What happened to the Boris posts

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: What happened to the Boris posts

Post by Jimgward »

tonee wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:52 pm Wound up?Ha!The only thing what gets me "wound"up,is when my Keo is served warm.Ha.Lets wait and see.So,tell me Jimgward,who would you like to see Prime Minister?
To be honest, Tonee, I wouldn’t vote for Boris or Corbyn, in a million years. I’m fed up with the extremes of politics, with Corbyn hard left and Boris and Farage hard right. In theory the lib-dems could do well. However, I’d love to see a Social Democratic Party made up of moderates from the left of the tories and right of labour. I think many would echo that, to be honest. I like Anna Soudbery, (sp) for her courage in leaving when she did.

I see few politicians who are frontline enough to be PM candidates.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 am It reminds me of that song; Stuck in the Middle with that line, "Clowns to the left of me Jokers to the right.
Jim
Also don't forget the words to Julie Collins song "Send in the Clowns"
"But where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here"
tonee

Post by tonee »

Good sensible reply Jimgward and agree.The extreme left,if ever voted in to government would be a disaster.McDonnell has already stated that there would be a run on the pound if they were elected.For us out here,its the exchange rate which is the main concern.
tonee

Post by tonee »

So,what do you suggest should happen in your opinion?
tonee

Post by tonee »

And if there was a second referendum and the majority of people still vote for leave,,what then?Back to square one.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

tonee wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 pm And if there was a second referendum and the majority of people still vote for leave,,what then?Back to square one.
Then have another referendum, to see if they really, really, really want it. If they vote no again, repeat....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

tonee wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 pm And if there was a second referendum and the majority of people still vote for leave,,what then?Back to square one.
No, make this referendum, mandatory, rather than advisory. At least people will also know what they’re voting for and MPs would have to ratify it.

So, something like

Leave or Remain

If Leave, May’s deal or No deal.. only leavers get to choose route of leave, if they choose leave.

I’d be inclined to make it compulsory, but maybe a step too far.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim

As I posted in a link earlier, referendums hold no legal status in British Parliamentary Law and are only advisory.

The problem is if the UK leaves and then decides to rejoin it will then lose all the benefits it's gained after forty years of membership like rebates and a seat at the top table for instance. It will have to join the Schengen and the Euro zone as required by all new members, all to push through a referendum that was only advisory.

Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

What i would like to see happen is, when a MP decides to change their party allegiance, for example they have been voted by their local electorate to be Conservative MP for Snottyland that if they decide to jump ship and become an Independent or worst case a Labour MP that they lose their seat in the House and a By-Election is called, so that the constituency votes again to be represented by the colour of the MPS political persuasion. Not as happens at present where they jump ship yet still keep their seat in the house and all the financial benefits that has.
Sod another referendum we had one which the country should stand by.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 pm Jim

As I posted in a link earlier, referendums hold no legal status in British Parliamentary Law and are only advisory.

The problem is if the UK leaves and then decides to rejoin it will then lose all the benefits it's gained after forty years of membership like rebates and a seat at the top table for instance. It will have to join the Schengen and the Euro zone as required by all new members, all to push through a referendum that was only advisory.

Jim
Not true. Eu has stated uk can remain/rejoin at same status
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 pm Jim

Jim
Not true. Eu has stated uk can remain/rejoin at same status
Well Jim W
I've read to the contrary.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, Boris has now refused to pass a law to guarantee EU citizens’ rights in the U.K. as a result, other countries, like Spain, has already said it won’t guarantee rights either. A clusterf*** of a first decision on this.

‘Boris Johnson faces Tory backlash after new government says no plan for law to guarantee EU citizens’ rights after Brexit‘

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 23746.html

‘ Mr Costa said that protecting the rights of EU nationals was also crucial in forcing European states to guarantee the rights UK citizens living in EU countries. Failure to do so would mean the UK was “abrogating its responsibility to 1.3 million British citizens who rely on those treaty rights in order to subsist, to work, to live, to retire, to access healthcare, to get pension entitlements, to get benefits”.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:00 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:53 am
bromerzz wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:43 pmSod another referendum we had one which the country should stand by.

