EU Trade Deals

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

EU Trade Deals

Post by Jimgym »

I was reading in the newspapers that France has blocked the proposed trade deal with Brazil and neighbours. After 20 years of working toward this it has now fallen at the final hurdle.https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 76181.html
Jimgym

Re: EU Trade Deals

Post by Jimgym »

Oh dear you really are pathetic at times. Can you point out where I said it was good news? Nowhere, yet it suits your agenda to assume many things, which is why you are constantly made to look an idiot.

You again make an assumption that I am incapable of reading beyond a headline, when in fact I read many, many articles, in full. Yet I don't always post reams of print. Mainly because a small section is better. I posted to inform everyone, I didn't offer ANY opinion, yet you come along and make wild assumptions. I know all well not only the importance of the rainforests but also the reasons why Macron has taken his stance. So next time rather than jumping in with both feet and not engaging your brain, try taking a post for just what it is, posting a newsworthy and relevant article. Your reaction to my post says more about you than anything else.

I am extremely glad the deal has been blocked.Let's hope other countries get behind this issue. Perhaps now Brazil will stop burning the planets lungs with impunity and actually realise the world is not going to stand by and let it happen. Sometimes there are things more important than trade and money.
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

Methinks you are becoming a tad paranoid HIC! You are basically accusing Jimgym of lying and if you really believe that the EU take principled stances then you really are losing the plot!!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:01 am Yet I don't always post reams of print. Mainly because a small section is better. I posted to inform everyone, I didn't offer ANY opinion, yet you come along and make wild assumptions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:40 am
Jimgym wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:12 pmAfter 20 years of working toward this it has now fallen at the final hurdle

Had you not inserted the above into your OP I might believe your claim, but your OP is suggestive that the trade deal was an example of an EU failure. It is anything but; rather an example of the principled stance which the EU will take, even if against it's own commercial interest.

As an aside I don't believe the decision to suspend the deal is anything other than temporary, used to knock Bolsonaro into shape.
I don't give a damn what you believe. Your comment was way out of order and you just cannot bring yourself to admit you got it completely and utterly wrong. As I dead originally I made NO comment, yet you insert a whole backstory for my posting. You continue to believe what you wish, despite what people ACTUALLY think. It does make you look incredibly silly.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

REUTERS. August 24, 2019 / 8:32 PM /
Britain joins Germany in criticising Macron's Mercosur threat
William James, Michel Rose [Note last sentence!]
BIARRITZ, France (Reuters) - Britain joined Germany on Saturday in criticising French President Emmanuel Macron’s decision to block a trade deal between the European Union and the Mercosur group of southern American countries to pressure Brazil on Amazon forest fires…..
“France has been worried about the impact on its vast agriculture industry of South American imports that would not have to respect strict EU environmental regulations.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g7-su ... KKCN1VE0OD
Jon
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:49 pm REUTERS. August 24, 2019 / 8:32 PM /
Britain joins Germany in criticising Macron's Mercosur threat
William James, Michel Rose [Note last sentence!]
BIARRITZ, France (Reuters) - Britain joined Germany on Saturday in criticising French President Emmanuel Macron’s decision to block a trade deal between the European Union and the Mercosur group of southern American countries to pressure Brazil on Amazon forest fires…..
“France has been worried about the impact on its vast agriculture industry of South American imports that would not have to respect strict EU environmental regulations.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g7-su ... KKCN1VE0OD
Jon
Thanks for the info Jon, I'd not seen this in the papers I read. It certainly puts a different slant on Macrons actions.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Termites Dream wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am Whatever the motives of Macron, if the fires in the "lungs of the world" are tackled then that has to be positive.
I agree, it's a pity that politicians use tragedies to further their own ends ( IF that is the case here) However, the rainforest needs to be protected for all our sakes!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It gets worse. The Brazilian President has apparently endorsed a Facebook post insulting the appearance of Mrs. Macron.
( taken from todays Daily Mail)

Emmanuel Macron has blasted 'extraordinarily rude' Brazil leader Jair Bolsonaro for insulting his wife and appearing to criticise her looks as their feud over the Amazon fires got personal today.

Bolsonaro endorsed a sexist Facebook post about France's 66-year-old first lady Brigitte Macron yesterday, the latest chapter in an escalating war of words between him and his French counterpart.

French President Macron, 41, had called for emergency talks by G7 nations on the fires destroying chunks of the Amazon rainforest, piling pressure on Bolsonaro, who in turn accused him of having a 'colonialist mentality'.

A Bolsonaro supporter yesterday posted a meme mocking the appearance of Mrs Macron and compared her unfavourably with Brazil's 37-year-old first lady Michelle Bolsonaro.

It had the tagline: 'Now you understand why Macron is persecuting Bolsonaro?'

The far-right Brazilian leader, 64, replied: 'Do not humiliate the guy, ha ha,' referring to Mr Macron.

What a pity that people have to resort to such nastiness by insulting someones appearance. The preserve of the shameless and unintelligent imho.