Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

I don't care for your three pronged referendum, it splits the Brexiteers vote in half, that would more or less guarantee a remain result wouldn't it !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

What is 100% certain, is that NOBODY can say, that the UK is financially better off outside the EU single market. Even Fox admitted that any deal on the table at present (all 3 of them) would be worse than we have at present.

Those who voted Leave, had even less knowledge of what it implied, than they do today, so why is it so difficult for people to understand that a second vote is needed, as parliament cannot decide any course of action and it is 100% clear that people like Rees-Mogg are simply self-serving. Almost all the influencers within the Tories admit that the Party is more important than the country. What a state of affairs!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:13 pm Dominic

I don't care for your three pronged referendum, it splits the Brexiteers vote in half, that would more or less guarantee a remain result wouldn't it !

Jackie
No, you count both leave options towards leave overall, then choose the most prominent leave choice
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

OK point taken, but if it was to be 'leave' again, would the government back whichever 'leave' vote had the majority, or would we be back to square one, I think I know, as they can't even act on 'leave' now, God forbid they should be faced with an even more complicated leave vote. :roll:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

the sad fact is that none of the proposals for leaving the EU were voted for last night, neither was the option to have a second referendum, though that came closest.

Perhaps, rather than voting on each idea individually, the MPs need to list them in order of popularity? I don't know. They need to do something though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Most Remain, nor Leave voters look to be happy with anything proposed to be happening. The May deal is lambasted on sides. No deal is never going to get through parliament as these people, who know more than us on the street, know how bad it would be.

We are left with a parliament unable to find ANY way forward. I think that we therefore need to get the country to agree to either Remain, or Leave under some form of deal and that needs to be negotiated over a longer period. I don’t want that long period either, but we cannot have this uncertainty for ever.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
All future trade deals with the EU will be built around Mays deal; pull the rug on Mays deal in the futurel and you also pull it on the trade deals. That's why so many MPs are against it, it's being in the EU without the vote.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:48 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:27 pm the sad fact is that none of the proposals for leaving the EU were voted for last night, neither was the option to have a second referendum, though that came closest.

Perhaps, rather than voting on each idea individually, the MPs need to list them in order of popularity? I don't know. They need to do something though.
It is also a sad fact that none of the proposals actually deliver Brexit...that’s why not one of them got through. Even the 2nd Referendum vote wasn’t, it was a proposed “referendum” on a Deal, a confirmation vote...if the result of the referendum was “no” then that would just take us back to square one...We want to leave but how...
Did the motion actually state what the wording of the referendum would be?

My understanding was that it would be Remain or May's Deal.

Your understanding is obviously different. I just wondered if it was based on anything.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

"Which raises the blummin obvious question...what's the point?

Errrrmmmm €350 million???

Plus the humungous costs and expenses of the UK MEPs??

Plus the costs of the protracted EU armed forces, the costs of further immigration numbers.........................

Lloyd, as you very well know, the list is literally endless.

And heaven forbid we dare to mention the EU accounts which have never been signed off!!!
How many companies have you ever run where the accounts were never signed off??? About as many as me as a Financial Accountant I would guess - absolutely none!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

smudger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm "Which raises the blummin obvious question...what's the point?

Errrrmmmm €350 million???

Eh...... where is this £350m? That was a lie - didn't you know that? The real figure is £170m - which works out at 60p per week per worker (on average)

Plus the humungous costs and expenses of the UK MEPs??

That's included, as an accountant, surely you would know that "overall costs" include everything...

Plus the costs of the protracted EU armed forces, the costs of further immigration numbers.........................

Eh - what EU armed forces? The UK has always had a VETO on that, so it would never have happened, unless we wanted it.... and perhaps a combined force interfering in others wars, would be cheaper than a UK only one?

Lloyd, as you very well know, the list is literally endless.

Not is the costs come under OVERALL - keep up please....

And heaven forbid we dare to mention the EU accounts which have never been signed off!!!

Very true - a proper scandal... that should be addressed

How many companies have you ever run where the accounts were never signed off??? About as many as me as a Financial Accountant I would guess - absolutely none!

Have you seen audited accounts for the UK, out of interest?
The EU is FAR from perfect. In fact, much needs changed. From the outside, that's impossible.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I'm not an accountant but this may clarify to those who are more finance minded what the position is with EU finances.

Jim

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-auditor ... eu-budget/
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

What it should have always been was ,UK voted to Leave, UK to EU to both come up with general terms within 1yr of Article 50 being appllied,if they were not agreed on, it was Statutory No Deal,no extension.,that way neither side had the Upper Hand,then both worked it from there,UK Closed the Boarder..Besides remember a few things,when we joined the EU did the Public get asked no they were told,Remember the Treaty that they wanted every one to sign off[Sorry cannot remember the name], how many Countries voted no! only to have it re submitted exactly the same for them to suddenly vote YES! Southern Ireland was one of them if i remember correctly.Its ok to read to and watch the the totally biased BBC News or Sky News channels.

But your not living here in the UK,you all saw what was coming didnt like it moved for a better life! you obviously factored exchange rates were never going to be that great at times.Its changed badly over past 15yrs,everyone i know who voted leave did not because of the promised 350million to NHS,mainly immigration, jobs are not that great,housing is killing future for our children, House prices are now beyond reach of many,mortgage 20 yrs! uhmmm no, there now 35 yrs,Schools at bursting point.NHS crippled all from influx of open door,Un-elected EU Officials ,No Audited books

Communities some no go areas, oh and dont forget everything any Brit says is racist!

So Question is Mays deal any good..No its not ,So No Deal as above would have been better,as discussed above,so 3 yrs later were going to hit that 2 yrs wasted!! now whats angering people here,there wasted time and now PM offered to resign if her deal goes through and some MPS who voted No to her Deal,Say Yes they will because she is going to Leave,so again self interested MPs.

Will there be problems yes there will,like buying a house always a few hiccups along the way before it smooths out,Port of Calais announced yesterday there ready for no deal and everything is set that side so there will be very minimal disruptions,oh on bright note Facebook etc are censoring Brexit stuff,Even so far as friend of mine got a Visit from Anti Terrorism Police as he has been pretty vocal on leaving most of it has been about Guy Fawkes being the only Person to enter Parliament with good intentions! he was more annoyed as they came out for that ,but could not be bothered when someone nicked his motorbike!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

To get back to the subject,
The opinion on this thread is currently at nearly 6 million (may get there tomorrow)
The Commons will be debating this advisory petition on 1 April
It is almost certain that the debate will not result in any motion by the House
It may encourage Leavers to double their efforts.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Totally agree Hudswell, utter disgrace.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Whilst May is probably the worse prime minster I can remember in my lifetime (bearing in mind I am pushing 60), I must admit she did have a point this afternoon when summing up the rejection of her deal again.................'you don't want my deal, you don't want no deal, you don't want the 8 indicative options debated on Wednesday, what the F*** do you want ?' She didn't actually say the last bit, but I bet she wanted to.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

If it all goes the way it most likely will then we might well end up leaving with NO Deal after all on 12 April. Happy Days.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I would of expected this balls up, in a tin pot African country, but to see this shambles in the UK, not in a million years.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It will never be a no deal brexit.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Leave was voted in. I voted to stay. As a democracy it was done. I never agreed with it but a vote concluded we leave. End off.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

It is flipping horrible as a country.