Can things get worse?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: Can things get worse?

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I respect your views, but I well remember the unions trying to bring this country to it's knees, the closure of their places of work was the result. Arthur Scargill did quite well for himself, unlike the miners that he used. The trouble with strikes for more pay is that in the end, the cost of the product increases to finance the wage bill, thus requiring the purchaser to increase their income in turn, creating another potential strike in a different area. If you're not happy with the pay on offer, don't take the job, simple.

As for China and India, I still don't understand why a large amount of our hard earned taxes is given to them, charity begins at home, or it should do. Most of the products for sale here, apart from food, are produced in China anyway, so why all the fuss about the EU ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie, Most of the UK’s GDP comes from services - like finance, design, consultancy and more. The largest market for that is the EU - not Russia, China or indeed the USA. In 10 years, when London is moaning about it’s economy being shot as the banks and insurance companies have all relocated to the EU, Maybe you will believe us.
holitec

Post by holitec »

Sorry Jim, but you are wrong there. The emerging markets are countries like Brazil and South America, not the EU - the EU is a declining market on services - I got this form a city broker (who voted to leave)!

If you do not belive me, just try to apply for a UK credit card or loan etc as a non UK citizen - see how far you get with the "single market on services". it does not exist, or if you are a company try to get a credit card processor that is not JCC Try getting Aviva to insure your car in Cyprus, Services are not part of the single market and never have been.

I respect your view, but facts will get in the way, yes some banks etc may relocate a small office within the EU, the the real business is outside of the EU.

Digby
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Holitec
Funny enough my cars are insured with AIG as is our house and our medical insurance is with PPP.
As the saying goes. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and it's the same with the introduction of services across the EU.
The top and bottom of it is money brokers want out because they're not happy with the newly introduced regulations on tax avoidance and money laundering.

Jim