Light at the end of Boris' dark tunnel?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Light at the end of Boris' dark tunnel?

Post by Jim B »

Alan
I apologise, I misunderstood the line about more seats than any other party, I was referring to a majority of seats in parliament.

Jim

PS I just edited missed to misunderstood.
Last edited by Jim B on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Boris is filibustering about a no-deal and 31st October, knowing he cannot deliver either. He is hoping the EU offer a changed deal that he can put to a vote. It’s his only way out. If the EU don’t concede he will have to call a general election as he has zero chance to get a no-deal passed and if he attempts proroguing parliament he will be kicked out.
Last edited by Jimgward on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

noun: blackmail
the action, treated as a criminal offence, of demanding payment or another benefit from someone in return for not revealing compromising or damaging information about them.
"they were acquitted of charges of blackmail"
synonyms: noun
extortion, demanding money with menaces, exaction, intimidation; More
protection racket, bribery;
wringing, milking, bleeding, bloodsucking;
informal hush money;

So what has he got on them Lloyd?
Jon.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:29 pm noun: blackmail
the action, treated as a criminal offence, of demanding payment or another benefit from someone in return for not revealing compromising or damaging information about them.
"they were acquitted of charges of blackmail"
synonyms: noun
extortion, demanding money with menaces, exaction, intimidation; More
protection racket, bribery;
wringing, milking, bleeding, bloodsucking;
informal hush money;

So what has he got on them Lloyd?
Jon.
Morning Jon
I've come to realise being pedantic is the name of the game and Brexiters love nothing better than to be pedantic when they have no other argument.
You know as well as I do the word should have been either "bully" or "threaten" rather than "blackmail" so rather than put up a counter point you jump on the use of words; come on you can do better than that.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Good Morning Jim,

Like you I can’t abide pedantry and tedious repetitive non-arguments.
However, I was at a loss in this instance to understand, having been told repeatedly that the UK was/is in a very weak position, and that the EU held most, if not all the cards.
Thank you for telling me what Lloyd meant- if nothing else, makes a pleasant change for the “bullying” to be going the other way!

I don't wish to bore you and other forum members, so I'll leave it there for now.
Jon.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jon
Over many years I attended meetings with Contractors and Sub-Contractors and very often they attempted to cut corners or tried to insist or force us as the PMG to give into their demands; we just stated our contractual position and their obligations under the contract; no threats, bullying or blackmail, just held our legal position, just as the EU is doing. You appear to believe that because the EU won't compromise and give into the UK demands they are the bully's; strange logic?

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s now at the stage that Boris is out only for Boris 1st, Tory party second, Engand third and UK fourth. That’s exactly how it is. He knows if he isnt careful and leaves it too long, Labout might replace Corbyn with Keir Stammer - emminently electable. I think he will call an election sooner rather than later. Excuse will be, bad EU won’t budge. I heard yesterday that in negotiations with the EU, they tried everything to be coridal and fair, but people like Dominic Raab, were rude, aggressive and essentially not open for proper discussion on terms. David never wanted a deal and did everything he could to avoid one. We are now in a position where the backstop is being used as an excuse to not do a deal. The backstop is protection of the Irish open border and is an intermim measure allowing time for something to happen. Boris claims there are technological means to ensure an open border, but no details of them, no companies speaking about them, no solutions like this being used in any other countries. A technical solution would require a massive network of cameras and sensors. Every lorry or van would need to register any movement online on a system that doesnt exist. There would need to be spot-checks of goods and a means to pay tarrifs on any goods being moved. That is a massive IT system coting billions. It would take probably 3 years to create and at least a couple of years to test. Yet Boris claims it is there!

When a leader lies, it causing problems for everyone - look at trump. It is estimated he has lied over 5,500 times since he came to power. Boris is trying hard to emulate! He has already promised over £100bn of money for projects, that he doesn’t have. That tells me he doesnt care, or he knows he wont be there long enough for it to matter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Times today has an article, that states that Boris’s largest backer, has £300m bet on Britain’s largest firms values plummeting post-brexit.... and some think this is all a simple leave Eu or stay decision of the people - democracy! Aye, sure!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I wonder who took the bet !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm The Times today has an article, that states that Boris’s largest backer, has £300m bet on Britain’s largest firms values plummeting post-brexit.... and some think this is all a simple leave Eu or stay decision of the people - democracy! Aye, sure!
Yes it’s democracy which is why people like you are allowed to vote. You are of course free to stand for election and try to change what you don’t like. Again, the joys of democracy.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:47 pm I wonder who took the bet !
It isn’t like that. He runs a hedge fund and ‘shorts’ currencies and stock. No bookies involved. Strangely legal. Morally corrupt.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:58 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm The Times today has an article, that states that Boris’s largest backer, has £300m bet on Britain’s largest firms values plummeting post-brexit.... and some think this is all a simple leave Eu or stay decision of the people - democracy! Aye, sure!
Yes it’s democracy which is why people like you are allowed to vote. You are of course free to stand for election and try to change what you don’t like. Again, the joys of democracy.
As is the right to oppose stupid decisions, just like Farage (the fascist and racist) pledged to if leave lost. Goose-gander.

As to democracy, it’s not a one-way, one-decision street - however much you'd like it to be - that’s more a dictatorship
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm
As is the right to oppose stupid decisions, just like Farage (the fascist and racist) pledged to if leave lost. Goose-gander.

As to democracy, it’s not a one-way, one-decision street - however much you'd like it to be - that’s more a dictatorship
Where have I ever said I want democracy to be a one way street?
Basically you’re the person who finds a problem for every solution.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As a Remainer, I’m advocating a solution for the biggest problem the UK has faced since WW2
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Russia claims it's a democratic country even though it imprisons opposition leaders, stifles descent, usès propaganda.bribery and threatens and even murders the opposition and journalists who dare to question the government; does it sound familar. Im not suggesting everything has happened like that in the UK yet but that's the slippery slope we're on.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 am
Russia claims it's a democratic country even though it imprisons opposition leaders, stifles descent, usès propaganda.bribery and threatens and even murders the opposition and journalists who dare to question the government; does it sound familar. Im not suggesting everything has happened like that in the UK yet but that's the slippery slope we're on.

Jim
Does that happen in Britain?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 am
Who is he?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's that Tim Walker, apparently !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 pm
Jim B wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 am

Jim
Does that happen in Britain?
Yes, some of has already happened.

Joe Cox MP. Murdered. Other MP's supporting Remain have received death threats.
Carol Cadwalldr. Journalist who broke the Cambridge Analytics story has been receiving death threats from many Brexit supporters.
Bribery. DUP paid 1 billion pounds to support a minority government
Propaganda. Cambridge Analytica, Telegraph; Mail, Express, etc. Farage given more TV airtime than any other polititian even though he is not an MP.
Limited coverage of Remain activities; as an example, no mention of 20th July Remain March on any of the main news channels.
So basically most of what happens in Russia is now happening in the UK.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

News blackouts are nothing new, we aren't so stupid surely, as to believe that everything that happens here is made public. Nothing to do with Russia, more project fear !

Idiots will always make death threats, it what simple minds do, nothing new there. Bribery and corruption ? No, not new either.