Brexit Bill

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Swerve

Brexit Bill

Post by Swerve »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... vorce-bill

It appears that numerous articles are now stating that should we leave with No Deal then our legal commitments are only about 9 billion - leaves us a fair bit to counteract what has already been spent in preparation and much more besides.
Boris Johnson enthusiasm and drive are a pleasure to see and he is certainly showing that he is not Boris the buffoon but a very capable PM.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Brexit Bill

Post by Dominic »

Lay off the crack pipe.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I'd put your tin hat on if I were you!!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Their is no 9bn, never mind 39bn. It’s all to be borrowed to increase the deficit.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Were we to stay in, Jim, you would presumably be quite content that we had to borrow even more in order to pay for more EU munificence?
Jon.
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

I always feel that once you are scraping the barrel with personal derogatory comments then you really are losing the argument.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:59 pm Were we to stay in, Jim, you would presumably be quite content that we had to borrow even more in order to pay for more EU munificence?
Jon.
Leaving will cost that and more - staying in would boost our gdp and more than pay for itself. It’s simple and proven economics. The EU costs the UK around £10bn a year. Since the referendum, we have lost 5 times that and more, in losses due to exchange rates and drop in gdp. Wait for the losses when the services companies ditch London.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

As posted on another thread by me, the Brazilian President has apparently been scraping the barrel.

Emmanuel Macron has blasted 'extraordinarily rude' Brazil leader Jair Bolsonaro for insulting his wife and appearing to criticise her looks as their feud over the Amazon fires got personal today.

Bolsonaro endorsed a sexist Facebook post about France's 66-year-old first lady Brigitte Macron yesterday, the latest chapter in an escalating war of words between him and his French counterpart.

French President Macron, 41, had called for emergency talks by G7 nations on the fires destroying chunks of the Amazon rainforest, piling pressure on Bolsonaro, who in turn accused him of having a 'colonialist mentality'.

A Bolsonaro supporter yesterday posted a meme mocking the appearance of Mrs Macron and compared her unfavourably with Brazil's 37-year-old first lady Michelle Bolsonaro.

It had the tagline: 'Now you understand why Macron is persecuting Bolsonaro?'

The far-right Brazilian leader, 64, replied: 'Do not humiliate the guy, ha ha,' referring to Mr Macron.
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm
Swerve wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 amI always feel that once you are scraping the barrel with personal derogatory comments then you really are losing the argument.

I simply described Boris as I saw him. My view is unchanged. Are you able to perhaps set me straight with some of Boris's more flattering attributes, as you see them?

I had a meeting today with my Cypriot shop landlord. His observations of Boris were much less favourable than mine. He saw also analogies between Boris and Trump, as in 'two of a kind'. What is it with today's world leaders? :o
Certainly not HIC! I stand by my opinion that derogatory remarks about a person's weight or look are out of order and have nothing whatsoever to do with their ability. Re your Cypriot landlord, why on earth should I or indeed anyone else give a fig as to what he thinks?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:08 am I have yet to meet a Cypriot who is not absolutely askance at what is going on in the UK.
I have yet to meet a Cypriot who has a clue or cares what is going on in the UK
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

If Cypriots paid into the EU the amount that we do, they might feel differently. They also gain a lot from being a member of the EU, that too might colour their thinking.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

We pay in around £7 - £9bn a year net. It is estimated being Eu members gains us around £50bn a year due to easier trade etc. Jackie, you won’t believe me but then hard-brexiteers refuse to only see EU bad. I see good and bad in the Eu and the UK.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Firefly wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 pm Lloyd

If Cypriots paid into the EU the amount that we do, they might feel differently. They also gain a lot from being a member of the EU, that too might colour their thinking.

Jackie
I understand that Cyprus is a net contributor to the EU.

A.
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

I can only find the information for 2017 but certainly for that year Cyprus contributed 0.137 billion but received 0.207 billion so if my maths are correct Cyprus received 0.07 billion more than they contributed.
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

I was merely correcting Lofos-5 who was suggesting that Cyprus was a net contributor. It isn't. So you infer that Cyprus is not bothered about a mere €70 million and you also imply that Cypriots would not have a clue about net contributions but they certainly do know about the wrongs of the UK leaving the EU? Methinks you may be a tad contradictory there.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Swerve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:02 am I was merely correcting Lofos-5 who was suggesting that Cyprus was a net contributor. It isn't. So you infer that Cyprus is not bothered about a mere €70 million and you also imply that Cypriots would not have a clue about net contributions but they certainly do know about the wrongs of the UK leaving the EU? Methinks you may be a tad contradictory there.
You beat me to it! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Swerve wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 pm I can only find the information for 2017 but certainly for that year Cyprus contributed 0.137 billion but received 0.207 billion so if my maths are correct Cyprus received 0.07 billion more than they contributed.
Since its accession to the EU, Cyprus has paid to the European Union EUR 139 million over what it has received.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It isn't a question.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Pedantics, Pedantics; why can't people just hold their hands up when proven wrong.

Jim