Light at the end of Boris' dark tunnel?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Light at the end of Boris' dark tunnel?

Post by Jimgward »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm Well done BoJo you are doing exactly as you said you would. Huge recruiting programme for the police. Letting people know of other ways to keep an open border and the Pound against the Euro is now much more stable at 1.12
I presume you are being sarcastic?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Jimgward wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:37 pm
Lincoln wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm Well done BoJo you are doing exactly as you said you would. Huge recruiting programme for the police. Letting people know of other ways to keep an open border and the Pound against the Euro is now much more stable at 1.12
I presume you are being sarcastic?
No but you are.
All things are possible
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, it’s estimated that Boris has promised over £100bn so far in spending. The BoE has arranged borrowing in the coming years, of £70bn. We owe the EU £33bn, they estimate £30bn is needed for a no-deal brexit, so Boris has already put the deficit even further into the red (remember, the one the tories promised to eradicate) so the UK could now pay higher interest on all borrowing as a result.... then again, Boris is promising the earth and delivering hee-haw - much like he has done with all his women-friends/wife’s/mistresses/girlfriends/fiancées
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Sajid Javid is a smart cookie and obviously thinks he can generate the money somewhere to fund various proposals so far put forward by Bojo. He seems to be trying to take the bull by the horns and fight for either a better deal or will try to go for a no deal which I suspect will require a snap general election whereupon deals in the background with the Brexit party no doubt will have been discussed. Staying in at this juncture is not an option, we had the referendum and we voted to come out - we can't be having best of 3 or 5 or 7 till either side get what they want so we honour the referendum.

With Corbyn doing almost a complete U Turn a general election could be in the offing and god help the UK if Labour get back in - lets not forget they almost bankrupted the UK in the last spell in office and easy to blame Tories for austerity but it was labour and their flagrant disregard of financial control that put the country into a financial disaster.

On another note the EU - UK Trade amounts to £315 Billion for 2018 and the US - UK Trade was just over a £100 Billion and good ole Trump is reporting that once Brexit is dealt with and the UK is free to negotiate its own trade deals then the UK - US figure could increase by up to 5 times the current amount of trade. All the talk of trade deals taking up to 20 years is based on the current EU having to get 28 member states to unilaterally agree, the UK will not have that problem as any future EU - UK trade deal I suspect (and no doubt be told otherwise) will be based on a "similar" footing as it is now. Lets face it does the EU want to lose one of its largest export markets - I very much doubt it given the UK imports far more than it Exports and with Trump throwing a possible very large deal on the table then the EU will be more inclined to try to wrap things up in a satisfactory manor that is beneficial to both the EU and the UK as I doubt very much the EU will want to lose a major market.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Gulp!

Didn't stabilise long, did it? Against a background of the EU heading into a recession, the UK is viewed as more of a risk than them. It is now nearly 1.09 in interbank and dropping nearly 1% today alone....
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This morning I used Transferwise to send money to Cyprus and received an exchange rate of €1.089 to the Pound. Transferwise usually provide one of the better exchange rates so it would be interesting to know what the local ATM rates are.
I'm not a financial wizard like some on here but I'm sure this will have a detrimental affect on imports and considering the UK has few natural resource and has to import most of them this will in turn affect the price of UK exports. Of course the way to get round this is to lower wages and take away workers rights which are presently guaranteed by the EU and it just happens that blojo's government has now decided that they will not promise to keep these rights after Brexit.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Falling again this morning... the only way is down! Expected announcements this week by BoE are expected to cause it to drop further.
JimX

Post by JimX »

They are going to issue all of us expats with begging bowls and maybe a soup kitchen, this is all absolute self inflicted madness and we are being run by a Trump lookalike, at lease they like each other .
Jim.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

