Cyprus Permanent Partition?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Cyprus Permanent Partition?

Post by Devil »

No need to speculate. It ain't going to happen!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

If there was partition, North Cyprus residents would lost EU benefits. Passports and more.

Borders would close for a time.

Trade would cease.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Followed by a referendum.
WHL

Post by WHL »

In forty five years of occupation not one of Turkeys friends has recognised the pseudo state , there's your answer... it will never happen.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Actually, other than recognition, it has in effect already happened. The North has been running it's own affairs (admittedly with financial support from Turkey) for over 40 years.
Don't forget, the North is within the EU. The difference is that the "aquis" had been suspended pending a solution. If partition is agreed (and that is a big "if" I admit) then that is a solution and the North resumes it's position as part of the EU. I suspect there would be a need to change a few things to meet EU standards etc, but that is achievable in a relatively short time.
So, with two EU states on the island, there would have to be free movement of goods, people and services between them. That is to say, no border and therefore no UN.

Sounds a bit like a loose federation, doesn't it.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A very interesting post, josef k. But why do you think that in the event of a permanent partition the north would become an independent EU state?
I thought that in the event that this really happened, it would simply become part of Mersin, Turkey. Something which the north doesn’t want..

Dee
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

josef k wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:39 pmDon't forget, the North is within the EU. The difference is that the "aquis" had been suspended pending a solution. If partition is agreed (and that is a big "if" I admit) then that is a solution and the North resumes it's position as part of the EU.
The Republic Of Cyprus is in the EU on behalf of the whole island - the north is not under the effective control of the ROC which is why the "aquis" has been suspended in that area. In the event of partition the north cannot resume a position it doesn't have I wouldn't imagine.

Cheers

Steve