The Rosy EU

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: The Rosy EU

Post by Jimgward »

The big mistake, in my opinion, has been in trying to make the leap, without stages. We should have transitioned better. i.e. leave with Customs Union, changing to single market after 2 - 3 years
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I can't recall ever calling the EU Utopia but there you go; people read what they want to read. I have said and still believe the ordinary people have benefited greatly from membership with rights that our successive governments would never have given us left to their own devices.
Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm You may well have the solution apart from Bercow, can't stand the man.
He is a great character!
www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-4786679 ... it-stardom
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

To you Devil, maybe.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:10 pm
Firefly wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm You may well have the solution apart from Bercow, can't stand the man.
He is a great character!
www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-4786679 ... it-stardom
I agree Devil, he's very witty and is his own man. The Tories hate him because he shows no favouritism towards them.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Each to their own.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The effect on our GDP over 3 years, would have paid any EU bill for the next 5 years.... Then there’s losses due to markets, currencies and more.... As you say, Lloyd, an expensive business
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Interesting reading. Thank you Ronk.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

A ‘visitor’ does not stay for a prolonged, semi-permanent or extended period. They then stop being a ‘visitor’

I’m coming to Cyprus on Wednesday, for a week. I’m visiting.

Interesting how some would define an ‘expat’ as a better class of immigrant..... something I find abhorrent. An expat could be any nationality, but only referred to as an expat, by they own nationality. Otherwise, immigrant is a better description.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I believe the "WE" referred to HIC and me rather than HIC and you.
I think you're nit picking about the word "Expat, not a word I generally use but many still do, especially those who work overseas rather than those who have permanently emigrated.
So basically you're saying that British citizens who live overseas should have no say or input into how the country is run even though we are affected by decisions made by the UK government. Most of us still pay taxes into the coffers of HM Treasury in one way or another and many contributed to the country all their working lives until retiring to the sun to enjoy their twilight years.
We have as much right as you to either comment or complain how the country is being run whether a Leaver or Remainer.
Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Ronk, did you live in cyprus? If so, you’re not a visitor. End of. If in doub’t, start again.

ARGUMENTS BREXITERS NO LONGER MAKE:
£350m a week for NHS
Turkey about to join EU
Parliamentary sovereignty (MPs = traitors obvs)
Boost for economy
Global, prosperous Britain (now not likely for 50 years at least)

ONLY ARGUMENT THEY STILL MAKE:
Will of the people 3 years ago
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

RONK. Your phrases are so mixed up and confusing to me. I cannot follow what you are even trying to say. So I give up.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ronk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 pm >JimB..you say "I believe the "WE" referred to HIC and me rather than HIC and you." Oh please..
It goes - my question - "Quote: So tell me HIC, you left the UK for good I think I read (I may be wrong)..exactly why are you so concerned with what goes on there?
His answer "We are both expats of many years in Cyprus. As are many on this forum. And I am as entitled as you to have an opinion on this."
He wouldn't say that to a like-minded poster like you now would he..just think about it Jim. (HIC could explain what he meant .. but if he says otherwise then he is telling porkies imo.)

Right Jim ..that's that cleared up ..so now on to your next point... you say I'm "nitpicking" about the term "expat". "Nitpicking"!.. a term HIC used just a few hours ago (you picked up on it eh..how predictable) ..call it what you will.. the term "expat" sucks as do those who (still) use it.

Then you come out with -
"So basically you're saying that British citizens who live overseas should have no say or input into how the country is run even though we are affected by decisions made by the UK government. Most of us still pay taxes into the coffers of HM Treasury in one way or another and many contributed to the country all their working lives until retiring to the sun to enjoy their twilight years.
We have as much right as you to either comment or complain how the country is being run whether a Leaver or Remainer."

That is not at all what I said to anyone or HIC Jim ..so come ..simply quote me on here where I said that..please do.
I said (to HIC) "you left the UK for good I think I read (I may be wrong)..exactly why are you so concerned with what goes on there?
n.b. on the thread you can see I emboldened the word "so".
You see Jim I just don't get it..you said "many contributed to the country all their working lives until retiring to the sun to enjoy their twilight years." - then O.K. enjoy those few years away from the land of your birth if you wish..but why get so hung up about the country that you left behind?

I then said earlier today at 2.56 pm - ">HIC - of course you are as entitled as anyone to have an opinion.. on any matter".
Is that plain-speaking enough for you Jim?
Considering you have stated several times in your posts that you still live in the UK or would not want to live in Cyprus I can't understand how you believe HIC would refer to you both as being Expats of many years in Cyprus.
The term Expat may suck to you but to many it's just that a term.
You asked the question why are we so concerned about what happens in the UK since we've left the country; what you don't appear to comprehend is what happens in the UK can have a detrimental affect on British Citizens who live overseas. That's why we get so "hung up" about it, that's both LEAVERS and Remainers.

Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Good morning Jim. Now, the last thing I wish to do is become a pedantic nitpicker, but your last sentence ends with the line “ leavers and Remainers”.
I feel that the capital initial should be accorded to the side which won the Referendum in 2016 by 1,350,000 votes, so whilst I’m sure it was only an oversight, I would prefer:”Leavers and remainers”.
Thank you Jim,
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ooo you pedantic NiTpIcKeR you.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

To settle an argument, read what the SOED says about expatriot (my bolding):
expatriot
E19.
[formed as EXPATRIATE verb: see -ATE2.]

A. noun. Orig., an exile. Now, a person who lives from choice in a foreign country. E19.
C. P. Snow An American expatriate, corrupted by Europe in the Jamesian style. e=1>E19<

B. adjective. Orig., exiled. Now, living in a foreign country from choice. Also, of or relating to an expatriate or expatriates. E19.
C. Thubron Many of his contemporaries never forgave Turgenev for his expatriate life. >.

• expatriatism noun the condition or fact of being an expatriate L20.
So, I've been an expatriot since 1963!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think the word "immigrant" sums it up pretty well.... certainly a word I never worried to use about myself when we moved to live and work in Cyprus from UK.

immigrant
/ˈɪmɪɡr(ə)nt/
noun
noun: immigrant; plural noun: immigrants
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:01 am Good morning Jim. Now, the last thing I wish to do is become a pedantic nitpicker, but your last sentence ends with the line “ leavers and Remainers”.
I feel that the capital initial should be accorded to the side which won the Referendum in 2016 by 1,350,000 votes, so whilst I’m sure it was only an oversight, I would prefer:”Leavers and remainers”.
Thank you Jim,
Jon.
Jon
Guilty as charged; my only mitigating circumstances are I send all my posts on my mobile and was being rushed to the shops by the wife so can only apologise for this oversight. I have edited my post which I hope is to your liking.
Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Jim- thank you- you are a REMAINER- and a gentleman!
Jon.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Back to my SOED
expat
colloq. M20.
= EXPATRIATE noun.
If it's good enough for Oxford, it's good enough for me in speech and in a forum, even if it's a colloquialism