No Lloyd, we neither want you, nor expect you, to get behind us.
What we’d like you to do, old friend, is to go away and live in Brussels. And sink with them into their corrupt swamp.
After over 4000 monotonous Lord Haw-Haw rants, I for one am tired of your repetitive posts.
Jon
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why should he move to Brussels? Cyprus is in the EU.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Good point Dominic, perhaps I was a little harsh. What say St.George's Island? Oh- there's no wi-fi ......
Jon.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

kingfisher wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:59 am Good point Dominic, perhaps I was a little harsh. What say St.George's Island? Oh- there's no wi-fi ......
Jon.
:lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:06 am No Lloyd, we neither want you, nor expect you, to get behind us.
What we’d like you to do, old friend, is to go away and live in Brussels. And sink with them into their corrupt swamp.
After over 4000 monotonous Lord Haw-Haw rants, I for one am tired of your repetitive posts.
Jon
Is the truth finally beginning to sink in then Jon and you don't like hearing it?
If you despise the EU so much the same question could be asked of why are you quite happy to stay and sink in our corrupt swamp don't you think?
If you want lessons in corruption you don't have to go any further than your beloved Conservative Party and No I wouldn't suggest any of the other parties are any better but they're not as blatantly open about it.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

For those who think Europe is doing well this is quite sobering news. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ates/rowth in the ailing eurozone halved in the second quarter as the global industrial downturn brought Germany and Italy’s economies to a standstill.

The case for more stimulus from the European Central Bank was bolstered by GDP rising by just 0.2pc, down from 0.4pc in the first quarter, a flash estimate indicated.

After a tentative rebound at the start of 2019, growth pulled back to its joint-lowest level in five years as stagnant inflation increases the pressure on the central bank to act. CPI slipped to 1.1pc, a 17-month low, but unemployment fell to a fresh 11-year low of 7.5pc.

Germany and Italy’s industrial economies led the slowdown in the three months to June but disappointing growth figures from France and Spain indicated that the weakness is spreading.

The eurozone is “expanding at a slow cruising speed” and cooling inflation will give the ECB more “ammunition to act in the autumn”, said ING economist Bert Colijn.

He added: “For the European Central Bank, the question is not whether to stimulate the economy more, but by how much it will do so in September.”

The central bank signalled that it is poised to cut interest rates on Thursday and reboot its quantitative easing programme if the currency bloc’s economy continues to flounder.

Italy avoided a third quarter of contraction of the last 12 months but GDP flatlined. France and Spain saw growth dip, while German GDP figures out next month are expected to show that its economy stagnated or contracted in the second quarter.

Despite the slowdown, Oxford Economics said the odds of a recession in the eurozone were low.

“Absent any idiosyncratic shocks, such as a severe trade war escalation, the ECB’s likely loosening of monetary policy should keep recession odds contained,” its economist Moritz Degler added.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The EU will be badly affected by brexit. It’s why they want a negotiated deal. Some elements in the U.K. never have wanted one. Like Rees-Mogg, Farage, Javid, Boris - all who have specific interest in disaster finance. Austerity in the extreme benefits the rich who bet on super rich only get richer while everyone else suffers. The everyone else’s are the blind sheep who vote them into power and continue to support them.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Good Afternoon Jim B,
I believe in the truth, which is why I voted leave in the first place.
As of now, I choose to live in Cyprus because it is a token member of the EU. It has made a fine art of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. All credit- it signs up to all the stupid EU directives with little or no further regard. Above all, though, it proudly maintains its nationality, culture, religion and traditions. Now this flies in the face of the federalist, globalist cultural Marxist trajectory of the “Project”- but there’s bugger- all the EU can do about that! And I don’t see Cyprus going soft like the UK, and several other northern European countries, any time soon. Lovely place. Actually, I love Europe- just can’t stand the EU!

Before recanting, I suggested Lloyd be exiled to Brussels because I felt he would enjoy it there. He could spend all day collecting autographs of his heroes and heroines. And visiting all those lovely globalist multinationals huddled around the Commission like vultures.

