May Looking At Fourth Vote

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: May Looking At Fourth Vote

Post by Dominic »

ronk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:27 pm "Of course when I say "the public" I mean "the majority of the public"..

..then you should have written "what about all the polls suggesting the majority of the public want to remain in Europe now?" in your original post.

Writing "the public want to remain" gives a distinct impression of unanimity which is very much not the case.

If you look at, for example, this piece from Ipsos (Ipsos MORI) titled " The public's Brexit predictions" - https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ ... redictions
you can see that when the term "the public" is used it refers to the whole "population" which in this instance comprises people of voting age from 18-75 years old.

"Ipsos MORI interviewed a representative sample of 2,206 adults aged 18-75 across the United Kingdom. Interviews were conducted online between 28th September and 3rd October 2018. Data are weighted to the profile of the population."

I am not sure why they drew that line at 75 years old..I suppose they will have their reasons.
But even in your example "the public" doesn't refer to the whole public, which kind of defeats your point.

Anyway, this is getting us nowhere.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mrs May is I feel, wasting her time and ours, personally I think we should leave in April with no deal, but I can't ever see Parliament allowing us to leave
because the majority of THEM want to remain.

There was absolutely no point in having the referendum at all if Parliament do not have to act upon the result, so what was it all about ? A P.R. stunt for Cameron maybe, well he got that one wrong.

I and the rest of my family who voted leave feel totally betrayed, and I know a lot of other Brexiteers feel the same.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Is not half a cake better than no cake? Think of the non-Brexiteers who feel betrayed at the notion of your hard Brexit. Nothing can satisfy all. A good compromise will satisfy no-one yet will half-satisfy everyone. The proposal of keeping the gate open with a semi-Brexit seems to me the right way to go.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No Devil, the vote was leave, not let's sit on the fence.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 pm No Devil, the vote was leave, not let's sit on the fence.
I was being pragmatic, a word that is missing from your vocabulary.
Hard Brexit = half the population happy and the other half up in arms = conflict
Cancel Brexit = half the population happy and the other half up in arms = conflict
Compromise Brexit = all the population somewhat unhappy but willing to go half a mile for peace = no or little conflict
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

More voting today on 8 motions. Some already voted on last week and some new and/rejigged ones:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47767627
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

Pragmatic or not, Parliament will not agree on anything so far, they are the ones in conflict. Mrs May's deal is a bad one as I see it, time to leave and do deals afterwards.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm Parliament will not agree on anything so far, they are the ones in conflict.
On verra :)
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quite so.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

According to a report this morning I heard on BBC Five Live stated that all the Indicative Votes are a waste of time as apart from three options; Mays Deal, No Deal Brexit and Revoke Brexit all other options are just a wish list which would have to be proposed to and accepted by the EU.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes,I don't think legally the EU could agree any other proposal until after Britain leaves.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I think we can see where all this Brexit nonsense is going. Nothing will ever be agreed so the UK will leave with a "no deal" on the 12th, and we can all watch UK business slide down the toilet while Boris gleefully occupies number 10.
June

Post by June »

I voted to leave because I didn't like being under the law of the EU but frankly at the moment they seem a damn sight better than the self-serving politicians we have now !
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ronk
You could take the link comparing the EU with the Soviet Union and change it to comparing the UK with the Soviet Union and it would read exactly the same.
Item 1 about Austria could be compared with Thatchers "Managed Decline" of Liverpool in the eighties because we didnt bow down to her or another item where a Political Elite that runs the UK and when voted out of parliament are moved to a safer seat, our Boris springs to mind.
I would suggest you go and live in Russia and then see if you still agree with the comparison, they are much more open about controlling the populace than the UK is.
By the way I'm from Liverpool and never heard of him either.
Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Ronk - I now realise you are either at it, or unable to realise what a complete fool you come across as. Your posts are barely legible and your assertions so off the mark as to be amusing.
Last edited by Jimgward on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am Ronk - I now realise you are either at it, or too thick to realise what a complete fool you are. Your posts are barely legible and your assertions so off the mark as to be amusing.
Nasty, uncalled for and totally out of order. I suggest you either apologise or remove your offending post.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:04 am Ronk - I now realise you are either at it, or too thick to realise what a complete fool you are. Your posts are barely legible and your assertions so off the mark as to be amusing.
Nasty, uncalled for and totally out of order. I suggest you either apologise or remove your offending post.
You are correct - apologies to Rock et al
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I am in the UK and hadn’t been drinking at all.... hence timing differences
Also, it was 8am uk time I posted... and edited not much later....
Maybe you should try a drink... might stop you’re incessant quote style nobody can follow, with times that don’t make sense....

(The Rock was autocorrect BTW)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Do you even understand a fraction of what you post yourself? Try typing words on a phone and see what they autocorrect to.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Is all this really necessary ? It will be "My Dad's bigger than your Dad" next.