Crisis in UK Social Care

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Crisis in UK Social Care

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.carehomeprofessional.com/br ... 2019-08-21

BREAKING NEWS: Social care system on ‘verge of collapse’ says Commons’ report
BUSINESSFUNDINGLEGISLATIONRESEARCHby LEE PEART on AUGUST 21, 2019

A decade of funding cuts and uncertainty over the 2020/21 financial settlement has left the social care system on the verge of collapse, a Commons committee report has found.

The review of local government finance and 2019 spending review by the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee published today reveals a £5bn funding gap for local authorities.

Chair of the HCLG Committee, Clive Betts MP, said: “The battle to meet ever-increasing demand for social care has left few further sources of revenue to divert towards it and will now need a dedicated funding solution. The haphazard approach to broader funding has equally created an opaque source of revenue, partially funded by tax systems that don’t spread the burden equally.

------------------------------

I don't think any of us would disagree that social care is in crisis. Austerity on the local authorities has brought this about. Boris said on day 1, he'd sort and nothing since. It is absolutely shocking that we cannot care for the old, infirm, needy and mentally disturbed in our society.
Firefly

Re: Crisis in UK Social Care

Post by Firefly »

Nothing new, It's been in crisis for some time, so too the NHS. Government putting tax payers money in the wrong places.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

Firefly wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm Nothing new, It's been in crisis for some time, so too the NHS. Government putting tax payers money in the wrong places.
Correct nothing new and an issue neglected by successive governments, as stated in the article. Blaming the new PM is hardly constructive as is austerity, again the clue is in “successive governments”, the issue has been festering for decades. And as for Boris doing nothing, this was related to the same article.

https://www.carehomeprofessional.com/pr ... -hospices/

I am not for throwing more money at the problem is the answer and tend to agree with Firefly in regard to better use of existing funding. It is difficult to justify an increase in the Tax burden on the 52% (approximately) of the population that actually pay income tax, so where does the extra money come from. Perhaps Cyprus has the right idea, placing social care firmly on the family unit? Social responsibility rather than increasing dependence on the state.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Welcome to the forum Earlsfield. I would have fallen over when I read your last sentence, except I was sitting down!
More please!
Jon.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

There isn’t enough money for social care. People living longer with more conditions, in their own homes as no hospital places... it’s a new and growing issue and 100% austerity has made it much worse. The funding for the NHS is a separate issue.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am There isn’t enough money for social care. People living longer with more conditions, in their own homes as no hospital places... it’s a new and growing issue and 100% austerity has made it much worse. The funding for the NHS is a separate issue.
Without austerity, the country would be in a terrible state. People are living longer, simple as that. Add to that pension ages having to rise to cover it, and I know women aren't happy that they have to work longer, but its the same situation for men.
Earlsfield

Post by Earlsfield »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am There isn’t enough money for social care. People living longer with more conditions, in their own homes as no hospital places... it’s a new and growing issue and 100% austerity has made it much worse. The funding for the NHS is a separate issue.
There is isn’t there and I would be interested in your views as to where the extra would come from? It is certainly not a new issue, as born out by the article you posted. The NHS and social care are closely related, and it is probably sensible to keep funding discreet between the two, because I would suggest the NHS would just gobble it up.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2018/05/12-m ... care-work/

Again I would be interested in your views how Austerity could have been avoided, given the reckless spending of previous, especially Labour Governments. We as a country brought it on ourselves, collectively, at least someone has tried to sort it out.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Earlsfield wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:33 pm
There isn’t is there and I would be interested in your views as to where the extra would come from? It is certainly not a new issue, as born out by the article you posted. The NHS and social care are closely related, and it is probably sensible to keep funding discreet between the two, because I would suggest the NHS would just gobble it up.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2018/05/12-m ... care-work/

Again I would be interested in your views how Austerity could have been avoided, given the reckless spending of previous, especially Labour Governments. We as a country brought it on ourselves, collectively, at least someone has tried to sort it out.
Good to see you back ....

There is plenty of money - HS2 is £100bn+ into a scheme that isn't needed.

The department is the Department of Health & Care - but the only money coming from the NHS into social care is for "Reablement" - getting people out of a hospital bed and 6 or 8 weeks of social care assistance for it.

Austerity hit the poorest hardest. The rich got richer, as they do in those circumstances. Bankers not hit and tax cuts for the richest - go figure.

Keynesian Economics has been proved as the best way out of recession - but not taken by the Tories. Osborne promised to remove the deficit in. two terms and it increased1

The Tories since 2010 have increased the deficit and borrowing - so this old crap about labour leaving us in a mess! It was a world-wide recession, caused by US mortgages that UK banks took most of the hit on - yet no fines on the US.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim,so you're saying Labour didn't leave the country in a mess? It's the fault of the USA?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think we all know that they did leave the country in a mess, big time :x
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Reading the below link it appears that the UK National Debt has risen from £.095 trillion to £1.8 trillion after ten years of austerity so Labour may have left the country in a mess as Firefly stated but the Tories have compounded the problem by doubling it.
Public Sector borrowing was around 63% of GDP in 2010 but is now around 83% up to March this year.

Jim

https://fullfact.org/economy/public-debt/

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/ ... onal-debt/
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Termite, thoroughly enjoyable video, but don’t understand it’s links to Keynesian Economics....
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Very funny!