And I’m not a Conservative. The Conservatives are mostly cultural Marxists or liberals.
End of rant!
Jon.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Afternoon Jon

As I see it you are blaming the EU for the failures of the UK. My wife is from one of the old Soviet States and one of the things she loves most is the freedom of the EU where you can travel, work, live and study anywhere you want. She wasn't allowed to travel outside her Oblast (District) without special permission and she would laugh at you if she heard you referring to the EU or the UK as Marxist States. I worked there for many years myself and to my mind find you have little idea of how a Marxist State operates.
Maybe you dont like all the benefits the EU ha given to the workers and the ordinary people; most of those directives you dispise so much actually benefit the masses and the UK government agreed to over 95% of them.
I don't know if you were in Cyprus prior to the EU membership but certain aspects of life were made much easier after accession and later when Cyprus was forced to tow the line, as example cars brought from other EU countries.
I worked on several massive projects funded by the EU and yes I know it was our money but it was directed where it was desperately needed and not to the South East where most of the money goes and that's not envy, it's true. You only have to look at the major projects being funded by the UK government (Crossrail, HS2, Heathrow expansion) to understand where I'm coming from.
I know I won't convince you, I don't think the EU is as corrupt as you believe but even if they were we are all benefiting under the system wereas under the austerity of the Tory Party many people are suffering untold hardships.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Hello Jim- just a quick response- You don’t have to convince me- I agree with 75% of what you wrote. However, I do firmly believe that the aspiration of much of the EU nomenclature is toward a federal, globalist and culturally Marxist outcome. [Not necessarily economic Marxism]
My point was that this by and large has yet to be realized in practice, and the UK needs to be well clear of it. The educational system, particularly higher education is heavily influenced by EU money and indoctrination to that end, and is in terrible shape as a result. [as is the political system which is stuffed full of products of the same system].
Cyprus is a good example of where lip service is paid to the EU “ideals” as long as the perks outweigh- [I’m aware Cyprus is marginally a net contributor, when I last looked]. Making Cyprus a particularly attractive abode.
Jon.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jon
Of course their are politicians in the EU with diverse views just as there are ultra left and right wing politicians in the UK politicians in the British parliament but that's not to say they'll get what they want
A federal EU will only happen if every country agrees, the same as a European Army so to suggest that we are being led into that position is just not the case.
It's been proven that the conditions that were supposedly in the Lisbon Treaty were basically untrue and part of the Leave Groups Project Fear that many Leavers believe.
The UK would only end up in the position you suggest if it allowed itself to be and I personally cannot see that happening.
As for education, I think you read too much into the opportunities available. Yes the do fund education but as far as I'm aware they do not dictate curriculum. Our daughter (although British) was sponsored as an EU Student and took her degree at Lancaster and Masters at Edinburgh; no indoctrination as far I know, just opportunities to further her education funded by the EU. These are now being withdrawn from UK students which if the EU was so keen to indoctrinate our kids they would still make them available don't you think?

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jon
Of course their are politicians in the EU with diverse views just as there are ultra left and right wing politicians in the UK politicians in the British parliament but that's not to say they'll get what they want
A federal EU will only happen if every country agrees, the same as a European Army so to suggest that we are being led into that position is just not the case.
It's been proven that the conditions that were supposedly in the Lisbon Treaty were basically untrue and part of the Leave Groups Project Fear that many Leavers believe.
The UK would only end up in the position you suggest if it allowed itself to be and I personally cannot see that happening.
As for education, I think you read too much into the opportunities available. Yes the do fund education but as far as I'm aware they do not dictate curriculum. Our daughter (although British) was sponsored as an EU Student and took her degree at Lancaster and Masters at Edinburgh; no indoctrination as far I know, just opportunities to further her education funded by the EU. These are now being withdrawn from UK students which if the EU was so keen to indoctrinate our kids they would still make them available don't you think?

Jim