Plymouth Brexit Protest - Leave means Leave

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Plymouth Brexit Protest - Leave means Leave

Post by Jimgward »

Brexit ferry protest in Plymouth a no show rather than a go slow

A dozen passionate and very well behaved Brexiteers burned a string of EU flags - and cleaned up the mess afterwards

While the A30 and M5 had 'go slow' protests during today's rush hour, Brexiteers in Plymouth staged a 'no show' at the Millbay Docks tonight - to express their frustration at the way Government and Parliament are handling the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

Spokesperson Karen Gadd, 62, had previously said protesters aimed to disrupt the 8.30pm arrival of the Brittany Ferry. However, a "disappointing" turn out, which swelled from a crowd of eight to a throng of around a dozen, stood and waved a placard and a Union Flag as vehicles disembarked from the ferry - occasionally shouting 'Leave Means Leave', when passions really boiled over.

One man and his dog also joined the group, but only so the protesters could pause their protest to stroke his pet - before he left.

Police were in attendance, but the seven officers - most of whom remained in their van - threatened to outnumber the protesters.

Lin Taylor-Greep said: "So many people so full of it online - Plymouth is a damp, limp lettuce.

"I was the first here and nearly went home. This is laughable."

"I'm very disappointed - I haven't been out in the evening for three years."

Things did get a little heated at one point - a string of mini EU flags was set alight, after a few a failed attempts. But spokesperson Mrs Gadd swiftly swept up the remains of the charred bunting.

"We're very considerate. We're taking away our rubbish," said Mrs Gadd.

"We're peaceful and we're not going to stop the traffic," said Mrs Gadd, before the protest began in earnest.

"I'm glad there are no Remainers here. They're getting very nasty. Very Personal"

“They said we'd be down here on our mobility scooters," interjected fellow protester Ann Roberts, who later said a few disembarking ferry passengers yelled 'eff off' at her as they drove past.

"There's no need for abuse," she said.

However, the protesters also received encouragement, with a number of drivers beeping their horns - with one yelling "geddon, Nigel Farage" as he passed the protesters.

Despite the support from ferry passengers, Mrs Gadd admitted she was disappointed with the turn out.

"People on Facebook were saying they're coming - they but haven't turned up.

"I feel sorry for people having to to grow up in this country. I'm advising my kids to leave the country - to go to Greece or somewhere."
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Plymouth Brexit Protest - Leave means Leave

Post by Dominic »

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You really have to get a life otherwise your obsession will consume you!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You do realise that replying to posts isn't actually compulsory? Rather than bitch why not just go about your fun packed life?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:21 pm You really have to get a life otherwise your obsession will consume you!

Shane
Haha. Pot and kettle. Your post count is predicated on criticism. I happen to consider brexit the most serious change for the UK in centuries. Certainly as a peacetime change. If I post on it, it’s because many others consider it serious, whether they agree or disagree with my remain view. I respect consider leave views. I respect those who can debate or argue, disagree or even get annoyed. You are in another small band.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

By the way. The last sentence is genuine and not from me.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm You do realise that replying to posts isn't actually compulsory? Rather than bitch why not just go about your fun packed life?
Really, but then that would make a site like this pretty boring? And my glass is more than half full thanks, not like certain individuals on here!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm You do realise that replying to posts isn't actually compulsory? Rather than bitch why not just go about your fun packed life?
Really, but then that would make a site like this pretty boring? And my glass is more than half full thanks, not like certain individuals on here!

Shane
It wouldn't actually. More people are put off by petty bitching than inspired by it.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm
ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:21 pm You really have to get a life otherwise your obsession will consume you!

Shane
Haha. Pot and kettle. Your post count is predicated on criticism. I happen to consider brexit the most serious change for the UK in centuries. Certainly as a peacetime change. If I post on it, it’s because many others consider it serious, whether they agree or disagree with my remain view. I respect consider leave views. I respect those who can debate or argue, disagree or even get annoyed. You are in another small band.
Quite frankly, your last half a dozen posts or more have been nothing but rants and raves about the doom and gloom of Brexit! Your scenario will happen if people like you, and the Press, want it to but if other people with common sense prevail then the outcome will be very different? Time will tell which one of us is right!

Shane
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm By the way. The last sentence is genuine and not from me.
So why post it?

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm By the way. The last sentence is genuine and not from me.
So why post it?

Shane
Because it’s part of the story - the ridiculousness of someone protesting in favour of remaining, then decrying the UK and then encouraging her family to leave to go to Greece......

So, you want me to edit a news story?

You’re boring me now.... same old, same old....