protesters block motorway at pissouri

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
lotus

Re: protesters block motorway at pissouri

Post by lotus »

We are not talking about French farmers but our fellow countrymen and women,it is a case of Iam alright Jack to many,as I said before at least the protest has got good publicity,do you think a protest at the Palace would really work,The government don't give a toss,I also don't think the protesters are alienating people,if some were p,...sed off being late for lunch in the traffic queue tough
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 am From what I can gather the hold up wasn't for long,anybody who doesn't allow extra time for an airport run are daft as you can get held up for many reasons,its time people made a stand here,so many not just Brits affected by these problems,at least these people are doing something about it,as for you lot safely tucked up in your safe houses who thought the protest was a nuisance get a life,its people's future were talking about,anyway look at the publicity they have got!!!!!!
Mostly negative publicity, they have done themselves more harm then good.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

With an attitude like that I am sure you will win a lot of friends.

The protest has got publicity. I wouldn't say that it was good publicity.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am We are not talking about French farmers but our fellow countrymen and women,it is a case of Iam alright Jack to many,as I said before at least the protest has got good publicity,do you think a protest at the Palace would really work,The government don't give a toss,I also don't think the protesters are alienating people,if some were p,...sed off being late for lunch in the traffic queue tough
What a cheap nasty comment, you have no idea why people were on that motorway, after reading your comments , I would suggest its you, who needs to get a life.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Disagree,its good publicity, its time something was sorted out,I would support anything they did,put yourself in their position,the government won't do anything,how would you feel about your house collapsing round you?
lotus

Post by lotus »

You are the cheap nasty one,always think you're right,get yourself a life
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Quite often the motorway is blocked at the Paphos end by HGV vehicles protesting for one reason or another and not for ten minutes, I would guess they're not protesting about the loss of their homes; strange not a comment when that happens.
WHL, I don't know how a thanks appeared next to one of your posts because I don't agree with your post. Sorry.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 am The public already knew about the plight. It has been in the papers on numerous occasions.
Maybe so but nothing is being done. There are six houses by my place in Armou that slid and and five were abandoned. They are still sliding and everyone in authority has washed their hands of the problem.
Sometimes direct action is the only way and let's face it the locals aren't backwards in coming forwards.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

As an aside and apologies for bringing Brexit into it but I don't recall seeing people on here moaning about the inconvenience to people in London, myself included, when the marchers descended on London and caused major delays to many. My sympathy goes to those whose homes are affected. i cannot begin to imagine how they must be feeling and hope things get sorted very soon.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Dominic I have plenty of good decent friends thankyou,what I don't have thank goodness are self opinionated,sarcastic, don't give a damn about other people but themselves friends,
jeba

Post by jeba »

lotus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 am ,its time people made a stand here,
If everybody who has a legitimate concern or was treated unfairly or unacceptably by bureaucracy would block the motorway it would be closed permanently. You can´t allow that.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Having been in the situation of nearly losing our home here I have every sympathy with the protesters. The government must do something quickly to help these people, and others who have lost, or are in danger of losing their homes. Insurance will not pay out, the developers have long since gone and you cannot get insurance here for landslip.

Blocking the motorway seems to be a legitimate way of protesting here. A few years ago the locals in Anarita blocked the motorway exits in protest of army buses coming through the village.
lotus

Post by lotus »

My point is Jena that hundreds of people here have been treated unfairly,imagine buying a house here,paying good money in good faith then a year later it is uninhabitable due to land slippage etc,the house is worthless now,nobody will help you,government wash their hands of it,you're buggered!,not to mention all you're money but yore health to,what do you do?you have to fight to somehow to get. something at least back,so if that means drastic measures so be it,I will add its not happened to me but. I know people it has happened to ,you come over here to what you think will be a better life and this happens!,its only a small minority of course but it does happen
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am Dominic I have plenty of good decent friends thankyou,what I don't have thank goodness are self opinionated,sarcastic, don't give a damn about other people but themselves friends,
Any more of that and you are out of here. I am fed up with your rudeness.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It is a very emotive subject, especially to the people who it affects. There's one family in our village who have stayed because they have no other alternative. Like most of us they bought a dream which has turned into a nightmare.
I was fortunate that my place is underpinned and built on relatively flat land but I've just spent over €12,000 to pin the perimeter wall with piles which thankfully was done prior to all the rains we've had.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I understand that. But nobody is saying that the residents of Pissouri or elsewhere don't have a completely valid case. They do. And there but for the grace of God go all of us.

All people are questioning is whether the action was the best one they could take.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

WHL wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:17 pm I agree, pointless and dangerous blocking the motorway, just alienates people
Not too dissimilar of the protests in London yesterday though isn’t it?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What, the one where 100 people were arrested?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

The protestors yesterday caused criminal damage to Shell HQ and had no right to do so, despite what they believe in. They should be made to pay then perhaps they'd think twice before wilfully wrecking something that doesn't belong to them and acting like scum in the process. Did the Pissouri protestors who are losing their homes cause any criminal damage?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm...Did the Pissouri protestors who are losing their homes cause any criminal damage?

But had the Police not intervened at Pissouri, might people have lost their flights, with no prospect of recompense? And in such event, should protestors be made to cough up for passenger losses? What's the difference with the Shell protest? One is material vandalism, the other financial vandalism.

Whilst people should, and indeed do, have a right to protest at perceived injustice, they don't have a right to mess up other folks going about their normal everyday lives, other than momentarily.
Did anyone miss a flight? How you can even begin to compare the two protests is quite astonishing. I’m not sure what else I can add really. I do hope you are as vocal in your opinion when it comes to Remain voters causing chaos in London.