protesters block motorway at pissouri

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: protesters block motorway at pissouri

Post by Dominic »

If you find HiC's comparison (though he didn't even make it) astonishing, why do you then link Brexit with it?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:37 pm If you find HiC's comparison (though he didn't even make it) astonishing, why do you then link Brexit with it?
Because there have been protests in London by Remain voters which caused inconvenience to many yet I didn't hear HIC or anyone else who is anti the Pissouri protestors complaining about them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Two points:

The protest in London was in London, not Guildford, or Watford, or Bournemouth. Given that it was suggested that the Pissouri protestors should protest in Nicosia, this is the Cypriot equivalent of protesting in London. So why should HiC or anybody else complain about the London protests when we are suggesting that the Pissouri residents should do the same sort of thing?

Protests in London are normally known about well in advance and people can plan around them.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:37 pm Two points:

The protest in London was in London, not Guildford, or Watford, or Bournemouth. Given that it was suggested that the Pissouri protestors should protest in Nicosia, this is the Cypriot equivalent of protesting in London. So why should HiC or anybody else complain about the London protests when we are suggesting that the Pissouri residents should do the same sort of thing?

Protests in London are normally known about well in advance and people can plan around them.
Irrelevant where the protests were held, they inconvenienced many people, myself included. Which was what you and others were complaining about. I couldn't plan around them, and I am sure I wasn't alone in that.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 am There's also a big difference between unnanounced protests on an arterial highway, which can and will delay people heading to the airports to catch flights or meet incoming family and friends; cause delays to people going to and from their work and disrupt people trying to run a business...and...a protest announced well in advance in one small part of a major city, where there are alternative routes to get to where you want to go. Big difference!

Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pmDid anyone miss a flight?

We'll never know, will we? But if it were you who missed your flight and suffered a €300 loss, or were late for work and suffered a consequence, I'm sure you would be a lot less sanguine about the protest.

And BTW, I am NOT anti Pissouri protestors. I fully understand and sympathise with their predicament, but blocking a motorway and disrupting ordinary people's lives is not the best way to gain sympathy for your cause.
You are correct, this time, we will never know whether people missed flights, so why use it as the basis in your argument? Lots of people in London suffered yet because it suited your stance you didn't complain, funny that. Blocking central London and disrupting ordinary people's lives is not the best way to gain sympathy for their cause either, which rather neatly brings me back to my original point.
Last edited by Jimgym on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lotus

Post by lotus »

An announced protest wouldn't have had the same impact,people would have avoided that part of the motorway, I have used the motorway hundreds of times and have been held up by accidents, weather,roadworks, oranges etc,,anyway the protest seems to have worked,nobody hurt,hopefully no missed flights, bearing in mind all the other housing issues affecting people here perhaps the Cypriot way of blocking highways is the way to go!!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wouldn't say it worked. All that happened, from what I could see, is that the govt repeated their previous announcement. I hope my interpretation of that is wrong though.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 am There's also a big difference between unnanounced protests on an arterial highway, which can and will delay people heading to the airports to catch flights or meet incoming family and friends; cause delays to people going to and from their work and disrupt people trying to run a business...and...a protest announced well in advance in one small part of a major city, where there are alternative routes to get to where you want to go. Big difference!

Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pmDid anyone miss a flight?

We'll never know, will we? But if it were you who missed your flight and suffered a €300 loss, or were late for work and suffered a consequence, I'm sure you would be a lot less sanguine about the protest.

And BTW, I am NOT anti Pissouri protestors. I fully understand and sympathise with their predicament, but blocking a motorway and disrupting ordinary people's lives is not the best way to gain sympathy for your cause.
You are correct, this time, we will never know whether people missed flights, so why use it as the basis in your argument? Lots of people in London suffered yet because it suited your stance you didn't complain, funny that. Blocking central London and disrupting ordinary people's lives is not the best way to gain sympathy for their cause either, which rather neatly brings me back to my original point.
No it doesn't. The takeaway from your statement is that the Pissouri blockade wasn't the best way to gain sympathy for their cause. This is mine and HiC's entire point.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:56 am

Irrelevant where the protests were held, they inconvenienced many people, myself included. Which was what you and others were complaining about. I couldn't plan around them, and I am sure I wasn't alone in that.
It is not irrelevent at all. You are, yet again, failing to grasp the simple concept of what I have been saying.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Only direct action appears to work in Cyprus, trying to negotiate here doesn't seem to work that's why the locals kick up such a fuss to get things done.
I understand it was only a short protest of ten to twenty minutes so if anyone missed a flight there's a good possibility they would have missed it anyway; you are supposed to check in a couple of hours before it leaves anyway. Many times I've been caught up in delays from crashes, to animals loose on the motorway to grass fires and demonstrations by HGV drivers, just part and parcel of living on the island.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The only action that worked for the bus drivers, if memory serves me correctly, was when they took it to the palace.

