God help the UK!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: God help the UK!

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:58 pm Well done BoJo. A politician with a BACKBONE. Let us wait and see. I believe that he will sort out the UK and get it back to what it used to be and should be.
Lincoln

It appears you have a very low success threshhold.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I can remember the UK of Pre common market and it wasn’t good for the majority of us. So back to what? It has been bad since the tories came in. Austerity for the masses and not the few. Now, Boris wants to cut taxes for the wealthy and yet we have food kitchens, more child poverty since the 60’s and more living below the European poverty level. Boris won’t alter that.
Last edited by Jimgward on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It should be interesting to watch but I really don't hold out much hope of anything good coming out of this - if he actually sticks to what he said he would do during his speech yesterday when the results were announced. He doesn't have a great track record of doing what he says.... what's his track record: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48663963
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

I watched his first speech on BBC news last week and I felt that Bojo did extremely well, put Corbyn well and truly in his place and McDonald was so incensed he almost walked out but thought better of it. What struck me was the Tory benches looked energised. I liked May and have often said she was presented with a poison chalice re Brexit and although I liked her as PM she did finally make a complete hash of it especially agreeing to the Backstop.

Bojo may be a buffoon but he was the guest at a private garden party in my village a couple weeks ago and friends who were there said he was a really a likeable person, extremely knowledgeable and made the effort to speak to everyone in attendance. He has been elected PM and has come out all guns blazing, surrounded himself with a good cabinet of people who want to honour the referendum and are highly experienced politicians and I hope that he continues in the same vain as from what I have seen from him to date. Roll on PMQ's should be interesting especially with Corbyn and McDonald
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I don't dislike Boris. I don't respect him and see him as an awful PM. He is saying what people want to hear and offering to spend like there is no tomorrow.... (maybe there isn't ö )

He has firmly led the government into a no-deal scenario - which he cannot possibly pass through parliament. What is the point? He will end up with a vote of no confidence and a general election with us still in the EU and nobody knowing what will happen.
living the dream

My personal gut feeling is that he will go for a snap election, with labour doing a U turn (6m voters gone for sure) and the Brexit Party already talking to Bojo and his aides etc I suspect it would be enough for Bojo to take the gamble and go for the general election in order to get a majority in the government with many Brexit MPs to back them up to make the number stack up when voting on whatever happens next.

He already knows TM withdrawal agreement is a dead duck so its the choice of a renewed deal (unlikely according to EU) or prepare for a no deal and go for the snap election. Whatever, we are in for some serious brinksmanship over the next 3 months and as I said in another thread the US sitting on the fence with potentially a trade deal to equal or excel the current UK EU trade may focus attentions significantly to try to thrash out a deal.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

living the dream wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:10 pm I watched his first speech on BBC news last week and I felt that Bojo did extremely well, put Corbyn well and truly in his place and McDonald was so incensed he almost walked out but thought better of it. What struck me was the Tory benches looked energised. I liked May and have often said she was presented with a poison chalice re Brexit and although I liked her as PM she did finally make a complete hash of it especially agreeing to the Backstop.

Bojo may be a buffoon but he was the guest at a private garden party in my village a couple weeks ago and friends who were there said he was a really a likeable person, extremely knowledgeable and made the effort to speak to everyone in attendance. He has been elected PM and has come out all guns blazing, surrounded himself with a good cabinet of people who want to honour the referendum and are highly experienced politicians and I hope that he continues in the same vain as from what I have seen from him to date. Roll on PMQ's should be interesting especially with Corbyn and McDonald
Max Hastings opinion of Boris Johnson and he's not alone.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-britain
living the dream

A good piece - many would say that the way it is written is by a man with an axe to grind. For all his short comings the conservative members voted him in so as they same time will tell. I am certainly not going to judge a man by how many women he has bedded or people he may have upset, I think the only way I can judge him is by his leadership, he has got to where he undoubtedly wanted to be and had his sights set on No 10 for some time. Given the adverse criticism and the many who have had the knives out for him it does say something when against what seemed to be insurmountable odds he has risen to become the leader of the UK despite his fiercest critics and opponents best efforts to stop him by whatever means.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I could post dozens of similar comments spoken or written about him but believe his previous record of being sacked for lying, fraudulent expense claims and conspiring to assist Darius Guppy in the assault of a journalist speaks volumes to the type of person he really is.
I'm not sure if the industry you work in condones that sort of behaviour but I know where I worked we would be immediately dismissed and reported to the authorities. There's no way we would be promoted, that's for sure.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

living the dream wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:53 pm A good piece - many would say that the way it is written is by a man with an axe to grind. For all his short comings the conservative members voted him in so as they same time will tell. I am certainly not going to judge a man by how many women he has bedded or people he may have upset, I think the only way I can judge him is by his leadership, he has got to where he undoubtedly wanted to be and had his sights set on No 10 for some time. Given the adverse criticism and the many who have had the knives out for him it does say something when against what seemed to be insurmountable odds he has risen to become the leader of the UK despite his fiercest critics and opponents best efforts to stop him by whatever means.
A bit like Trump then? I am positive history will not look kindly on either of them. Perhaps the shortest reign of any PM? Or the last UK PM? ;)