So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 am
Jimgym wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm I agree Dominic and I hope he does.
Hey! We agree on something!
I’m chilling the champagne!😀
Jimgym

Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic.

Post by Jimgym »

Interesting video, full of information thank you. I am amazed at the hypocrisy of John Major.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

If debating Brexit is so important why didn't MP's cancel there summer holidays and stay at home debate it???
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

MB

Because their hols are more important, of course :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

From Reuters:
“Breaking News:
Scottish court rules that Boris Johnson's decision to suspend parliament does not contravene the rule of law”.
Jon.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Good
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm From Reuters:
“Breaking News:
Scottish court rules that Boris Johnson's decision to suspend parliament does not contravene the rule of law”.
Jon.
It's irrelevant now, things have moved on.

Jim
June

Post by June »

Lloyd....Boris Johnson's plan was always to go for a no deal Brexit if it came to it, that was his strategy, well advertised....so why all this whinging when the people he gave goverment positions to let him down? If they couldn't back him why should he keep them on board? Simples..... As for massive preparations to leave....why is that a bad thing?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

"This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs.

She called it an "assault on decency and democracy" after the prime minister sacked 21 "talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives".

For the above rhetoric read:
An essential and decisive action to remove twenty- odd blinkered Europhile traitors, who had shown undisguised contempt for the electorate with their “coup”. That was the real “assault on decency and democracy”- drain the swamp of these untalented EU weasels.
Jon.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Or, read

I finally realised that I could not longer support a dictatorship. A lying, conniving and disloyal PM who will do anything for any place in history.
I never respected her previously but do now.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am "This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs.

She called it an "assault on decency and democracy" after the prime minister sacked 21 "talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives".

An essential and decisive action to remove twenty- odd blinkered Europhile traitors, who had shown undisguised contempt for the electorate with their “coup”. That was the real “assault on decency and democracy”- drain the swamp of these untalented EU weasels.
Jon.
Jon

And I thought that's what democracy was all about; voting with the courage of your convictions but it appears to me your opinion is they should vote the way they're ordered to vote by "THE PARTY" which smacks of dictatorship to me. Many of those MPs come from Remain voting wards so who are they "TRAITORS" to the people who voted for them or to "THE PARTY".
Our Democracy is not fit for purpose, it's broken, it doesn't work in this day and age.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

No, representative democracy is all about carrying out the wishes of the people who elected you, and that's why it doesn't exist. Those M.P.s are not carrying out the wishes of the electorate, but voting for their OWN convictions. Boris is trying to be democratic, but being prevented by doing so, by all the self servers.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am Jim

No, representative democracy is all about carrying out the wishes of the people who elected you, and that's why it doesn't exist. Those M.P.s are not carrying out the wishes of the electorate, but voting for their OWN convictions. Boris is trying to be democratic, but being prevented by doing so, by all the self servers.
Jackie
You are quoting representative democracy but referring to direct democracy; you can't have the best bits of both. As I understand it representative democracy is about sending an MP to decide on an issue using their knowledge and wisdom wereas direct democracy is sending an MP to vote as directed by their constituents. It appears you and Jon are not happy with either system, you want them to do as they're told by the leader which to my mind is how a dictatorship operates.
What you are advocating is there should be no dissent and according to Jon those of us who do are Traitors.

Jim
June

Post by June »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:53 am
June wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 amLloyd....Boris Johnson's plan was always to go for a no deal Brexit if it came to it, that was his strategy, well advertised....

But you think he's marvellous :lol:

Please do not put words in my mouth.
At no time have I said or thought that.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am "This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs.

Jon.
Can I sense a bit of bias here?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I see a "lady" MP called Theresa Coffey has replaced Amber Rudd. She is a well known Rupert Murdoch supporter who has voted a number of times against parliamentary censure of him and was one of only 72 MPs who voted against a bill to make rented accommodation suitable for human habitation, James Cleverly being another and also a well known supporter of Blojo; she will be in good company.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

At no time would I ever trust any M.P. of any party, to decide the fate of the UK without the support of their constituents. I have been 'instructed' many times on the political forum that we in the UK have a representative democracy. This is simply not true, as has been proven.

The power M.P.s have has clearly gone to their heads, they are not at liberty to please themselves, sadly they do, even to the action of 'jumping ship' and still keeping their seats, sheer madness.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jackie
Like it or not we have a Representitive Democracy or at least we're supposed to and that means the MPs representin us weigh the pro's and con's of an issue and then make a decision on which way to vote. Now you or I may not agree with the system but unfortunately for those who disagree with it, that's the system we're presently stuck with.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Apparently in today’s Telegraph, it has been leaked that Boris intends to comply by the law, by asking for an extension.....

But simultaneously, will submit another letter, asking for NO extension and to ignore the letter where he is asking for one.

I.e. conforms to the LETTER of the law, then squirms out of it..... nasty
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Lets not forget Labours stance in all this as it has changed at every turn. Boris has had his hands tied at every turn by Pro Remainers who do not respect the result of the referendum. Emily Thornbury has stated on a politics programme the other day that should labour win an election she will negotiate a deal with the EU then return to Parliament and campaign against her own / Labours deal in order to get the deal thrown out - the studio audience were in hysterics with the presenter stating the obvious of how ridiculous she sounded. Lib Dems have only one vision and that is to force the revocation of article 50 and now Macron and Vorstadt and a few others are stating their will be no extension to the 31st deadline.

No Extension by the EU currently means No Deal in the present situation, remainers have pushed through legislation preventing a No Deal and virtually everyone threw out Mays Deal. Come 31st October if the EU vote not to extend the deadline which they have today said they will not then we leave by default anyway so all the antics of the remainers will be for nothing. The EU have stated that a no extension stance will probably see a snap general election in order for the UK to try break this deadlock one way or another. As far as Proroguing Parliament Boris is well within the law as per recent legal judgements, delaying tactics more than likely but what options has he had with remainers putting up obstacles at every turn to stop him from trying to get a deal. A No Deal scenario was the UK's main trump card and that has now been taken away.