If my memory is wrong I am happy to be corrected.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am

It is not irrelevent at all. You are, yet again, failing to grasp the simple concept of what I have been saying.
No Dominic, I have grasped your point. I do wonder however if you and HiC have grasped mine, or are just conveniently ignoring it. Forgive me if I refrain from making the same point yet again.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am Only direct action appears to work in Cyprus, trying to negotiate here doesn't seem to work that's why the locals kick up such a fuss to get things done.
I understand it was only a short protest of ten to twenty minutes so if anyone missed a flight there's a good possibility they would have missed it anyway; you are supposed to check in a couple of hours before it leaves anyway. Many times I've been caught up in delays from crashes, to animals loose on the motorway to grass fires and demonstrations by HGV drivers, just part and parcel of living on the island.

Jim
Well said Jim, thank you.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am

No Dominic, I have grasped your point. I do wonder however if you and HiC have grasped mine, or are just conveniently ignoring it. Forgive me if I refrain from making the same point yet again.
Your point appeared to be that the Brexit protests were annoying. Anyway, I have tired of this as well, so we can at least agree on that.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 am
Jimgym wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am

Your point appeared to be that the Brexit protests were annoying. Anyway, I have tired of this as well, so we can at least agree on that.
No, that wasn't my point, but never mind. However I do agree, it is becoming tiresome. The sun is out and I am going to enjoy it. :-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
Again, if we all took that attitude we would all be living in conditions of the 19th century. Do you honestly believe all the progress in social justice would have been given freely by those in power if people hadn't stood up to be counted.
If a twenty minute delay means the people affected will all be recompensed then it's a small price worth paying.
The people protesting in London, although I understand their aims I disagree with their tactics.
Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm Lloyd
Again, if we all took that attitude we would all be living in conditions of the 19th century.
And if we all took your attitude a lot of money for construction and maintenance of motorways could be saved because they would permanently be blocked anyway - given the amount of people with legitimate grievances. What about rule of law? I don´t know Cypriot laws but I bet that blocking motorways without permission is illegal.
smudger

Post by smudger »

You know, there are times in my life now, when I know my days are numbered, that I wonder just what this world is coming to, and am happy that I probably won't be here to see the results.

I accept and agree that there are huge problems re climate change, but I think most countries in the world are already on this case and doing their best. As are the citizens of said countries. I can't believe the amount of different bags I have on my patio and in my kitchen for recycling and I know many many friends are exactly the same. This wouldn't have happened a few years ago. Many many groups are engaged in litter collection, tidying up countrysides and beach areas, promoting the welfare of animals, crops, all types of food production. So I don't see the need for or agree with the demonstrations in London. I would guess that a huge proportion of the protesters are jumping on a myriad of bandwagons. I see no connection whatsoever with social advancement or indeed the history of social advancement.

I have the greatest sympathy with the Pissouri protesters, but cannot agree with their chosen method of protestation. Have to say, I don't think they would gave achieved much more by protesting in Nicosia. This is Cyprus. This disaster simply should not have happened, but like so many instances here, will the culprits ever be brought to justice??

Like almost every othe instance any of us could mention in Cyorus, this would be a resounding NO!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

jeba wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 pm
Jim B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm Lloyd
Again, if we all took that attitude we would all be living in conditions of the 19th century.
And if we all took your attitude a lot of money for construction and maintenance of motorways could be saved because they would permanently be blocked anyway - given the amount of people with legitimate grievances. What about rule of law? I don´t know Cypriot laws but I bet that blocking motorways without permission is illegal.
Quite agree Jeba about the rule of law but the law works both ways or should but generally those that are able to use the laws to their advantage to the detriment of those that can't.

Lloyd
Like Mouse I wonder would you have the same attitude if Secret Valley slid down the hill and after trying for many years to get compensation without success would you just shrug your shoulders and say "well this is Cyprus"? I don't think so.
The bus drivers were mentioned in an earlier post picketing outside the Presidents Palace; at the same time they were on strike for over three weeks and inconvenienced tens of thousands of passengers, the Protesters in Pissouri whose protest was on a Sunday morning affected several hundred drivers for a few minutes. The protesters in Pissouri are unable to use striking as a method of protest.
I would really be intrigued as to what you believe they should do as it appears they've hit the buffers as far as taking it down the legal road?
As an aside, the road to the houses in Armou is closed as properties are still slipping due to the excessive rain.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jim B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:51 am Quite agree Jeba about the rule of law but the law works both ways or should but generally those that are able to use the laws to their advantage to the detriment of those that can't.
If you agree about the rule of law how can you disagree that blocking motorways in protest is justified? What does the fact that some might be able to bend/abuse the law with that blockade? After all, there is nobody who benefited from this landslide or did anything to cause it.

As much as I feel for those affected I´m failing to understand anyway why they should have a claim for compensation against anybody unless they took out insurance cover. If the same happened to me with my property in Germany I´d be on my own (as I chose to not take out insurance against landslides). It certainly wouldn´t occur to me to inconvenience or maybe even damage completely innocent third parties.