The Rosy EU

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: The Rosy EU

Post by Jimgward »

I think Ronk learnt English on t’internet...
jeba

Post by jeba »

ronk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:44 pm Isn't that why you do "due diligence" before you make the decision to leave a country and go live somewhere else?
Do you think any kind of "due diligence" could have foreseen something like Brexit and / or the consequences thereof?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ronk
Like most people who decided to move abroad I didn't have a crystal ball and could only do due diligence on information available at the time.
I can't see anywhere I said I personally will be badly affected, again you're using poetic licence to try to make a point.
One final point, you keep referring to the EUSSR in your posts; as someone who spent over ten years working in the old Soviet States I can only say you just have no idea.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

“The most puzzling development in modern politics is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe”.
Mikhail Gorbachev.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

ronk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 pm "Expatriate is the Standard spelling of the noun meaning "someone either excluded from or self-exiled from the native land," and the adjective is spelled and pronounced the same way. The verb expatriate means "to be exiled or to withdraw from one's own country," "to leave it permanently." Expatriot is either a misspelling (on analogy with patriot, no doubt) or a nonce word meaning "former patriot," which might better be spelled ex-patriot; presumably it would refer to one’s loyalties but not one’s location. "
It makes me laugh when ignorami like you contradict what the Oxford English dictionary tells us. See my post Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:51 am on this thread. Please get your facts right before you ignorantly try to correct others.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 am “The most puzzling development in modern politics is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe”.
Mikhail Gorbachev.
Jon

My wife who is from an ex Soviet State finds comments like this and Ronks highly amusing, she and her friends from other ex States laugh out loud when I comment on statements comparing the EU with the Soviet Union and Gorachev is about as popular as David Cameron is in his home country.
To compare both is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Jim
jeba

Post by jeba »

ronk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm >Jeba..yes..why not? When was UKIP founded? ..do tell Jeba..look it up
Because it was unpredictable? Claiming that those who left the UK without accounting for Brexit were negligent because their "due diligence" hadn´t anticipated Brexit means adding insult to injury.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As I stated, how can one carry out due diligence including the affects of Brexit when emigrating to another EU country when due dilligence was carried out 20 years ago and Brexit became a factor only about ten years a go.
That is the question Jeba is asking as well, as I understand it. To me his written English is as good as most on here and better than some.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

ronk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm Please get your facts right before you ignorantly try to correct others...your original post on this is the funniest thing I've seen in years!
The Oxford English Dictionary is the standard for English and always has been ('The OED is the definitive record of the English language, featuring 600000 words, 3 million quotations, and over 1000 years of English.' - my emphasis!). Unfortunately, I haven't got the full OED (not enough shelf space!) but I do have the Shorter OED, which consists of two very large and heavy volumes. For me, this is the criterion for English definitions and is constantly updated to meet modern usage. I certainly mistrust any definitions found or not found on the Internet, especially from unknown or foreign sources.

Carry on laughing, if you will!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And so we witness the end of the posting career of yet another angry old man.

So Ronk, farewell. Find another tinpot forum to post on. You have overstayed your welcome here. That last post was the thin end of a very long wedge.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 am And so we witness the end of the posting career of yet another angry old man.

So Ronk, farewell. Find another tinpot forum to post on. You have overstayed your welcome here. That last post was the thin end of a very long wedge.
Given the insults he had thrown at him to which he responded in kind, it should come as no surprise that he was angry.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No, he took it to a different level. And he also made it clear that he had zero respect for the entire forum.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Calling it a tinpot forum was inexcusable, however if I'd been repeatedly subjected to insults by 2 forum members, I'd be rightly angry. I found his posts informative and it is a shame he has gone. It'll no doubt empower the guilty ones to continue with their unpleasant behaviour.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

To be honest, I think he was trying to get banned.

I don't want people to think that I want to kick off anybody who disagrees with me though. Not at all. But there has to be a line.

If anybody feels somebody has been out of order to them here, they can complain to me, and I will deal with the matter. I do take people's PMs seriously. If they do that, rather than escalate the matter themselves, the whole forum becomes a nicer place.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

I really feel that Jimgym has a point.

It seems to me that certain members of P.L. can get away with posting very rude insulting remarks to other posters. Why I know not, but it happens.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.