The Backstop

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Earlsfield

Re: The Backstop

Post by Earlsfield »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:31 pm Well Earl, I do get it.... and as a Provence, it has a duty, more than London, to represent its populace.
The provinces, as they are actually mattered not as a total percentage, the referendum was based on individual votes, no duty to ”represent” the majority as such...we are “All Individuals” and voted as such. I know it hurts, that dammed majority.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Many UK citizens weren't allowed to vote but Commonwealth residents were which made the whole referendum a farce and afterall was only legally advisory but why let the truth rain on your parade.

Jim
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

As far as I am aware the only UK citizens not allowed to vote were those who had lived out of the country for 15 years or more. Now rightly or wrongly that is the law and also applies to general elections so it was not just for the referendum.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There were tens of thousands of postal votes not sent out, people working abroad not on the electoral register were not able to vote and the 15 year rule was to be scrapped in the Tory manifesto but was never introduced in parliament. If you were an Australian living in the UK you were allowed to vote but if you were British and living abroad and affected by Brexit you weren't allowed.
The referendum was totally different from a general election, there's no comparison; every one affected should have been allowed to vote.

Jim
Swerve

Post by Swerve »

Oh for goodness sake Jim if you are not on the electoral register how do you expect to be sent voting papers and I believe your tens of thousands is a gross exaggeration.
As the PM and Government at the time were pro remain do you not think they would have done all they could to ensure as many as possible of those likely to vote remain would have been able to.
And I cannot agree with your argument that general elections and referendums are so different as the Government of the day affects everyone too, in fact where would we all be should Jeremy Corbyn and his lot be in.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A figure of around 70,000 plus postal votes are reported to have gone missing , Google it.
Overseas Russians manage to vote without being on the electoral register, just go to the Consul or Embassy with their passports and are allowed to vote; is that beyond the capabilities of the British government?
Referendums are "Advisory" under British law wereas a General Election is a legally binding vote also a GE has to happen a maximum of every five years where a referendum is a once in a lifetime vote according to Leavers; totally different.
I'm not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn but I don't think there would be tax breaks for the Mega Rich and food banks for the poor. As I wrote in another post the Tories have doubled the national debt since they took over from Labour and that was with over ten years of austerity against those who could least afford it.

Jim