What happened to the Boris posts

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: What happened to the Boris posts

Post by Jim B »

It's about a lot more than just Amazon; many people rely on medicines from the UK that are not available in Cyprus. There are many like me who import items that are not stocked by Amazon plus anyone bringing a car over will get hit with import duty no doubt, not cheap. The expected free fall of the Pound against the Euro in the event of a no deal Brexit will put paid to any surmised benefits of shopping with Amazon.de.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

If anyone thinks life here after brexit for expats , will be the same as now, are in for a big shock.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well apart from what Jim B has said above, what do you think the main differences will be..??
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 am Well apart from what Jim B has said above, what do you think the main differences will be..??
Being in the EU, expats have the right to settle here, work here, and all the rights Cypriots have, health care, etc etc etc, all that goes out of the window the minute the UK exits the EU.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 am Well apart from what Jim B has said above, what do you think the main differences will be..??
Presently there is no signed reciprocal medical agreement between EU countries and the UK, this is dependent on the conditions offered by the UK to the 3 million plus EU citizens residing in the UK.
Over the weekend Blojo decided there would be no special treatment for them to which Spain responded that the same position would apply to British living in Spain and they would not have access to medical treatment. There is every possibility in the case of a no deal Brexit that come November 1st those that use the Cyprus government medical facilities will not have medical cover.
All the information is available on line, as WHL posted some are in for a big shock..

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

So WHL after October will I not be able to live in the house I had built on the land I own ??
Will I not be able to make use of the Gesy system that I have just joined up with ??
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm So WHL after October will I not be able to live in the house I had built on the land I own ??
Will I not be able to make use of the Gesy system that I have just joined up with ??
You are already here Trev, no one knows yet, you might have to register every year etc, leaving with a no deal then anything is possible, newcomers will probably face the above problems, re living/working/heath issue.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm So WHL after October will I not be able to live in the house I had built on the land I own ??
Presently the GESY becomes void after 31st October unless an agreement is signed; there is NO agreement in place in the case of a No Deal Brexit
At the moment our right to own property in Cyprus is guaranteed under EU Law but after Brexit, who knows what will happen; unlike Brexiteers I've never been one to gamble with our home or the wellbeing of my family.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Stated on here before, that not only 'might' UK immigrants in Cyprus not be able to use the GESY System post-Brexit, they won't be able to go to the UK for free treatment. What will happen re property nobody knows? Unlikely to affect that, I'd say.