accept/reject it.

Probably the best time to do it with the minimum loss of debating time.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Boris, in my opinion, has take the advice of Dominic Cummings, the most powerful person in the UK just now - according to many. An unelected bureaucrat. (Remember that phrase, when used about some in the EU?). This will be to force parliament to call a no-confidence vote, forcing a general election, taking pressure off Boris to deliver a deal or no-deal by 31st October. Boris than then campaign on taking us out - which in cahoots with Farage will deliver an overall majority to do what they want about Brexit. Anyone who regards this as positive needs their head looked at - they are either naive, stupid, extremely rich and not caring, uncaring about anyone but themselves, or so right-wing they’d make Rees-Mogg seem a moderate.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:23 pm Boris, in my opinion, has take the advice of Dominic Cummings, the most powerful person in the UK just now - according to many. An unelected bureaucrat. (Remember that phrase, when used about some in the EU?). This will be to force parliament to call a no-confidence vote, forcing a general election, taking pressure off Boris to deliver a deal or no-deal by 31st October. Boris than then campaign on taking us out - which in cahoots with Farage will deliver an overall majority to do what they want about Brexit. Anyone who regards this as positive needs their head looked at - they are either naive, stupid, extremely rich and not caring, uncaring about anyone but themselves, or so right-wing they’d make Rees-Mogg seem a moderate.
Such an incredibly judgmental post about people who hold differing views to you. I often wonder why Remainers have to belittle others to reinforce their own viewpoint.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

If it’s a mirror that fits ....

I regard anyone now, looking for a no-deal Brexit as either deranged or totally selfish. There is no other answer, knowing there will be millions of unemployed, shortages and much more. Take your pick....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Here we go again, Leavers trying to defend the indefensible.
Wasn't the central pillar of the Brexit case for leaving the EU to "Give Back Control" to the British parliament? Now because parliament is questioning the government's actions they don't want to give back control because they can't have their own way.
Hypocracy

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm I agree Dominic and I hope he does.
Hey! We agree on something!