Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Varky

Re: Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Post by Varky »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm Varky, I do agree with you that she needs to be simply allowed back in, arrested immediately, without trial, and kept out of society for a long time.
Slight disagreement here as I think she has to go through the due process of the law. Whilst I totally disagree with Devil. Who knows, leaving her out there could create an even more dangerous terrorist.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Varky wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 pm
Jimgward wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm Varky, I do agree with you that she needs to be simply allowed back in, arrested immediately, without trial, and kept out of society for a long time.
Slight disagreement here as I think she has to go through the due process of the law. Whilst I totally disagree with Devil. Who knows, leaving her out there could create an even more dangerous terrorist.
Not if you delete her!!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I do agree with Devil on this occasion.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:38 pm I do agree with Devil on this occasion.
Red letter day: Firefly agrees with me ! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Sorry, I couldn't resist! :twisted: :twisted: )
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

Yes it's quite incredible isn't it :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Devil wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 pm
That sounds perilously close to a concentration camp. Personally, I say never let her enter the UK and simply forget she existed.
Devil - you are correct with the concentration camp analogy, BUT, as a British citizen, she is our responsibility, unfortunately.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am , BUT, as a British citizen, she is our responsibility, unfortunately.
She is no longer a British citizen. The Home Secretary formally rescinded her UK nationality. She is either Danish, through marriage, or Bangladeshi, through birth. I cannot understand the weak arguments to bring her back to the UK. Let her stew in her own juice, wherever, but not the UK!
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Dutch not Danish. Not that it matters though ...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Mea Culpa, Dutch it is!
Varky

Post by Varky »

Devil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:35 am
Jimgward wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:26 am , BUT, as a British citizen, she is our responsibility, unfortunately.
She is no longer a British citizen. The Home Secretary formally rescinded her UK nationality. She is either Danish, through marriage, or Bangladeshi, through birth. I cannot understand the weak arguments to bring her back to the UK. Let her stew in her own juice, wherever, but not the UK!
The fact is that what the Home Secretary did, by revoking her citizenship, was illegal under international law. All this about Dutch/Danish/Bangladeshi citizenship is just smoke and mirrors. I suppose you will be the first to complain about the expense being incurred when her lawyers, with legal aid, contest his ruling and the commensurate expense incurred on lawyers defending the action.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

She has Dutch citizenship from her Dutch husband, she has Bangladeshi citizenship also, but neither country will have her, just the stupid 'do gooders' of the UK will fight for her rights. What about the rights of the children of the UK, blown apart in Manchester ! Let's not forget them, we owe her NOTHING.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

She has been stripped of her British Citizenship, and rightly so, interpret the law anyway you like.

If people choose to support this terrorist, because that is what she is, as I see it, it's the 'do gooders' brigade, who care not that our citizens are being killed and maimed on their own streets, but care only for the perpetrators, why I will never understand.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Get’s quite heated at times on here over the slightest thing.

She would not get back into the UK even if she still had her citizenship for a couple of reasons – She could not go back to her family even after interrogation as she would not last 30 seconds the way feelings are about these kind of people – Nobody would employ her or want anything to do with her - They would have to give her a new identity – Safe house – 24 hour protection – A giro cheque for life – and anything else she asks for – Its not going to happen there would be public outcry if they even thought about bringing her back – She is just scum and does not deserve to be still alive.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Hhhhmmmm, watch this space Trans Am. The law is still a damn powerful thing in the UK, hence Javids reticence. Sadly, it's power has been severely clipped in recent times due to the 'laissez-fair'' brigade, but it is still the law. Let's wait and see.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It may be worth taking a read under the heading "Intended Return" - all of it, not just the parts that annoy you:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamima_Begum
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

Also it might be useful if people google "revocation of UK citizenship". From the various options, I understood, in the main part such revocation can only take place when citizenship was granted by naturalisation and not by birth. In addition, it was considered that revocation of citizenship was an abrogation of that country's obligation to deal internally with the revocee's (?) crimes, by passing the buck on to another country, so to say.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:21 am It may be worth taking a read under the heading "Intended Return" - all of it, not just the parts that annoy you:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamima_Begum
The most important bit about that is the first sentence:

Shamima Begum (born c. 2000) is a British-born woman

It's nothing to do with being a bleeding heart liberal, but facing up to the UK's responsibilities.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 pm
The most important bit about that is the first sentence:
Shamima Begum (born c. 2000) is a British-born woman
So what? She renounced her right to be British by her actions as is made quite clear in the article you quote:
The following day, UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid announced that an order had been made with the intention of stripping Begum of her British citizenship.[19] The UK government contends that she holds, or is eligible for, citizenship of Bangladesh.[20] There have been reports that immigration lawyers confirm this position.[19] The Government of Bangladesh, however, stated that Begum does not hold Bangladeshi citizenship and will not be allowed to enter the country.[2][21][22]

British law does not allow that an individual is made stateless and Begum will have the right to appeal the Home Office's decision to revoke her UK citizenship.[19] Javid's decision was criticised by Begum's immediate family members, who sought to stop it through legal methods, but her brother-in-law Muhammad Rahman urged the public to support the government decision. He said: "The information they have is to the best of their ability and the British people should support it".[23] Shamima Begum said that she might consider applying for Dutch citizenship.[24][25]

On 24 February, her father Ahmed Ali said, "If she at least admitted she made a mistake then I would feel sorry for her and other people would feel sorry for her, but she does not accept her wrong."
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil, believe me, I am not saying she is the UK's problem out of any sense of altruism. I would be happy if they locked her up for a very long time indeed. She is a despicable human being.

I think though, that she is a product of the UK, and the UK ultimately has to deal with it.

Incidentally, I am moving the non-relevant components of this thread to the pit, where they belong.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Firefly wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm She has Dutch citizenship from her Dutch husband, she has Bangladeshi citizenship also, but neither country will have her, just the stupid 'do gooders' of the UK will fight for her rights. What about the rights of the children of the UK, blown apart in Manchester ! Let's not forget them, we owe her NOTHING.
On both counts she doesn't.