So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Jimgward »

When fervent Brexiteers abandon the Torres, because of Boris, then something’s afoot.

The Yellowhammer papers will be well-known to the Ministers and they make for terrible reading. Perhaps this is now coming down to one thing;

Tax avoiding schemes will no longer be legal in January 2020 as they will be subject to EU scrutiny. There you have it!
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Dominic »

I am a remainer but see no merit in extending the deadline at all. So on that at least I agree with the PM. If they can't come up with a new deal, either go for May's deal, No Deal, or just remain. But let it end.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Being tax efficient is what most people / households do who have a relatively good income, I do not agree with Tax Avoidance Schemes and they should be made illegal and subject to EU Scrutiny - that rich given the EU has never submitted accounts in all the time in its existence and they want to scrutinise EU members states tax schemes "do as we tell you not as we do" springs to mind
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Unfortunately I don't think anyone has come out of this with any class or glory. The whole thing stinks to high heaven now and needs to end. It has gone beyond farce. Why on earth should the EU grant yet another extension? It's been dragging on for 3 bloody years.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am Apparently in today’s Telegraph, it has been leaked that Boris intends to comply by the law, by asking for an extension.....

But simultaneously, will submit another letter, asking for NO extension and to ignore the letter where he is asking for one.

I.e. conforms to the LETTER of the law, then squirms out of it..... nasty
How is he "squirming out of it" He has been forced to seek an extension which he will do. Adding his opinion to it is not, as far as I know illegal. He is saying what many are thinking, end this circus now. I can't for the life of me see how that is "nasty"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What exactly will happen between now and January that would give merit to any extension?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Jimgward wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am Apparently in today’s Telegraph, it has been leaked that Boris intends to comply by the law, by asking for an extension.....

But simultaneously, will submit another letter, asking for NO extension and to ignore the letter where he is asking for one.

How is he "squirming out of it" He has been forced to seek an extension which he will do. Adding his opinion to it is not, as far as I know illegal. He is saying what many are thinking, end this circus now. I can't for the life of me see how that is "nasty"
What is nasty, is that he intends the letter asking for an extension, to be overwritten by the one asking not.... I.e. .... forget it, I said it clearly...
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:46 pm

What is nasty, is that he intends the letter asking for an extension, to be overwritten by the one asking not.... I.e. .... forget it, I said it clearly...
He is doing what Parliament require of him. He is also doing what he has said and that is to try and get Britain out by 31 October. You still haven't explained why that is nasty. Perhaps you'd care to explain what is nasty about that. I get that you don't like him, I get that you are a remainer, what I don't get is why you label him nasty for expressing his opinion ( as any PM would do). I can only surmise it's because you don't like the fact he is trying to deliver what was voted for by the people of Britain.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgym

Well said
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

living the dream wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:57 pm Being tax efficient is what most people / households do who have a relatively good income, I do not agree with Tax Avoidance Schemes and they should be made illegal and subject to EU Scrutiny - that rich given the EU has never submitted accounts in all the time in its existence and they want to scrutinise EU members states tax schemes "do as we tell you not as we do" springs to mind
LtD
You should really check your facts before making statements.
As I wrote earlier proroguing is irrelevant in respect to Brexit now, apart from it stops day to day business being processed.

Jim

.https://fullfact.org/europe/did-auditor ... eu-budget/
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

He is doing what Parliament require of him. He is also doing what he has said and that is to try and get Britain out by 31 October. You still haven't explained why that is nasty. Perhaps you'd care to explain what is nasty about that. I get that you don't like him, I get that you are a remainer, what I don't get is why you label him nasty for expressing his opinion ( as any PM would do). I can only surmise it's because you don't like the fact he is trying to deliver what was voted for by the people of Britain.
He is going to break the law, which means that parliament will have to find the Government to have broken the law.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:19 pm Jimgym

Well said
Jackie, you need to have an opinion, not just agreeing with any right-wing statement
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgw

I do, and I have.

If I agree with another person's post, then it's up to me whether or not I comment.

Why is it that you remainers call us right-wing, when all we are asking for is the Government to carry out the result of the referendum. Now you may not like that, but that's it.

And for the what it's worth, I know left-wing voters who agree with me.

Jackie
Last edited by Firefly on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 pm
Fat finger syndrome again.... canx the like😂. Surely he is doing the exact opposite of what Parliament has asked him to do, otherwise why the 2 letters?
Why is he doing the opposite? He is required to send the letter, which I am assuming he will do. He is also expressing his opinion. Are you saying he shouldn't tell the EU what he wants?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:48 pm
He is going to break the law, which means that parliament will have to find the Government to have broken the law.
Tell me, how will he be breaking the law if he sends the letter as directed by parliament? Are you saying he cannot send another expressing his opinion? I have no clue as to the legality of that.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Well said
Jackie, you need to have an opinion, not just agreeing with any right-wing statement
Would you care to explain why my statement and presumably me as I made it, are "right wing" ? Or are you trying to use the expression as some sort of insult? I'm very curious....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan

I think it was May who coined the phrase the "Nasty Party" though I may be wrong.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:58 pm Alan

I think it was May who coined the phrase the "Nasty Party" though I may be wrong.

Jim
Sorry Jim but you've lost me there?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Well said
Would you care to explain why my statement and presumably me as I made it, are "right wing" ? Or are you trying to use the expression as some sort of insult? I'm very curious....
The comment was directed at Jackie.... who, in my opinion, only agrees with these type of posts
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan
I thought you were asking where did the reference "Nasty" came from in reference to Boris and Tories in general.

Jim