20 Years - that's how long it can take to make trade deals

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: 20 Years - that's how long it can take to make trade deals

Post by Dominic »

Given that he is no longer on the forum it is unfair to refer to him in comments.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

No country, has tried to extricate itself from a trading block, as that would be viewed as foolish to the extent of shooting yourself in the foot, leg, hand and arm. Every country is trying to improve trading capability and remaining part of the trading block is an absolute must for the U.K.

If we go through no-deal, expect massive price rises. Expect Scotland to gain independence within a year and stay in the EU, attracting loads of businesses from London, who would then find a capability of residing in the EU and a U.K. trading block. Scotland would also be the primary avenue for EU goods to be resold, with margin, to RotUK.

English nationalism would have achieved its aim of ‘bringing back control” - of what, I don’t know, but would suffer as a result.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Give it rest HiC not everyone is as wonderful as you. They have a right to their opinion.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 am Yet die-hard Brexiteers would have you believe that in the event of a No Deal, deals could be put together in the blink of an eye and that economies worldwide will be falling over themselves to do trade deals with the UK.
Correct me if I´m wrong but as I understand from this interview in contrast to what Boris Johnson said GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) will not even automatically apply to the UK in such a case:

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It took them 20 years? Wow, luckily it is all tax payer funded, as a regular business would have long since gone bankrupt with those kind of people working for them. Quite embarrassing actually.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Why are you reminded of cockney rhyming slang, presumably because that's the way your mind works. :roll:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am In last night's debate Johnson not only reminded us of Peter Sellers' "Party Political Speech", but also what a coward he is in failing to criticise Trump for his despicable tirade against the Ambassador and Theresa May, and refusing to give a yes or no as to whether he would replace the Ambassador
The sad thing is, The UKs population is close on to sixty million, and these two are the best they can come up with?.