Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

Re: Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Post by Jimgym »

ronk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm >jim your first sentence has me a little confused: "Having spoken to a few leave voters my opinion is that they wouldn’t be acting like spoilt entitled brats crying because they lost".

Do you mean that you believe Leave voters would not have behaved like some Remain voters have had the "Leave" side lost the referendum? i.e. you mean "if they had lost" not "because they lost" (they didn't)

Referenda in UK are not legally binding as far as I know..but by a majority of 498 MPs to 114 MPs voted in favour of Mrs May triggering Article 50 in February 2017.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 58291.html
Apologies Ronk, I should have worded it better and will amend. Thanks for pointing it out and reminding me to proof read things before posting!
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Just looked at the petition graph the Photo Lady posted – Seemed to go flat out for the first three days but now seems to have lost its breath – I would be surprised now if it makes 7 million as the graph seems to be levelling off already
Mark

Post by Mark »

Les

Superb well thought out post.

Thank you
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

I really really like your post Les Bean. . . . . . . . because right now, in politics . . . . . . . I don't know my A*se from my El*ow?? X Thankyou for giving your opinion.

Maggie B
Varky

Post by Varky »

Mr Bean,
If what you say is true, wouldn't the powers that existed when the referendum was called, being more remainer than brexiteer, have ensured that those who voted were more likely to vote 'remain'.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

He is so worried that there will be no Brexit at all he and others apparently are going to back Mays deal after all, what a paper hat!
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am Ironic that Rees-Mogg now wants to vote on May's deal (3rd time) because of new information and a change of circumstances
Isn't it great. Finally it seems that the will of the majority who voted will be adhered to. Democracy is a wonderful thing.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgym

I won't believe it until I see it, too many liars and cheats in power, all out for themselves at the end of the day.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Apparently the Government has rejected the Petition. I am sure Elvis and Mickey Mouse will be disappointed.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It's interesting to note that democracy is a one way street to many on here, quite put out that Remainers have the audacity to suggest a second referendum but are very supportive of May putting forward her failed plan for a third or even a possible fourth attempt to get what after all is a very poor deal through parliament.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm It's interesting to note that democracy is a one way street to many on here, quite put out that Remainers have the audacity to suggest a second referendum but are very supportive of May putting forward her failed plan for a third or even a possible fourth attempt to get what after all is a very poor deal through parliament.

Jim
Personally I would welcome a second referendum Jim, AFTER the result of the first one has been enacted and had time to settle in. To me, that is democracy in action, as I have stated on here many times. I
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Say for arguments sake there was to be a second referendum, and the vote was the same, leave, would the remainers put up and shut up, I guess not !

Ludicrous to even suggest a second referendum, the government doesn't want to act upon the result of the first one !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

No, on 2 accounts! Firstly, there isn't going to be a second referendum and secondly the remainers won't put up and shut up anyway!

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

DUP aren’t backing her.... and another shambles of a day in parliaments;

I think the only option is;

Second referendum with two choices - Remain or Leave - plus a further option of, if Leave wins, then No Deal or May’s deal
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think they should have a referendum with three options:

1. Remain
2. No Deal
3. May's Deal

If Remain gets over 50%, then remain. If not, then whoever came second wins. That way, the leavers won't get their vote split, which would be unfair.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:59 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm It's interesting to note that democracy is a one way street to many on here, quite put out that Remainers have the audacity to suggest a second referendum but are very supportive of May putting forward her failed plan for a third or even a possible fourth attempt to get what after all is a very poor deal through parliament.

Jim
Personally I would welcome a second referendum Jim, AFTER the result of the first one has been enacted and had time to settle in. To me, that is democracy in action, as I have stated on here many times. I
Hi Alan
If your're quite happy to risk losing the EU rebates, joining the Schengen agreement and becoming part of the Euro area that's the way to go. We presently hold a good few opt_outs but if we do leave and vote to rejoin we will lose them all.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The problem I see in those choices is, how will people know exactly what is in all the pages of 'May's Deal' ??
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
Wrong again; her agreement ties us to the EU without any say in the running of the EU and there's no walking away at a later date without putting us back to where we are right now.
I have read several synopses from both remain and leave groups and the general consensus it's a bad deal that leaves us worse off than the deal we have now.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

So presumably if a second referendum were to happen we could ignore the result and carry on could we? What is the point of people voting if it’s going to be ignored?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 am
Jimgym wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Jim
Jim it’s irrelevant what I am happy to lose. I’m merely pointing out that the wishes of the majority who voted should be carried out. I didn’t vote in the referendum as I could t decide what to do. However I feel very strongly about the result being acted upon.
Hi Alan
If your're quite happy to risk losing the EU rebates, joining the Schengen agreement and becoming part of the Euro area that's the way to go. We presently hold a good few opt_outs but if we do leave and vote to rejoin we will lose them all.

Jim