Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Post by PhotoLady »

Shamima Begum - who joined the Islamic State group aged 15 - is set to be granted legal aid to fight the decision to revoke her UK citizenship.
The 19-year-old, who left east London in 2015, was stripped of her citizenship in February, after she was found in a Syrian refugee camp.
Her family has previously said it planned to challenge the decision.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the idea of the provision of legal aid to Ms Begum made him "very uncomfortable".
Mr Hunt added, however, that the UK was "a country that believes that people with limited means should have access to the resources of the state if they want to challenge the decisions the state has made about them".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47934721

They were warned, however.....
On Monday, the Daily Mail first reported that legal aid had been granted in response to an application made on 19 March.
Mr Javid said the granting of legal aid was a decision for legal aid organisations and it was "not for ministers to comment".
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn argued Ms Begum had the right to apply for legal aid.
"She is a British citizen," he said. "She's therefore entitled to apply for legal aid if she has a legal problem just like anybody else is."
He added: "The whole point of legal aid is that if you're facing a prosecution then you're entitled to be represented and that's a fundamental rule of law, a fundamental point in any democratic society."
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Re: Shamima Begum - this is going to cost UK a small fortune....

Post by Varky »

David Brown wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 pm I was under the impression that her citizenship had been refused as she has duel nationality.
Also it has not been confirmed or denied she is receiving legal aid.
Her citizenship was withdrawn as it was stated that she had dual nationality but this was not quite true. It was contended that, through her parents, she was eligible for Bangladeshi nationality. Bangladesh has subsequently denied that it will grant her its nationality. So she only has ever had British nationality. Sajid Javid, chasing the popularity vote for his forthcoming Prime ministership campaign, withdrew her citizenship, which by international law, cannot be done if by doing so it would leave that person stateless.

Whether you like it or not she will eventually have her British citizenship reinstated. So it would seem to be common sense not to go through the courts wasting money on lawyers (not limited to legal aid) just to pander to Sajid Javid's political reputation and accept the inevitable. It seems he is following on from a list of incompetent Home Secretaries.
Last edited by Varky on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Much as i find it disgraceful - she is by no means the innocent child she and her family would have us believe - I fear she will get her day in court, funded by the long suffering British tax payers. She will then no doubt be free to preach and parade her ideas and support of ISIS throughout the UK. Be interesting to see in the future just how she acts onc she's back in th UK and whether or not she recruits others to her cause. Bit of a 'watch this space' I feel.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

One assumes when she comes back, which no doubt she will, she will be arrested and investigations made, then punished for her wrongdoings.
She will be released at some point in the future of course, then we just have to wait and see....
She's still a British citizen and it was a pointless and expensive exercise in trying to cast her out in order to garner support.
I can't accept what she has done and don't condone it, but as the saying goes - the law is the law.
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm Shamima Begum - who joined the Islamic State group aged 15 - is set to be granted legal aid to fight the decision to revoke her UK citizenship.
The 19-year-old, who left east London in 2015, was stripped of her citizenship in February, after she was found in a Syrian refugee camp.
Her family has previously said it planned to challenge the decision.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the idea of the provision of legal aid to Ms Begum made him "very uncomfortable".
Mr Hunt added, however, that the UK was "a country that believes that people with limited means should have access to the resources of the state if they want to challenge the decisions the state has made about them".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47934721

They were warned, however.....
On Monday, the Daily Mail first reported that legal aid had been granted in response to an application made on 19 March.
Mr Javid said the granting of legal aid was a decision for legal aid organisations and it was "not for ministers to comment".
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn argued Ms Begum had the right to apply for legal aid.
"She is a British citizen," he said. "She's therefore entitled to apply for legal aid if she has a legal problem just like anybody else is."
He added: "The whole point of legal aid is that if you're facing a prosecution then you're entitled to be represented and that's a fundamental rule of law, a fundamental point in any democratic society."

I take issue with Corbyn's last sentence (above). How about the fundamental and democratic right of a citizen, to go about their business, whether shopping, going to a pop concert, or just taking children to school, without fear of having their limbs blown to bits?