In that case Brexiteers have no cause to complain about a weak pound affecting reduced pensions here, nor any of the other mal-effects which will arise in the event of a no-deal. For instance, all purchases from Amazon, John Lewis, Argos or anywhere else in the UK will be subject to Customs control and inspection, with Import Duty and VAT payable on most imports from the UK; having to stand in the non-EU queue at airports, plus many other painful encumbrances too numerous to mention.

So keep your fingers - and everything else - crossed that there isn't a No Deal.

And as for a deal with Trump...best of luck with that one. He's now fallen out with Sweden because they wouldn't let an American rap singer off the hook.

None so short-sighted as Brexiteers, who seem completely unable to see the wood for the trees.

Long live the British empire and it's colonies :lol:
I also wonder if the Brexiteers that live here would almost certainly not be doing so we're it not for the eu
Wonder no more. Many British people moved here before Cyprus joined the EU.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Settled here before Cyprus joined the EU and don't recollect complaining about the effects of Brexit to date. Lucky enough to be in a position not to let any possible side effects bother me. Not really interested in the impact of online purchasing on my life. If I want something from Amazon then I buy from Amazon.de the "system" charges the same price for all.
Airport queues not an issue worth arguing over as the UK will no doubt go titfortat.
I like the woods and the trees except when my golf ball ends up there.

Rock on Boris.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:27 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:53 am

In that case Brexiteers have no cause to complain about a weak pound affecting reduced pensions here, nor any of the other mal-effects which will arise in the event of a no-deal. For instance, all purchases from Amazon, John Lewis, Argos or anywhere else in the UK will be subject to Customs control and inspection, with Import Duty and VAT payable on most imports from the UK; having to stand in the non-EU queue at airports, plus many other painful encumbrances too numerous to mention.

So keep your fingers - and everything else - crossed that there isn't a No Deal.

And as for a deal with Trump...best of luck with that one. He's now fallen out with Sweden because they wouldn't let an American rap singer off the hook.

None so short-sighted as Brexiteers, who seem completely unable to see the wood for the trees.

Long live the British empire and it's colonies :lol:
I also wonder if the Brexiteers that live here would almost certainly not be doing so we're it not for the eu
Alan
But many more came here after Cyprus joined and the criteria is very different and much easier than it was prior to joining.
The British who arrive after Brexit will be classed as Third Country Nationals and have to apply for an MU2 which is a totally different ball game from an MU1 or an MU3; been there, got the Tee Shirt which cost us a lot of time and a lot of money.
Many believe it will go back to the way things were but Cyprus is now part of the EU and will have to abide with the Democratic wishes of the members.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Alan
But many more came here after Cyprus joined and the criteria is very different and much easier than it was prior to joining.
The British who arrive after Brexit will be classed as Third Country Nationals and have to apply for an MU2 which is a totally different ball game from an MU1 or an MU3; been there, got the Tee Shirt which cost us a lot of time and a lot of money.
Many believe it will go back to the way things were but Cyprus is now part of the EU and will have to abide with the Democratic wishes of the members.

Jim
They did jim, and will continue to do so, however the poster asked a different question.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Yes if I recall correctly we had to have Council of Ministers approval to purchase our house and that took about 2 or 3 weeks only. Just did the old Alien registration and got the brown book with the famous "pink slip" receipt. Eventually the system said we needed to apply for MEU1 which was easy enough and to date haven't felt the need to go down the MEU 3 route.
IF - Cyprus and the EU become difficult about residency then it might just force a few more people to move over to the north.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Bromerzz
As I said, British will have to apply for an MU2 which is for Third Country Nationals; nothing like the old system and much more difficult to obtain.

Les

That's what I was saying in my earlier post that the EU gave many people the opportunity to come to live and work here; an opportunity previously restricted to people who were either wealthy or sponsored for specific jobs.

Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I am so happy for you that you have had a different experience. I will continue with Amazon.de which has always covered the items i need.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There is definitely a price difference between .de and .co.uk versions of Amazon. It is by no means a one-way street though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.