protesters block motorway at pissouri

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: protesters block motorway at pissouri

Post by Jim B »

Jeba
In the UK the Builder when constructing and Local Governments Planning Departments in each area have a duty of care when issuing building permits and I believe Cyprus law is based on British Common Law.
I can contradict myself when I see law not dispensed freely and favours the rich and powerful; what else is there left to do?

Jim
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I was reading all the comments on this subject with my lap top on my knee.I closed it down,leaned back ,closed my eyes for a few minutes and thought how would I be feeling if my house was collapsing around me,i had no insurance,no one accepted responsibility and I would loose everything..Try it.
I,m not to sure about the way these very very unfortunate people are demonstrating.Do they have a fighting fund,,,lets say every expat in Cyprus sent them a tenner. 10,000 @ 10 euros that's a 100,000 to help their cause...…..Where,s the Dunkirk spirit?
lotus

Post by lotus »

Chaddy I think in a lot not all cases the Dunkirk spirit disappeared years ago!Many Brits I know over here have the attitude long as their OK bugger the rest,I emphasis NOT all,though!!!!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If I was in the same position as them. I would have also blocked the motorway. Some of them invested ALL their savings and now stand to lose everything.
All things are possible
lotus

Post by lotus »

Same here ! And don't forget the hundreds of others who have similar problems!
jeba

Post by jeba »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:28 pm If I was in the same position as them. I would have also blocked the motorway. Some of them invested ALL their savings and now stand to lose everything.
Imagine everybody who lost their savings e. g. during the Lehman crisis or due to other reasons (think refugees) blocked the motorway. Where would that take us? And how would it help? No - rule of law and law enforcement is what is called for in my view.
Jim B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 pm Jeba
In the UK the Builder when constructing and Local Governments Planning Departments in each area have a duty of care when issuing building permits and I believe Cyprus law is based on British Common Law.
I can contradict myself when I see law not dispensed freely and favours the rich and powerful; what else is there left to do?

Jim
What does it have to do with the rich and powerful? I doubt they had anything to do with that landslide or benefited from it.

Apart from that it´s interesting that where I´m from before you start building in potentially risky areas you´d better have a geologist assess your plot rather than rely on the municipality. They won´t be responsible. So to me it seems counterintuitive to demand compensation from the state. But we also have insurance against natural hazards available. Reading that this isn´t available in Cyprus seems mindboggling to me.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

If it wasn’t for the abolitionists, would slavery have continued for hundreds more years? They were called religious nuts...

If it wasn’t for the suffragettes, how many years would women have waited for a vote.... and over a century later, we still don’t have equality... they were called all sorts and jailed or placed in asylums

I actually took part in protests against apartheid and Thatchers media called us commies and much morse. She called Mandela a terrorist. But lunched with Pinochet.

Climate change may very well prove to be as serious as they make out. We may have passed the point of no return. I don’t agree with affecting Heathrow, but unless a protest disrupts, it doesn’t make the media. Same media condemns them more than you can imagine. A media driven by big business needs for expansion and growth and more.

So, we may look back in 20 and wish we had done more to help and take part.
‘With respect, filling basics with recycling may be too little too late. We already have polluted seas, Forrest cut down for profit and more emissions than ever. More people now live today tha the cumulative total of all who have every lived before. Quite a statistic.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have moved this to politics as the conversation has moved on to the nature and acceptability of protests in general. There is nothing wrong in that, and it could be interesting.

I have only moved this because there is now another News story about Pissouri.

If you want to discuss the situation in Pissouri, and what you think the government should be doing about it, then please do so on the thread in the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8918

If you want to discuss protesting in general, do so on this thread.

Thank you. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.