protesters block motorway at pissouri

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Mrblobby

protesters block motorway at pissouri

Post by Mrblobby »

Protesters block motorway at pissouri .

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/04/14/angr ... k-highway/

Some angry comments on the “I love Pissouri” face book page .
Attachments
C985949F-288B-4B09-BF9F-0F8DC9A6C267.jpeg
C985949F-288B-4B09-BF9F-0F8DC9A6C267.jpeg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 5136 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: protesters block motorway at pissouri

Post by Dominic »

Idiotic action.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 pmIdiotic action.

What is an alternative??

In your opinion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Blockade the presidential palace in Nicosia. Something like that. Actions like that will affect people who can do something about the situation. Blockading the motorway will just piss off the rest of the population, who can't do anything.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Bloody good luck to them,its about time something should be done here to help scores of people all over the island facing similar problems,the whole system here is a joke,we are talking peoples life savings and health here,its all too easy for folks who aren't affected to turn the other cheek,and as for the title deeds fiasco here that's another horror story for some people
lotus

Post by lotus »

With respect HIC that's a typical case of Iam Alright Jack,how would other members feel if they were in this position re houses?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

How awful for those who have lost their homes and possibly life savings......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:06 pm With respect HIC that's a typical case of Iam Alright Jack,how would other members feel if they were in this position re houses?
If I was in their position I would want to do something that would be effective, like picketing the presidential palace in Nicosia. I wouldn't want to alienate myself from the rest of the population.

And that's nothing to do with "I'm alright Jak".
WHL

Post by WHL »

I agree, pointless and dangerous blocking the motorway, just alienates people
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Have to hope nobody missed a flight from Pafos or indeed Larnaca.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems like a case of ‘I’m all right Jack’ by people who are unaffected by land slippages who are making a fuss. As Lotus and others have said, some peoples lives are being affected by these land slippages. Whether its their own homes which are disintergrating in front of their eyes as with part of Pissouri, people in part of Armou facing a similar problem or residents in Kamares whose lives are affected by a slipping building which threatens to fall and destroy the only direct approach to their homes. In all these cases Government is trying to slope its shoulders and avoid doing anything to help them or to lean heavily on the local government or on Nicosia Govt planners who previously gave the planning permissions. Maybe the residents of Pissoyri will be encouraged to take their protest to Nicosia. But that is harder to organise as some people would need to take a day off work to do this.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are completely missing the point.
jeba

Post by jeba »

In my view that´s tantamount to taking innocent people hostage. I´d hope they all get fined for coercion and dangerous interference with road traffic
lotus

Post by lotus »

From what I can gather the hold up wasn't for long,anybody who doesn't allow extra time for an airport run are daft as you can get held up for many reasons,its time people made a stand here,so many not just Brits affected by these problems,at least these people are doing something about it,as for you lot safely tucked up in your safe houses who thought the protest was a nuisance get a life,its people's future were talking about,anyway look at the publicity they have got!!!!!!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It brought the plight of these poor people to the public's attention; I don't think a demonstration outside the Presidents Palace would have the same effect.
Desparate times call for desparate measures.
Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The public already knew about the plight. It has been in the papers on numerous occasions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 am From what I can gather the hold up wasn't for long,anybody who doesn't allow extra time for an airport run are daft as you can get held up for many reasons,its time people made a stand here,so many not just Brits affected by these problems,at least these people are doing something about it,as for you lot safely tucked up in your safe houses who thought the protest was a nuisance get a life,its people's future were talking about,anyway look at the publicity they have got!!!!!!
You esp missing the point, and stop being so rude.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 am It brought the plight of these poor people to the public's attention; I don't think a demonstration outside the Presidents Palace would have the same effect.
Desparate times call for desparate measures.
Jim
I agree Jim, they must feel so desperate to do something like that. What a horrible situation to be in.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Yes it has been in the papers but if your not personally involved then the subject is forgotten by many, don't think people realise what a serious issue it is and the terrific hardship it has caused,its a wonder anybody buys a house over here,I know so many people with problems, the protesters should carry on,going through proper channel's will get them nowhere,please don't call me rude either
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nobody is talking about going through proper channels. Clearly that hasn't worked. People are however, talking about effective means of protesting, and this isn't one of them. It runs the risk of alienating the victims from the rest of the population, whereas a protest in Nicosia would actually affect the people who make the decisions.

It is a myth that there is no such thing as bad publicity. And if you think that the subject is forgotten by many, why would this protest be any different. People won't remember why they were protesting, just that there were people blocking the motorway.

Take the French farmers, on numerous times they have blockaded roads. It seems to be a hobby for them. Can you remember exactly why they were blockading them, or do you only remember that lots of animals died as a result? The only time I can think that a blockade has actually worked was the petrol blockades. And the difference there is that the cause - petrol price - was having an effect on everybody.

So there is no need for me to "get a life", and it isn't a case of "I'm all right jack". Besides, I was in Polemi all day. It didn't affect me in the slightest. I rarely drive to Limassol anyway. So my objections to the protest are not because it affects me, but because I think there are better ways they could be doing it. The bus drivers took their problem to the Presidential Palace. The good people of Pissouri should consider something similar.