Happy for her never to be allowed back into the UK, but of course, she will be. She may/may not go to prison. I haven't any sympathy for this woman whatsoever. I save that for those killed at the Manchester Arena, the victims of 7/7 and all victims of terrorism.
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Let her get out her sewing kit and sew a vest on herself and then make us all happy.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Whats the fuss??Times change,during WW11 Lord Haw Haw defected to what was the enemy of the time and we all know how the Brits rewarded him when he returned to the UK.Fast forward seventy odd years and we give them legal aid to help them enrol back into UK society.
We,ll not stop it, we,ll have to accept it.Along to the polling booths we will trot at the next election and vote for either LibLabCon and get more of what we don't want.
Anyone who dared put their head above the parapet and said what most of us think would probably get locked up.
Political correctness,being paralysed in fear of offending anyone about anything....Times are changing,,,,So whats the fuss?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

What a pity we ended transportation!
outasite

Post by outasite »

Varky wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:03 am
David Brown wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 pm I was under the impression that her citizenship had been refused as she has duel nationality.
Also it has not been confirmed or denied she is receiving legal aid.
Her citizenship was withdrawn as it was stated that she had dual nationality but this was not quite true. It was contended that, through her parents, she was eligible for Bangladeshi nationality. Bangladesh has subsequently denied that it will grant her its nationality. So she only has ever had British nationality. Sajid Javid, chasing the popularity vote for his forthcoming Prime ministership campaign, withdrew her citizenship, which by international law, cannot be done if by doing so it would leave that person stateless.

Whether you like it or not she will eventually have her British citizenship reinstated. So it would seem to be common sense not to go through the courts wasting money on lawyers (not limited to legal aid) just to pander to Sajid Javid's political reputation and accept the inevitable. It seems he is following on from a list of incompetent Home Secretaries.
Rather than Javid pandering for popularity, could it just possibly be that he read the mood of the nation correctly and is trying to keep a very very dangerous piece of work out of the UK. A piece of work that said the Manchester bombing was justified. A piece of work that I contend would still be in the cesspit known as islamic state if it hadn't been almost, but sadly not quite, eradicated like the disease it is. A piece of work that has shown NO remorse whatsoever.
Could Javid have done it because of that?
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Do as she did to others. Do what she did under the banner of Islam and Islam does not agree with what she did. SCUM AND HER FAMILY. absolute shite she is.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree with you Stelios, but Javid must act within the realms of the law, which is exactly what he is doing. I hate it as much as many people seem to that she is seen to be getting away with her 'crimes'. Think much needs to be watched and monitored once she returns. I personally feel she has not truly renounced her beliefs and will revert to form once she is back.
I pray to God that either im wrong or the security services are on her case from day one.
outasite

Post by outasite »

It's sadly all a bit academic anyway. This weasly government has already allowed many of these people back in, quietly, non reported, so one more won't make a blind bit of difference. And perhaps she will be banged up for life but I can't see the appeasing cowards who run this country leting that happen. There will still be atrocities against the UK by, if not her, scum like her.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

These "appeasing cowards" as you put it outaside where put into power by UK citizens at the ballot box,and will be again,and again so I,m afraid we,ll just have to get used to it.
An extreme left or right wing government would not let this happen but we wont vote for such,so there we have it.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Agreed, smudger...
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Shamima Begum gets legal aid?Whilst on this subject,here,s one to make your BLOOD BOIL......wait for it...….Last year 5,407 domestic abuse victims where REFUSED legal aid and had to face and defend themselves in court alone against their tormentor due to...…………. LEGAL AID FUNDING CUTS.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Lets be honest. Until Bush started on Iraq we had no threat from Islam. America again took it to the extreme. The whole of north Africa then was put at risk by his actions(bush). America the free land that took slaves and till this day treats black people different.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The US picked up the mantle of imperialism from the UK after WW2 and we were happy, at times, to also run with it. It causes nothing but strife for the countries we decide to ‘democratise’. Who are we to decide Libya or Iraq is better off without tribal leaders, or that Saudi Arabia and others are?

We are hypocrites to financial exploitation. Our leaders never gave a toss about the ‘poor people’ of countries we screwed up.

We are now the paying the price. At one time, We could get away with things when communications were poor. Nowadays, not.
Varky

Post by Varky »

smudger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:10 am Agree with you Stelios, but Javid must act within the realms of the law, which is exactly what he is doing. I hate it as much as many people seem to that she is seen to be getting away with her 'crimes'. Think much needs to be watched and monitored once she returns. I personally feel she has not truly renounced her beliefs and will revert to form once she is back.
I pray to God that either im wrong or the security services are on her case from day one.
Agreed and this was the point that I was trying to make. This is what separates us from the terrorists. Knee-jerk reactions would allow the terrorists to point out that we are no better than them. Don't get me wrong. Bring her back, put her in prison for a long time and pump her incessantly for information as to how she was recruited, what part her family played in that and everything that she and others did whilst out in Syria. Make it so that a refugee camp in Syria would have been paradise in comparison and she should have stayed there.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky, I do agree with you that she needs to be simply allowed back in, arrested immediately, without trial, and kept out of society for a long time.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm Varky, I do agree with you that she needs to be simply allowed back in, arrested immediately, without trial, and kept out of society for a long time.
That sounds perilously close to a concentration camp. Personally, I say never let her enter the UK and simply forget she existed.