18 June PM debate: 5 'candidates'

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

18 June PM debate: 5 'candidates'

Post by Devil »

What a farce! Not a single candidate showed PM potential.

Boris Johnson: contributed absolutely nothing germane to the subjects. He waffled around some peripheral thoughts, such as how he helped a citizen into an Irani jail; she is now on hunger strike. He also stressed his grandad was Muslim, so that makes him racially liberal, not that the UK in the early 20th c. was in any way relevant. 0/10

Jeremy Hunt: full of good words, sounding convincing, until you thought over what he said, especially on 'no-deal. However, he came over well. 4/10

Michael Gove: the self-appointed saviour of Brexit, knowing everything about everything. A man of little wingspan full of his own importance, blowing in the wind of opinion. 1/10

Sajid Javid: Didn't say a great deal of importance other than his disapproval of extending beyond the 31 October deadline. Made a few noises about law and order. 3/10

Rory Stewart: I felt some pity for him, but he was obviously very uncomfortable in the debate. Every time he tried to say something, at least two others ganged up to overspeak him. When he finally got a word in edgewise, it was usually thought out but he didn't say how he would deal with Brexit à la Theresa May. 4/10

No winner, all losers, by my opinion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: 18 June PM debate: 5 'candidates'

Post by Dominic »

I think the format is the problem. This is too much like a reality game show. The UK is too obsessed with the media (to quote Stewart Lee) and are quite happy being spoon-fed warm diarrhoea.

But you get the politicians you deserve. Having seen the response of that last Yougov pol showing what members (as opposed to voters) of the conservative party actually think like, I just despair of the lot of them.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The lady moderator of the debate was poor, she allowed several of the candidates to talk over each other many times so that you couldn't get a real grip on what the individuals' stance was on the various topics.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It was a terrible show - a waste of an hour of my life. The moderator, as Varky says, was terrible. No control. Needed a far firmer hand and the pre-set questions made it too easy for them all.

None of them are PM material and at Least Ian Blackford of the SNP had the cahones to call out Boris as racist and with a record of dishonesty that stokes division.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Rory out now. Too bad. I liked him best by far.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Agree wholeheartedly with Varky and Jimgward's comments about the presenter (Emily Maitlis) of the debate - very poor, had no control, couldn't be heard and just wasn't forceful enough. She had all the killer questions but got rode roughshod when she asked them....
The Channel 4 presenter on the first debate was much better.

I feel sorry for Rory and it's clear to see the others have had a tactical vote against him after the vote today. He's the only one who said no tax cuts at all while the others, especially Boris are offering the earth in order to gain votes from the shareholders when it comes to the final push.

Gove won't be in the final two - he's Borises nemesis after the PM shambles at the beginning of all this 3 years ago.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

So, now we have three stooges vying for the poisoned chalice. Who the hell, in their right mind, would want the job?