Playing the Race Card

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Playing the Race Card

Post by Dominic »

A UK Green MEP was asked to leave the EU parliament on his first day, because he was mistaken for a tourist.

He was wearing a T Shirt and a baseball cap. He was also black.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-48840428

He added: "I make people feel uncomfortable, people don't know how to react."

In a tweet, he said: "I know I'm visibly different. I don't have the privilege to hide my identity. I'm BLACK & my name is Magid.

"I don't intend to try fit in. Get used to it!"

First of all, his name is completely irrelevent. Nobody would see it anyway. Secondly, somebody thought he was a tourist because he looked like a tourist, not because he was black.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Re: Playing the Race Card

Post by Firefly »

Condemned by his own words I think.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

It is usually a rare occasion that I agree with HIC but I agree entirely with HIC sentiments on this occasion. If I was to turn up dressed in some gangsta style baggy jeans round my knees, a hoodie, pair of obnoxious trainers an unkempt beard and dark sunglasses I am pretty sure my employers would 1) not let me near an aircraft, 2) have me drug & alcohol tested, 3) fine me, 4) given me a verbal warning. I was always taught you dress accordingly for work unless you are required to wear a uniform.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

POLITICO.EU Magid Magid
“What’s disappointed me in my first two weeks in Brussels”
A freshman MEP from the British Green Party on what’s wrong with the EU capital.
By Magid Magid
7/12/19, 4:02 AM CET
“In my first two weeks as a member of the European Parliament, I've stumbled into a baffling realization.
Next to nobody in Brussels has any clue what the European Union truly stands for — beyond a flag and an anthem — and more crucially, where it is heading. And that includes the EU leaders and senior officials soullessly waddling through the corridors of power.
When I arrived in the EU capital, I expected to find it brimming with activity and potential answers to these questions.
Instead, I felt duped: Making a tangible impact on constituents’ lives is apparently not what being an MEP is all about. (Oh, and Belgian hot chocolate is a distinct disappointment.)
When I look at my daily to-do list, I feel as though I’ve left the shores of the real life and stepped into a maze of bureaucracy, needless technicalities and political performance”.
https://www.politico.eu/article/magid-m ... -brussels/